Boatbuckle versus turnbuckle?

ScottB

How many have made the switch to a Boatbuckle bow tie-down system?

I towed the new ride with the turnbuckle when I brought her home, and did not think this was a good system. I already ordered a new bow eye, as it is pretty torn-up from years of trailering with a turnbuckle.

If you moved to the Boatbuckle, I would love to see how you attached this to the front of the trailer.

ROBERT CROSS

The ratcheting model?

IMHO I would rather have a metal turnbuckle on the bow eye. Stretching web with ratchet lugs is on the stern....all metal keeps it on the trailer.

Bob

ScottB

Yes, I was looking at the ratcheting style boat buckle for the bow. Given the turnbuckle loosens up as you go down the road, I worry this is worse in the long run.

I would thinking that if you tighten the bow first with the ratchet-styled system, and then the stern tie-downs, you would be OK.

GotMyAlly

I found the limits of the turnbuckle when I had my accident a few years ago. The turnbuckle hook straightened, but the straps on my transom held. I'm still using the turnbuckle on my new boat, but I'd have to think the strap is stronger.

Dave Hensley

I bought a boat with a neat set up on the bow hook for the front winch. It has a stainless steel 1/4" chain attached to the winch post and then to the eye of the hook on the winch. It will only let the boat move back about one foot from the bow roller but it is a simple set up. You can't winch the boat up on the trailer without taking the chain loose but I usually am close enough to grap the bow and pull it up my hand after floating it on. Heavier boats would be a problem. It just keeps from having two hooks jammed in the old style, smaller front bow eye on the Allison's.

ROBERT CROSS

I've never had the T buckle loosen while towing, even on our Ark to NY pick-up trip.
I do keep both the web and T-buckle attached, plus I always draw the bow down first, and loosen everything up when on the pad.

GMA...
Thats a lot of pull to straighten that hook, did the eye/glass hold?

Bob

catfish123

Something to consider, and this is just MHO..........based on my XB2003 and how it originally sat on the trailer. The boat, with 13.5" setback and a 2.5 liter motor, sat very "nose high" in relation to the bow stop roller. I always believed that for it to be "right", the bow should have just touched or rested on that bow roller WITHOUT having to apply quite a bit of downward pressure with a turnbuckle etc, to get it there. These boats, trailers, may not all be the same and I realize that, but with mine, the bow was easily 1" - 1.5" above the roller without cranking down on it. When enough pressure was applied to it to pull it down, you could see the trailer flexing as the bottom of the boat was forced down onto it. I never thought that was a good idea. The old style bow eye that I had would become "chewed up" quickly from that pressure. I had replaced the bow eye several times. My "fix" was to replace the 2 upright bunks with bunks that were higher in the rear than in the front so the boat would be angled down more allowing the nose of the boat to just barely contact the roller without having to apply great force to pull it down. I also replaced the old style bow eye with one that doesn't have the "fancy chrome" covering it that so quickly was destroyed. Just sharing this for what it may be worth. My boat is now no longer forced down onto the 2 lower v bunks that were never intended to support the hull, but were there for guiding the boat when loading it onto the trailer. I use only a rather small chain then from the winch stand with a hook on the end of it that easily goes through the different style bow eye. Although my chain does then attach to the bow eye, it allows the boat to only move back a few inches. It becomes just a safety precaution in case the winch strap for some reason wouldn't hold the boat in the loaded position.

Last edited:

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like an alternative to the turn buckle. I put a wing nut on mine and use it as a lock nut to keep it from loosening.

GotMyAlly

GMA...
Thats a lot of pull to straighten that hook, did the eye/glass hold?
They eye and the glass came out unscathed. I would have thought it would have pulled the eye through the glass....but these hulls are apparently quite strong in that respect. I'll have to see if I can find a pic. My boat moved forward enough to contact the back of my truck.

GotMyAlly

Although my chain does then attach to the bow eye, it allows the boat to only move back a few inches. It becomes just a safety precaution in case the winch strap for some reason wouldn't hold the boat in the loaded position.
I always thought slack in the chain was a bad idea. If something did go wrong, wouldn't it take a lot more strain to stop an object already in motion, vs preventing it from sliding on the trailer in the first place? I'd think the shock load would put a lot more stress on everything compared to a system that was already tight.

catfish123

Although I understand what you are saying, I never viewed the turnbuckle or a ratcheting device as something to prevent the boat from moving in an accident. I know I don't like the idea of the constant downward force of the hull onto the trailer, with enough pressure to cause the trailer to flex. I may be missing something, but in your picture, I don't see how either a turnbuckle or a ratcheting device would have kept your trailer from coming around in what I'll call nearly a jack-knifed position. It does not appear the boat has moved forward, actually, it isn't up to the bow roller stop.

Last edited:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate having to use a turnbuckle to make it sit like they should. I should be able to winch it up, hook on a safety chain and call it a day. The turnbuckle wind do a thing in a wreck, but gotta have it or the boat just bounces on the bow roller.

ROBERT CROSS

I hate having to use a turnbuckle to make it sit like they should. I should be able to winch it up, hook on a safety chain and call it a day. The turnbuckle wind do a thing in a wreck, but gotta have it or the boat just bounces on the bow roller.
I never thought the TB was there to make sit right. Maybe I'm using it rong.

I winch on, up to the roller, snug the rear tie-downs, then use TB to pull down to secure/spread the weight on the bunks, re-check the rear.

Bob

catfish123

Robert.......in the picture of your boat on the trailer, the bow of the boat is quite a bit higher than the bow roller. Do you normally let it like that or do you use the turnbuckle to pull it down against the roller? The turnbuckle should not be there to make it sit right, it should sit right without it, but most of the ones I've seen are like yours, the turnbuckle I believe should merely hold the bow in place, not have to pull it down to the point of flexing the trailer and putting pressure on the bottom of the boat.

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

When both front and rear is loosened it will lift just off the bow roller.
I never leave it locked down while parked on the pad.

Bob

The Cashew Kid

Although I understand what you are saying, I never viewed the turnbuckle or a ratcheting device as something to prevent the boat from moving in an accident. I know I don't like the idea of the constant downward force of the hull onto the trailer, with enough pressure to cause the trailer to flex. I may be missing something, but in your picture, I don't see how either a turnbuckle or a ratcheting device would have kept your trailer from coming around in what I'll call nearly a jack-knifed position. It does not appear the boat has moved forward, actually, it isn't up to the bow roller stop.
Look closely, the bow roller is folded over to the side.

bec

Something to consider, and this is just MHO..........based on my XB2003 and how it originally sat on the trailer. The boat, with 13.5" setback and a 2.5 liter motor, sat very "nose high" in relation to the bow stop roller. I always believed that for it to be "right", the bow should have just touched or rested on that bow roller WITHOUT having to apply quite a bit of downward pressure with a turnbuckle etc, to get it there. These boats, trailers, may not all be the same and I realize that, but with mine, the bow was easily 1" - 1.5" above the roller without cranking down on it. When enough pressure was applied to it to pull it down, you could see the trailer flexing as the bottom of the boat was forced down onto it. I never thought that was a good idea. The old style bow eye that I had would become "chewed up" quickly from that pressure. I had replaced the bow eye several times. My "fix" was to replace the 2 upright bunks with bunks that were higher in the rear than in the front so the boat would be angled down more allowing the nose of the boat to just barely contact the roller without having to apply great force to pull it down. I also replaced the old style bow eye with one that doesn't have the "fancy chrome" I agree tcovering it that so quickly was destroyed. Just sharing this for what it may be worth. My boat is now no longer forced down onto the 2 lower v bunks that were never intended to support the hull, but were there for guiding the boat when loading it onto the trailer. I use only a rather small chain then from the winch stand with a hook on the end of it that easily goes through the different style bow eye. Although my chain does then attach to the bow eye, it allows the boat to only move back a few inches. It becomes just a safety precaution in case the winch strap for some reason wouldn't hold the boat in the loaded position.
I agree:beer: