Chine walk

doubletrouble

I know you boys have herd this a thousand times but not from me.
I have a problem with chine walk and i dont think it is all me. I set
my motor half inch below pad , boat is balanced pretty good 26p
chopper. hole shot pretty good .Have to run negative trim to get 65
gps mile per hr. or it walks bad. New hydro steering help a little.
Think my motor might be to high. Doubletrouble :roll:

NCLakeman

It's all about..........................

It's all about balance. When the boat leans to the left you want to turn the wheel to the right a little. Turn the opposite way the boat is want to walk. It takes time to learn. It take very litle wheel ajustments. You will learn this the more you drive it. Good luck and be safe.

Regards,
Richard

whipper

Motor walker

Motors not to high. I would check to see exactly wear your motor realy is. On the trailer level the boat run a level down your pad till its level useing your trailer jack. Take your prop off. Raise your motor all the way up, then with a small level level your prop shaft tilting your motor till you achieve this. With a measuring tape measure from the center of the prop shaft to the ground then from your pad to the ground and the differance is your propshaft hight. Takes 10min at most. I dont have a trim guage but you can find out roughly wear your at neg or poss trim buy bringing the motor tucked all in then bump it till it is level again. Mine takes 13 bumps to be at nutral and around 19 at wot. Be vary carfull though your will be differant than mine maybe so just an example!!! When I run I dont count this was just an experament and at 21 I blew out so dont try this at home. You will need Nutral to slittly poss trim for fastest speeds but it sounds like balance/driver to me. What motor setback ect do you have.I use 50 lbs of balast on the starboard gunnels for my GSE. But even with a passenger or two I can usually counter and chine but it takes time and practise to get there. Go out buy your self and bring some weights ir somthing heavy and experament but be safe most of all. Whan she cines slow down and try it again and again ect... At your highest setting you want to be even or 1/2 or so bellow the pad. What setup you have makes a differance. James

whipper

setup

I see in your posts you have a xb2003 I have an xs2003 also with the 225 promax. Your set up will work ok at 1 bellow but if you can get it even with pad you will have more speed latter on. My xs is good for 95 so yours with seat time should be in the 90,s also depending on altitude and what not. With your 26p 80-85. A worked 30 is the fastest prop I have. Even at 1 bellow it not to low for 78-80 with a 26p. So you need to ballance that thing straight if you want to see those speeds it doesnt take too long. If your steering has play in it it will be. Wiggle the motor and see if theres play. There might be a little tiny bit but shouldnt be more than an inch or less. Your trying to ballance on a orange so the feed back from the wheel hast to be persice. Try bringing your boat to around 55-60 then bump your trim till ya feel her free up this will shoot you to around 65-70 with no more throttle. Try and hold her there with no chine walk once you can do this try it again and increase speeds buy 5 mphs at a time and youll get it. I think trying to ballance at 1/2 is to high to learn on try 1 inch bellow or even 11/2 sorry I thought you said 1 inch at first I see now you said 1/2.

pacman809

Just a thought: Don't know if Promax's have solid mounts standard but I couldn't get close to controlling the chine walk on my XTB until I replaced rubber with Bob's Solid aluminum's top & bottom.

doubletrouble

I did level the boat on the trailer and then put level on top of the wing
of the mid section fotgot what you call it . mesured down to floor from
pad ,then to center of shaft .Got a manual trim guage noted where it
was on guage. when i ran the boat it would get squrrley before i reach
leval point.Got 2 batterys in center 1 on port side of rear compartment.
Thats where it was when i got the boat. Maybe in wrong place. I did try
some weight on port side to no avale.I will take prop off and check
level again.But i think its pretty close. Boat shakes pretty good at idle
Maybe normal.I can shoot up to 70 or 75 but cant sustain that speed
but very short time. Thanks for info will try something else !!
Ron in Tn. Ps I put that leval on top of cavatation plate :roll:

GFinch

Call the Allison factory and get "The Little Red Book" Lots of info for any one with a V bottom boat. Lots of tid bits on setup ect. Read it cover to cover a couple of times and then keep it in the outhouse, referance material.

ziemer

Just a tip when measuring engine height. Make sure to place something straight and level on the floor to have a consistant measuring point. Your garage floor is NOT a level plane. Use a 6' level or something similar that is nice and straight, and shim it up until it is also level (like the boat and the prop shaft.) :wink:

An 1/8" can make a big difference in setup. 1/2" below is probably a good starting point, but you will find with experience the closer you get to even with the pad the easier it will be to drive.

Like Whipper mentioned above, try getting the boat set around 60 MPH +/-. At this point the boat has started to naturally pull itself out of the water and free up. Once it's set you can slowly increase speed and as the boat wants to fall to one side or the other counter the action with the wheel. There's a learning curve with these A-boats, but once you figure it out, there's not any more fun of a boat to drive. :D :wink:

GotMyAlly

I'd have an experienced Allison driver take it for a spin before I started making changes to the setup. Sounds like you are set up pretty close already. I run mine 3/8" below. I ran 1/2" below for a long time. But deeper than that (1" below or more), mine was HARDER to drive. THe gearcase seemed to suck the back end down, so I had to use excessive trim to get the boat to free up. From what I've seen, going higher with the motor doesn't make the boat harder to drive as far as chine walk is concerned. When I had mine so high I lost water psi, it handled better (in smooth water) than it did at lower heights. Going too high is more likely to cause you to blow out and maybe bat turn than it is to increase your chine walk (in my opinion).

doubletrouble

Got a new trophy 27p prop tryed it awhile ago alittle more stable. But
still walking pretty good. Going to raise motor to about 1/4 inch below
and try again. Alittle rough on Ky. lake today Also 27 trophy slipping to about 5800 before locking up. May need to plug holes up. Its got Mediam
plugs now. Thanks for info, keep it coming!!! :roll:
Ron In Tn.

jimmyb

my best advice is to find a local allison driver and have them go for a ride with you. They can show you in a matter of minutes what it would take volumes to try and explain on an internet forum

jerryingeorgia

Measure???????????

