By-pass neutral safety switch...

ROBERT CROSS

Would like to eliminate the "clunk" when running my 28p.

What color wires am i looking for? Are they easier to access at the ign switch or shifter?
Was told I could get to them thru the cup holder on the GS, better than trying to get my fat head behind the dash,:banghead

Bob

whipper

Just remember that its accually illegal to do so and also if you sell the GS ever make sure you put the wires back. I have mine done this way also. Gary slomo has a great way of doing this. He has a button hooked up so to start in gear you have to push it or somthing like that. Good saftey idam when kids are playing around in the boat.

propmanjay

Just run a hot lead to a button and then to the starter seliniod. It will ingauge the starter any time you push the button. I have ran all my rigs this way.

B HEBERT

I need to do mine. I was told to put push pin connectors on the wires in case it needs to be put back to original.

ROBERT CROSS

The button route seems like a good solution, if necessary just un-plug and connect the wires back together.

May just put the button out of sight but handy, but wait a minute....the shifter has a trim button in it......ummmm might work?

Bob

SLOmofo

Access the yellow w/red tracer wires. Splice in to each side/wire. run both these new wires to a momentary switch. I located mine slightly under the dash/helm. Now a great pic but you can see it under the right trim switch.
When you want to start in gear you'll have to do two things. 1. hold the new button and 2. turn the key switch. Without holding the button you/ anyone not knowing will have to place the shifter into neutral.
If you every get checked the neutral safety switch will work as it should and I doubt anyone will look any further.
This should keep the children playing BOAT and your know it all brother in law from having an accident.

Attachments

Texan

I've started in gear since day one. When I service the lower unit, I've NEVER seen any shavings accumulated on the plug. Occasionally I will shift to neutral with the engine running, but never have put into gear when running.

Mine came that way from the original owner, too.

ROBERT CROSS

Followed my Daddy's advice....KISS, keep it stupid, simple.:confused:

GSE has the turn signal trim switches.

Powered up the trim switch on the shifter, connected the blu/wht and grn/wht from the trim/switch, to the yel/red starter wire.

I don't think the starter will draw more than trim pumps as they both run thru a solenoid.

Best of both worlds, can't start without the key, switch on, put in gear, hit the shifter trim button and 'yer off. Plus the NSS still works. :laughing

Anyone see a problem?, input!!

Can I PLEASE be a Rednek now?

Bob

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

Naw Whip....no letricle in me.

But I did have to sit around yesterday figger'n out what I wanted to forget to make room for what I was think'n 'bout now.:LMAO:

Bob

ROBERT CROSS

The button route seems like a good solution, if necessary just un-plug and connect the wires back together.

May just put the button out of sight but handy, but wait a minute....the shifter has a trim button in it......ummmm might work?

Bob
Tried it yesterday.

IT WORKS.....GREAT!! :very happy

Removed the drivers cup holder and the yellow/red wires were right there, (thanx TBuck). Found the round three wire connector for the shifter neutral switch. Left the red power wire connected and cut the blu/wht & grn/wht wires and spliced them into the yel/red starter wire.

I can now start it in neutral with the key or in gear with the shifter trim button.

Should have done it long ago!! :idiot

Bob

Last edited:

whipper

Tried it yesterday.

IT WORKS.....GREAT!! :very happy

Removed the drivers cup holder and the yellow/red wires were right there, (thanx TBuck). Found the round three wire connector for the shifter trim switch. Left the red power wire connected and cut the blu/wht & grn/wht wires and spliced them into the yel/red starter wire.

I can now start it in neutral with the key or in gear with the shifter trim button.

Should have done it long ago!! :idiot

Bob
I like that idea. Mines just disconnected but yours has an added safety feature.

Allyfishing

I like your ideas. I want to do the same. On the XB21 the key/ignition switch is in front of the shifter mounted separately. I removed the 4 screws holding it in place and found a yellow/red wire coming out of the back of the ignition switch. I pulled on it a bit and found the rest of it tucked up closer to the foot throttle. Is this the wire you guys are referring to? I don't have to try to find a wire coming from the shifter do I?

It looks like the yellow/red wire coming from the ignition switch is butt connected to the same color wire and goes back under the fiberglass where I can't get at it. I'm assuming then that it goes to the spring loaded shifter button with the rubber boot on it in the shifter "N" position??

So just disconnect the butt connectors and splice together (the ones coming from the ign switch?? Right?/

Sorry to sound stupid and don't mean to hijack this Robert!!

ROBERT CROSS

No problem Greg,

The yellow/red wires from the neutral safety switch were pretty easy to find on my GS, right where Todd said they would be,(remove cup holder @ shifter), one of them goes to the starter relay, just have to make sure thats the one you splice into.

The trim button wires were a little harder to find, they are three wires going into a round plug connector one red, one blu/wht and one grn/wht. They were tucked up behind the ignition switch area. Leave the connector plugged together and cut the B/W and G/W. (I left enough coming out of the plug in case I wanted to return it to stock). These are the wires you splice into the yellow/red going to the starter. BOTH wires get spliced to that wire, that way you can use both up and down to engage the starter. The neutral plug your looking for is about the same diameter as a three prong turn signal flasher with the same spade configuration. I used the scotch-loc splice connectors with a little RTV and a small zip tie around them. Easy to take apart if needed.

Good Luck...post the results. Gotta go we off to the water!!!!

Bob

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

On the new GS....pictures may help.
Behind the dash is a wiring web mash-up....it was easier to isolate only the wires that went back to the motor & came from the shifter,(yellow/red come out from the back of the shifter)

Under the drivers cup holder

Red wire...power for the shifter trim switch's.
Blue & white & Green & white, up/down.

Two wires, yellow w/red stripe from the neutral safety switch.
Use test light & find the one that energizes the starter with the key.

Cut both wires from the trim switches & splice together...splice those wires to the yellow/red starter wire, I used a wire nut & sealed with 3m 5200 quick cure.

Last edited: