Bilge area issue - is this major??

DaveW

Hi all :cool

I had to replace my bilge pump in the XTB-21 yesterday and found something strange.

The metal strap that holds it to the bottom of the boat is held down by 4 screws (two either side of the pump).

When I unsrcrewed the one on the port stern side water was definitely coming up out of the hole, the one on the starbord stern side didn't have water coming out, and the two are only an inch (if that) apart.

I've been out in some very wet weather lately (it's raining here now) and maybe some had soaked through the screw hole??

This water was coming up out of the hull and I thought this area was fully sealed/foam filled with no chance of water getting in.

Should I be worried?

Dave

Blue Gray in PA

I'd suggest you try using a shop vac and suck the water out of the hole to see if there's a little or a lot. I replaced mine last year with no issue like that - you're supposed to use sealer on screws when possible. I'd also double-check to make sure no one used a longer screw and went through the bottom - but that's highly unlikely.

John S

I'd also double-check to make sure no one used a longer screw and went through the bottom - but that's highly unlikely.
Not as unlikely as you think. My first ally, coincidentally an xtb-21, had both battery boxes mounted with through hull screws. Never underestimate the lack of common sense of people!

JR

That sounds painful without even saying it......
Been there-done that. Found my battery bouncing around and the screws were pulled through so I poured the holes with epoxy and used a larger diameter screw that was 1/8" longer. I ended up with the point through the gel-coat. Jack fixed it when he re-gel-coated my hull. The battery box need an embedded metal plate like the seat bases for those of us who beat our hulls frequently.
JR

newell

DaveW,

I have to replace mine as well in a XTB21. Can you give the process you went through to get to it.

Any pointers you can give or any "DON'T DO THIS" input?

Thanks,