Cherokee Lake fishing??

Allyfishing

Hi Guys
Anyone know anything about Cherokee Lake for fishing?? Never been there and would like to get out early in the AM to do some fishing at the Rally but know nothing of the lake. According to the map I purchased it is one BIG LAKE!! Not used to that up North here!

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Craig:big grin

harrells

I've been on the lake a few times but not to fish. It's a beautiful and huge lake with lots of coves. My buddy Russell has a cabin on the lake and he will be at the rally also, i'm sure he can clue you in on all the hot spots. His cabin is in the Gilmore docks cove if you have a map of the lake. That is where we will both be launching our boats from. Good luck, see ya there, Scott.

hotshaft

:gone fishingYou will have to ask msharp about cherokee fishing!!!!! He has been smoking some A** at cherokee :gone fishing

Allyfishing

Thanks guys....HEY MSHARP...Ya out there?? LOL!!!

Spots are good......I like that....but a feel for what to expect is real good like the characteristcs of the type of fishing. Like deep cranking..or...weeds and worming??....etc.

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Craig :gone fishing

J

John Richied

We flew into the Allison Rally back in 2003 and one thing I remember about Cherokee Lake was the dam.

There was a dam you could go right up to the retaining wall on the reservoir side of the lake. The dam must have been shutdown or something because usually they won’t let you within 100 yards of it.

Well Badbob was taking Lou and me on a cruise of the lake and he took us right up to the dam wall.

I looked over the wall and saw it was a few hundred foot drop and was like “sumbeach!” "Lou you got to see this!"

Lou climbed up on the bow of the boat and looked over the retaining wall; at about that time I grabbed him to pull him back in of course and he chit a brick…. :gasp :gasp :LMAO:

True story, even though it has nothing to do with fish or fishing. :twisted evil

Last edited by a moderator:

msharp

If we have a little fishing contest' I'll tell you every thing I know at the weigh in !!!!!:big grin:big grin:at the bar . Just kidding !!! Fishing has been crazy down here this year . I'll see what's going on in the daylight ! I've been at night , Mid lake, on the banks with wood, Jigs, in pockets on main .BUT thats at night !!! Have got some BIG smallies on top , SPOOKIN the AM , and deep in the mid day ,like HOT lips , DD22's on chunk rock

Last edited:

Allyfishing

Yup...figures...I always found out at the weigh-in!! :laughing just my luck!

A friend of mine said he was in TN a few years back and fished some lake and had to fish at nite cuz it was too darned hot during the day. Is that why you are fishing at nite now or just cuz ya like to?

OK, that helps a bit...top water first light til the suns up ....deep cranking the day....maybe carolina rigging?......any weed beds or is the lake just big and deep?

Good story John...:laughing that's enough to put a brown spot in the back of your pants.

ImbadBob

The cove at Black Oak marina has a lot of brush underwater and some lay down timber. I saw 5 bass caught Saturday while doing my yard chores. If you want weed beds you might take a left leaving the marina and head toward Mossy creek. Lots of weeds and willow trees in the water.
John R. the water is about 10 feet from the top of the spillway gates right now. By the way that dam is where I work. You just have to stay outside the keep out bouys. When the rockfish start running it looks like an invasion fleet out there at the surface water pumps.
Bob

Allyfishing

Thanks for the iinfo on the weedbeds. I may take a look at that area. This is gonna be FUN!! :gone fishing