Carpet

wc911

What glue are yall using to put your carpet down with? Does the carpet kit that comes from Allison have the piece that is under the front deck on a 03? I know it doesnt come with the carpet for the side boxes. Didnt want to take it out and it not be in there and is there something you can just spray or pour the old glue to get it off ?

wc911

Looks good. Did you get all the old glue off before you put the new down. I wish the 03 was as easy as the 02!!!! Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

[/IMG]I just did my GS with 1167 carpet glue and 3m 98 contact adhesive on some of the edges. I was chicken to mess with the dap since it was my first go at the carpet... Anyway you can find the 1167 at basspro and other online retailers. The 3m is at Lowes and Depot usually. I know the Dap is really good stuff I was just a little nervous it might stick before I had it placed just so.... the carpet glue gives you time to move it some ( a little wiggle room)

The worst is getting all the glue up and getting ready to lay the carpet down. It was well worth it though!

Last edited:

wc911

How much glue did it take to put it down F2008 and LakeAnna ? What did you put it down with !!! Did you put the glue on the boat and carpet or just the boat and why?

Last edited:

F2008

Looks good. Did you get all the old glue off before you put the new down. I wish the 03 was as easy as the 02!!!! Thanks for the input.
I got most but not all of the old glue off. (As you can see in the pics in my old post) Once the old carpet was off I scraped what I could off with a putty knife. Then I used an orbital sander to remove and level it out so the surface was fairly flat and there was no loose material that would let go later on. As long as you're working with a gel surface lacquer thinner does a good job of loosening and removing most adhesives.

Carpet replacement in an 02 is a breeze, nowhere near the work of an 03.

LakeAnna

I used 3/4 of a gallon in the grandsport and that's doing under that bow too, which is the largest and biggest pita of it all.

F2008

I was close to that, I used a little more, but still less than a full gallon. An 03 might need a little more than a gallon.

wc911

I hope I have the hard part over. That would be tearing it up and getting the glue up. Still not gonna take the piece under the bow up till the kit comes it, just in case it dont come in it .

john4utvols

pic of Brians boat in my garage waiting on carpet and glue.
Did y'all worry about the old glue that was near the textured gel. I can get all of it up with the razor blade except that part.

LakeAnna

John I used laquar thinner and a scotchbrite pad along the edges to get the gunk and glue off on mine. The boat is a 91 and it was pretty nasty under the carpet when I pulled it. Getting all the edges clean to me was pretty important so I would have a nice clean edge if the carpet didn't cover anything. That looks good what you have there... I'm a little anal so...:wink
Tell you what else that cleans the heck out of the texture is to spray it down with scrubbing bubbles and some elbow grease.....:big grin Like I said...

Not to mention, the boat doesn't have that 20 year old foot smell either anymore.

catfish123

The kit does not normally come with the piece under the bow.

LakeAnna

Bob I was going from blue to charcoal so I had no choice... not to mention the carpet was shot to say the least.

BigRedAlli

Brian, what color did you go with? My kit actually came with the under deck piece, maybe it depends on how you order it. I used the DAP Weldwood contact cement on mine. Been 6 or 7 years and no issues yet. Just laid the carpet down like I wanted it, traced it out in lite pencil, rolled the glue out on the floor & carpet, let it dry, and laid it down. Got to be careful though, once the carpet hits the floor, you ain't moving it. I went with the black pipeing around the edge, so the area where the corners meet, I painted black so the hull color wouldnt show. Be sure to watch the grain of the carpet when you do the lids.

Also, be sure to use a fan for air flow when you do under the deck. That glue will mess you up!!!

Its a big project, but sure looks nice when its done.

WARNING!!! You won't be able to keep Lundy of the new Carpet...lol

wc911

It had the light grey with blue pipeing and I went back with light grey with grey pipeing. Yes the glue will mess you up!!! Me and John were seeing all kinds of birds , bats, and monkeys in the garage while were putting it down.:LMAO::big grin It looks good will post some pics when we get the lids on. I also used Dap Weldwood ( Gel ) It did not come with the pieace under the bow.....so I will se how long it will last ,maybe some carpet die or some thing on the blue. We will see . Thanks for the info it helped..