CLE or Bob's

Freebird

Bought a 225 Pro Max for my SS20 yesterday and have the choice of either of these gear cases. Either will be checked, serviced and ready to go. I don't anticipate speeds that will get me into problems with the CLE, but I'm just not sure which would be the better choice. Whadda ya think?

racerx

If speeds are not the concern the CLE is better you wont have to worry about paint peeling and bondo cracking and busting loose...

Freebird

Talked to Bill at Allison, and he said Bob's. I thought the CLE was good to mid-90's, but he said 90 was it. I've blown out at 87 in my XTB21 and don't EVEN wanna do that again!

Lotus 50

I did just that with my 225 PM. Coned the CLE that it came with. Sent it to Bob's and then Hydromotive for tweaking. So far I love it.

My previous XR4 had Bob's cones. The cones lasted longer than the small gearcases.

Freebird

Turns out this Bob's gearcase is a Torquemaster. Had some other Allison guys on an Allison owners Facebook page identify it. I've been out of this game so long that I'm stuck in the 80's when I lived and breathed this stuff. Now I'm the proverbial newbe given how much has changed since then. I'm a fast learner though. :big grin

Freebird

Long story, but I ended up with both of them. The CLE is a four hole, and I may have to use it. The TM was what appears to be a small crack in the case. Gonna get somebody smarter than me to look at it, but I'm guessing it can be fixed.

90 5.0

Should be the same internals if it is a 4 hole CLE, which hasn't been stated yet. If it's a 2 hole CLE, the tm will have the better internals.
Didn't know that, but I have 0 experience with Torque masters. But they are non ratcheting right??

I would not want to be In a 20' ally with a non ratcheting case

h2oskiier30

Torque masters are ratcheting cases. Gearset, propshaft, carrier...All the same as in a sportmaster. I have a coned tm and it's faster than any sporty that I've ever run. Handles great, too.

Freebird

Turns out that both of these lower units have more problems than I thought. The TM is cracked just above the skeg, gears are chipped, and driveshaft is scored. Case looks good on the CLE, but the pinion gear has one chipped tooth. Not terrible, but chipped just the same. Driveshaft has minor grooves from the seals, but it might work.

Looks like I'll have some pieces parts to sell or trade, but I'm going to need some too. I was hoping to be able to combine these two into one good unit, but it ain't gonna happen. Anybody have anything that'll put a smile back on my face?