brake dust

GotMyAlly

Anybody tried putting any better quality brake pads on their trailer to cut down on the brake dust? Mine makes a nasty mess out of the wheels. Just 1 trip soots 'em up good.

The Whip

Judging by the lack of response, I assume it's not a common problem. I have not noticed a excessive brake dust problem on mine or many of my customers with UFP brakes. You may have a slight brake dragging problem. A 5% brake application over 30 miles will cause excessive dust. Difficult to check because it may only do this when the system is hot. But I have diagnosed a caliper hose problem that would cause an overheated brake system, but only after the fluid was a certain temp.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS

GotMyAlly

When I get home from the lake, I can immediately unhook and push it back in the garage by hand. I'd think if the brakes were dragging, even 5%, I'd break my back before I could push the trailer. But I may be wrong about that. I may jack one up after my next tow home and spin the wheel and see if there is any dragging. Should be plenty warm after 90 miles from Pickwick to my house.

The Whip

Jack up both wheels at the same time and check. Even if there is no dragging then, doesn't mean you don't have a dragging problem. Let me know how you make out.
Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS

Thomas H

Just Went through This On My Truck

What I found out is that if you have metalic disc brake pads you are going to get brake pad dust, usually a lot of it even when working properly. When I did my last brake job on my Dodge truck I switched to ceramic brake pads, minimal cost difference, no more problems!

champ198

Neal, mine are covered (on the brake axle). I think I have one that works a little harder than the other. I get some good brake dust.

merc326

If you have disk brakes and are not using ceramic pads then you are going to get brake dust. Even ceramic pads will put off some dust. I'm an Ase certified mechanic with over 25 years of pulling wrenches and thats my opinion. You do need to check for brake drag as others have said, do it when your fluid is hot. I have fixed brake drag several times by just changing the old fluid. Brake fluid will break down over time from the heat. Also check for the pads wearing uneven. A little is fine but when there is a big difference then you have a problem. If all checks out then get you some disk brake dust shields and your problem is solved.

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
If you have disk brakes and are not using ceramic pads then you are going to get brake dust. Even ceramic pads will put off some dust. I'm an Ase certified mechanic with over 25 years of pulling wrenches and thats my opinion. You do need to check for brake drag as others have said, do it when your fluid is hot. I have fixed brake drag several times by just changing the old fluid. Brake fluid will break down over time from the heat. Also check for the pads wearing uneven. A little is fine but when there is a big difference then you have a problem. If all checks out then get you some disk brake dust shields and your problem is solved.
that is correct,bleed out the burnt fluid. every so many thousand miles. and always use factory pads!

SLOmofo

30 years ago when I was still forced to work on BMW's the panty waste owners complained about brake dust. I always told the service writers and manager "that was what soap and water was for". Some would later come in whining about their brakes wearing out to soon and why did they have to replace the rotors when they did the pads. The ones that before complained about dust and now were complaining about wear had those dust shields on. I wouldn't ever tell someone they could use them, but we all make decisions.