Measure all you want to....it is good to know and a good exercise, but an experienced driver can drive it without chine walk whether it is 4 inches below or 1 inch above.

I know everyone is tired of hearing it, but seat time is an amazing thing.
Am I wrong?

hack02

I've seen guys on here say it took them two summers to get the hang of it. But once your there, your there.
Jerry, you speak the truth.

doubletrouble

Not ME!!

If it takes that long to get the hang of it i will get back in my Stratos and
sell that ally! Raised 1/4 inch. Try again tomorow.I will have it figured in
a week or so. I live on water on Ky. lake and I am retired so i can spend
all my time trying to whip this thing.Thanks for the comments.
Doubletrouble :roll:

J

John Richied

Re: Measure???????????

jerryingeorgia said:
Measure all you want to....it is good to know and a good exercise, but an experienced driver can drive it without chine walk whether it is 4 inches below or 1 inch above.

I know everyone is tired of hearing it, but seat time is an amazing thing.
Am I wrong?
Jerry and Hack said it right… not that you won’t get it but anyone of us experienced guys could take you for a ride in your boat you would not believe it on the GPS. Don’t push it, you may be trying too hard. Let the boat run and you steer it, if you are trying to force the boat to do it your way, YOU WON’T WIN! Make trim inputs with a touch.... (bump, bump)DO NOT hold the trim button down like you would in a Stratos.

Run it up to around 70 and start a slight left-hand turn and run… practice, practice, practice. I promise you will get it and when you do you will be able to drive the boat like that anytime with out thought.

This is going to sound strange but I seriously doubt most experienced Allison drivers could make their boat chine walk… it is just second nature to drive one after you master it.

Also like Jimmy said if there is one available an experienced also driver to go with you will cut down the learning curve we all went through. We have all been there you are not alone. The funniest quote I have ever heard that is so true to new Allison owners is “ resist the urge to sell”

Get some more seat time and make sure your rig is balanced to run.

Texan

Ditto on the seat time. But the day I had an experienced driver sitting next to me with coaching tips was the day I got past the chine walk. I had gotten frustrated with it as well and was about to throw in the towel, but when the coach sat next to me and showed me a few things, it all began to fall into place. Forget the pride thing and ask someone that has experience with pad boats to take a run with you. Most anyone of us would jump at the chance of getting out on the water and sharing the experience with you. I'm three seasons into it now and 90+ happens when I want it to with a fishing load and fishing partner. It just gets better everytime out.

Be safe and don't give up.

Regards,
Bill
XB03/260/28" Chopper

doubletrouble

Ant gona give up

I would love to find someone around here with an ally.but most people
here have john boats.Might be able to flag one down on the river sure
wouldnt be able to catch one though! Very seldom see an ally around
here. Ron. :roll:

TnRiver03xb

How close are you to Florence, Al. If interested.
I've have had several fishing buddy's drive mine and seems they all start out over-stearing to correct. Another common mistake is reacation time. In other words they wait untill its 2 or 3 dregree's on each side before they start correcting. Watch the horizion and instantly as the bow falls off level adjust with a smooth, controlled, instant, steer of the helm. Bringing it back level with the horizion.

GFinch

I've had my XB2003 for a few years. The trick, if there is one is awareness and becoming as one with the boat. There is a wrong and a right way to learn. Get the BOOK and read it.
Take little steps and you will learn. Force the issue and you will take a lot longer to learn, thats IF you do.
I'm at a disadvantage as there are no active Allison owners in my aera, also set up help is lacking due to having that other brand of engine, Johnson.
What I did was read/reread the Book and followed the instructions.
Before, I could take it to 55 but not beyond without washing the decals.
Then I kept it at 55 and played with the trim getting a feel as to what the boat would do in different situations, boat wakes, wind chop, flat water, ect.
Then up to 60 drive it around, get in touch, trim it up trim it down, drive it thru wakes, drive it over wakes. When it gets away from you as it will, just slow down and start over where you are in comfortable complete control.
Then 70...........then 75.................... then 80..................................then85.

Be aware DO NOT SUDDENLY back off the throttle at higher speeds with out practicing first at lower speeds. You'll see!!!

Always wear your life jacket with the kill switch hooked up, Insurance doesn't pay out without a body.

We didn't jump out of our mothers womb and walk over to the refrigerator and pop the top on a cold one, jump on the bike and pedal over to the girl friends and ..... well you get the picture.

If it was easy they would sell like Rangers, Tritons, Champions, Skeeters, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect,...................................

When it happens you won't really know,

"You'll just be as one, with your Allison."

Baby steps, remember baby steps.

Now go out and as John would say "Get her done!"