Bill Dance

whipper

I hope he means to be like that or he should stick to a rowboat and a pocket fisherman. Thats funny I had that on my email at work a while ago funny stuff.

fishnfireman

I hope he means to be like that or he should stick to a rowboat and a pocket fisherman. Thats funny I had that on my email at work a while ago funny stuff.
I don't think he means to...

After 20+years of watchin Bill (I think ) he is just an accident looking for an oppertunity............Or just a big Clutzz with a capital K..

RedAllison

Dennis he is a HOOT in real life. I must admit that he takes jokes in stride. Before he signed with BPS he used to do alot of PR work for my step-brothers stores and we got to know him and his staff fairly well (he also lives nextdoor too my oldest step-brother east of Memphis). Alot of the jokes were honest on his part, some of the equipment was jerry rigged by his son (Bill Jr. who is a neat guy) and camera crew without his approval.

The trolling motor coming off in his hand just puts me in tears and on the floor. Talk about holding a tiger by the tail. The one of him in the johboat when they disconnect the drawbar on the hitch (without disconnecting the straps on the trailer) is another hysterical clip. He has the oldest, continously running fishing show in history (I believe it was started in the early/mid 70s) so there are YEARS and HOURS of bloopers. Anyone remember the old footage from TX in the 70s where he sets the hook, the seat breaks from the pedestal and KERSPLASH! But ever the fisherman, he came up spitting water and with rod in hand. The fish was still on, just on the OTHERSIDE of the boat!

A true ambassador of the sport,
RA

ps
Here ya go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAHYR5DnZE

Last edited:

BigRedAlli

Didn't he have Jerry Reed on a few of his shows???

I rember Mr. Reed fishin with someone and it was always a great show. I might be think'in of Hank Parker, but I got CRS..:oops:

RedAllison

Your right, Jerry Reed was on Dance's shows several times. They were actually very good friends as a matter of fact. Bill fished with alot of the old Nashville guard back when. Mmmmmel Tillis, Jerry Clower, Porter Wagoner, Lil Jimmy Dickens, Jimmy Dean all those old guys really liked to fish and Dance took alot of them on occasion.

I remember the first time I ever saw Dance at a boat ramp when I was a kid. (This was before I would get to meet him and do business with him a few years later in the sporting goods business.) It was on a lake called Lakeview, a former river oxbow off the MS River just south of Memphis. My grandfather was backing the boat down the ramp (I was driving) and down the ramp comes Dance, he was testing out a brand new Bass Tracker he had just recieved. You woulda thought I had just met Elvis. He recognized my grandfather because he had taught my grandfather in a "bass class" about 10 years earlier. He told us of a few spots to try and we saw him breaking in that new boat. I might've been 12 or so at the time.

He's just "another guy" on the streets of Memphis. He's always been very approachable and conversational. That's why he has been such a PR guru in the industry!
RA

hack02

I saw an episode one time where he jumped into the water because he couldn't get a fish untangled from the bank. He said to the guy in the boat "theres no snakes in these waters are there", and the guy said "no, I think the alligators ate them all". Dance really scrambled to get back into the boat.
He used to fish tournaments also. I remember reading about him fishing within a couple of miles of the starting point of a tournament while everyone else fished miles away and he won the tournament.
He's fished with a ton of famous people. Didn't he fish with Bush 1 one time?

Darth VMAX

Bill is the man for sure. I still never miss an episode, especially when he is not on that same body of trophy fish water that he seems to film 90% of his shows on. I miss the shows that were filmed on reseviors, rivers/streams and oxbows.
His genuine bloopers are funny as crap and the staged ones are stilll good for a chuckle.

One day I would like to meet him.

RedAllison

Yeah Dmax they film quite a bit in the strip pit lakes on the old Bostic Plantation in Florida. The lakes are FULL of 4-7# fish that are very predictable and the weather is co-operative so it makes for profitable and sure film production. One of his personal favorite lakes to fish is Pickwick, especially for smallmouth. But he just doesn't get to do it as much anymore and for sure the prime time to catch a 30# sack of brownies is during the early spring and the weather and conditions simply make it to un-predictable to reliably plan on filming there. I've heard from several who have fished it with him that he knows more places and objects in that lake than most people who live and guide on it.

I agree that I would like to see him get back out on the resevoirs but I also understand how expensive and time consuming that can be as well. Production schedules must be made a year or more in advance and look at the variables that can happen the day before filming is set to begin (weather, water levels etc). I've heard it said by more than one pro with a show that for appx 15 minutes of actual useable footage, it takes 1 full day to get that much film "in the can". That means that on average it takes at least 2 nice, productive days fished for each 30 minute show.

Dance was an EXCELLENT pro fisherman. In the early 70s he statistically outran the competition (and that included Roland Martin) I believe I saw a statistic once that said he won 75% of the pro tournaments he entered over a 2-3 year period. Can you imagine what would happen today if someone could win that many of the majors in a few consecutive seasons? Such an angler would be expected to get out of the boat and walk on water.

Dance gave up tournament fishing to pursue the TV show, sponsor appearances and to devote more time at home with his family. Pretty admirable, but I still would like to have seen what would have happened had he stayed on the B.A.S.S. tour for another decade or so. As much as I like and respect Roland Martin I think Dance would've rewritten the record books and Mr. Martin's historical record would've been a shorter list!

I was talking on the phone with Bill Jr. a couple of years ago (he was having us order some hunting equipment for himself and his crew) and I asked him about his dad. I asked him if his dad liked to hunt. He said that Dance was kind of a fair weather hunter. He might or might not get up for a hunt and about the only thing he really half way enjoyed then was an occasional dove hunt. LOL Jr. told me that his dad had overslept many times for hunts yet too this day he STILL gets excited and wakes up early, rearing to go when fishing is on the agenda. I guess he truly is a born fisherman, first, foremost and nearly exclusively. In fact several years ago Mr. Dance bought a sizable tract of land east of Memphis that has some great hunting on it. But Jr. told me that his dad simply did it for others in the family and company to hunt on, I want to say the he said that his dad had actually never hunted on it.

!-!
RA