Carpet Glue removal

Jay Martin

Just got my new carpet in today for my XB03 so I' getting everything ready to start the big job. Question is "What works best (fast) to remove the old glue"?

Last edited:
J

John Richied

Just got my new carpet in today for my XB03 so I' getting everything ready to start the big job. Question is "What works best (fast) to remove the old glue"?
I recommend a wide… like 4” wide chisel/paint scraper.
Buy a quality heavy duty high carbon one that keeps a sharp edge.
And get busy baby, it ain’t fast!

pickwickangler

I used a da sander with a 60 grit disk. Cleaned all the glue off the entire boat in just a few minutes.

B HEBERT

I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel. You don't have to remove all the glue, the new glue will melt the old glue. Just be sure to get all the old carpet backing off.

allisonjr

hand scraper, and then a bottle of motrin for the nxt day

Jay Martin

The faster the better, might give the 60 grit a spin. I have a wide blade scraper.
Someone suggested a heat gun and scraper, might try that to.

allisonjr

i did it a couple years ago on my old 2002 and it was a lot of hard work but man was it worth it! my glue was really crusted up and the scraper took 80% off for me. The grinder would be faster just wear a good dust mask

xb03fs

drill with wire brush on alluninum lids very quick, scrraper on other parts not too bad once you get the lids and hardware off just time consuming

jay j

If its contact cement, orangish in color, lacquer thinner it the ticket

Fishforcash

Acetone and a 4" and a 2" putty knife. Its easy, pour the acetone into a old dish soap bottle and soak the glue let it sit for about 30 seconds and start scraping.

PS: Make sure your hull isnt painted. Acetone will eat up paint but wont hurt gel

boater777777

I used a SHARP 2 inch putty knife resharpened it a couple times for the worst or it then hand sanded the rest.

2HOT4U

jay listen up bud. use an orbital sander w/ 500 to 1000 grit. comes off with a snap . Just did mine last year & its been on there since 97.

Good luck
keno

Jay Martin

Well it's done, The old glue wasn't so bad. I figured out real qiuck to keep the bench grinder running so to keep the scraper good and sharp.
I kept with my time and have a total of 11 hours start to finish, over two days of course.
The Allison carpet was a perfect fit, 100% top quality for sure.

Jay Martin

GASoline...will wipe it right off....

Just make Dang sure there is no ignition point and a fireman did not say this !!!!!!!!
As a matter a fact I did use a little gas on a couple of the rear deck lids, some of that old glue just didn't want to leave home without a fight...:big grin:big grin...