Boatmate trailer brakes

resqu-u

Hi guys,
I had the right drum lock up on me yesterday at the ramp. Nursed it home (5miles) and pulled it all a part. It seems to be the slave cylinder is locked up. The question is should I replace both drums with disc brakes, replace both drums with new drums, or replace the slaves. I would have been up the creek if not a few miles from the house. What have you guys done with your trailer brakes. Thanks Shane

ziemer

Hi guys,
I had the right drum lock up on me yesterday at the ramp. Nursed it home (5miles) and pulled it all a part. It seems to be the slave cylinder is locked up. The question is should I replace both drums with disc brakes, replace both drums with new drums, or replace the slaves. I would have been up the creek if not a few miles from the house. What have you guys done with your trailer brakes. Thanks Shane
If it were me, I'd save some money and eliminate them. More money and hassle than they're worth on a 2500 lb rig (In my opinion) :beer:

xb03

Yep, I don't have any trailer brakes and I tow with a silverado with no problems.

xb03fs

I tow with a trailblazer and kinda wish I had them at times

dragmerc

don't waste your money on drum brakes. either convert to UFP disc or disable/remove the drum brakes. i converted both my trailers for about $350 each and did the work myself. i just like knowing i have them in a panic stop situation.

SLOmofo

I disagree about no brakes. I have a friend that jack knifed a 88 F250 dual cab 4 by 4 pick up pulling his boat once. Another full size PU that jack knifed. Both involved deer. I almost hit one in a corner at speed, if I didn't have trailer brakes I probably wouldn't be typing this.
Both my boat trailers have drum brakes, the Champion is surge and the Allison is electric.
With a Prodigy controller it can be set up any way you need to. The brakes apply when the brake lights come on and the unit senses deceleration. Harder decel more brakes. I can also apply the trailer brakes by moving the lever with my hand. I transfer the controller between the motor home, Tacoma and the PRIUS !

OK, I only use it to move the boat in and out if I need the second stall/rack

Last edited:

BGohr

etrailer.com disc brake kit complete 379 actuator lines everthing

thegoop

Are brakes optional or standard on the boatmate? I have a single axle and do not believe I have brakes. Don't you also need a modulator in your vehicle? I think it depends on your route and driving habits. I pull a 2300 lbs camper with a 3.6 liter Chrysler no problem. I have brakes and a modulator but you don't need brakes unless you are comin' round the mountain.

xb03fs

I don't know if my trailblazer stops fast enough to jackknife the trailer. thats the problem on downhill stopps such as hiway off ramps I can tell it pushes the trailblazer 3 to 5 feet more than a normal stop..

patches

Main thing is don't drive like a bonehead and you'll be fine. If a deer runs out in front of you, hit the deer. That goes whether you have a boat on your truck or not :)

resqu-u

Main thing is don't drive like a bonehead and you'll be fine. If a deer runs out in front of you, hit the deer. That goes whether you have a boat on your truck or not :)
:big buck Very possible on the deer Patches, I live in the sticks of eastern NC LOL. I think I'm going to try and change the slave and clean things up. Should cost me around 25 bucks and a few cold beers this weekend. I fish brackish water a lot and hate to spend big bucks. I'll more than likely be going to an aluminum within a few years and hate to waste the funds. I'll update on how it works out. Thanks for all the input guys, going to play it safe either way

wasmeneh

Just saw where your at, I remember a Regional Tournament up on the Chowan when one of the guys hit a bear and totaled his dodge. You got to be careful in your neck of the woods.
Mike