Best Starting Battery for an Opti

FlatOutAlly

. . . . I always replace them as soon as the warranty runs out!
Just curious, but Why? The vast majority of battery warranties are pro-rated anyhow. Short of running your Skater in the North Sea, batteries don't suffer instantaneous catastrophic failures very often.

Please post a picture of the battery store girl. Thanks.

Last edited:

BP1

Even though there are seemingly hundreds of brands,there are only 3 battery manufacturers, so I suggest you purchase your battery somewhere convenient in case a warranty situation arise.
I purchase mine at WalMart, because I can select the freshest ones from the rack and if one fails while I'm out of town...well are you ever too far from a Wally World?

harrells

Try the optima battery it is sealed so nothing leaks out. And I would suggest useing a battery tender, they have a small waterproof unit the size of a cigerette pack that keeps the battery at a constant level.

GotMyAlly

If you are using an optima on an optimax, get the biggest one you can and get the one with the dark grey case (its a dedicated cranking batt).

nickens21

Is that the one with the red top?? The bass pro crank batt that I bought dropped the voltage down to 12.0 and not starting my mota. It is less than a year old. They said they will replace it with a new one at no charge. When I go there today I will see if they have the optima and just pay the difference. Thanks......

GotMyAlly

It's a blue top, but there are two different blue tops. One has a light gray case. That is a deep cycle. The one with the dark gray case is the cranker.

GotMyAlly

I had the same voltage issues when I tried to crank off a deep cycle/light gray case optima. Sometimes it would not start if the voltage was too low. Sometimes it would start but run in limp mode until the alternator charged it back up all the way.

nickens21

The only ones the bass pro here has is the dual purpose/light grey bottom. The guy at bps says it can be used for either cranking or trolling. It does have 1000cca. Will this work or should I find the dark grey bottom strickly for cranking?? Thanks........