Cleaver on an Allison?

wally II

Mike Sufka(Central MN) had a Grand Sport rigged with a Merc. 2.5(260 hp) that got the best performance(top end) with a cleaver. Mike? Provide some specifics.

Myron

Paul I have tried lab cleavers on 2002 and a 2003, you can get them to run ok if you are real light, I just don't like the feel of the cleaver's, they had no steering torque at all I mean O, it felt like you could turn the wheel at 90 and the boat would not respond. If I remember I think the Bakers have run them on a Grand Sport also with success.

ALLISONMAN

the cleavers run great and handle great on the xr's!!! we use a 28 cleaver to break our drag motors in and the boat drives great !!! top-end its hard to beat a cleaver on a lite boat

mikesufka

Yup -

I ran a Cleaver (14 1/2 X 28????) on my old Grandsport/2.5 EFI combo. When I first started to test, I tried a bunch of different Mazco RE3's and other "round ear props". It could have been bad props, but none worked and the boat struggled to run in the low 90 MPH's. Plus, the boat felt stuck to the water. I tried a three blade Merc Lab Cleaver and the boat instantly put on 6-8 MPH and felt "looser than hell". This was back to back testing. After doing further testing with engine height, the boat ran 100-103 on a liquid filled Gaffrig speedo, any day of the week.

I realize these weren't "GPS" speeds, but I was using the same speedo for all testing.

The Cleaver wasn't the best out of the hole, but it was adequate for what I did. The Allison foil helped as well. Plus, I could put four guys in the boat and a cooler of beer and it would still run low 90 MPH's.

I liked the prop. As they saying goes, never turn down a chance to try a different prop.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Spectre 30/Twin 300 Mercs
Allison Grandsport/200 ProV Yamaha

TBuck2003

All depends on the load that your haulin,no question on a light weight application the boat will run and run good.The minute you put the pleasure aspect or fishing aspect to it say goodbye to cleaver for good numbers.I run a semi cleaver style with large blade area and a rounded tip which is key,for carrying weight and get as good of numbers with two people pleasure load as with one.Have seen 103 plus with three 200 plus guys in the boat and enough beer in the cooler to kill a small pony!!!!!

TBuck

Mr. Scary

I thought Nick Winski and I were the only ones running Cleavers on our Allisons. I think Cleavers are the best prop when you're running a light load and I love them for top end runs even when you have a couple people in the boat.

I had a 32" high rake Mercury Lab Cleaver that was absolutely solid gold on Allisons. It would run 104 on my 225 ProMax/Super Sport back in 1998 and ran 117 on my 280/SuperSport. I'd love to have that prop back to run on the 225 ProMax I have now. I bet it would run upwards of 110-112.

They handle great, they have less torque on the wheel, etc.

Paul nichols

My best prop so far is a Merc 14.5 x 32 lab cleaver. After I ran a cleaver on my boat I sold ALL of my props (except for my 26 ET) and restocked with cleavers.

Paul

Mr. Scary

I have. It didn't run quite as fast as my Merc 14.5X32 (Paul and I agree on that one...best prop on my Allison too). However, the fastest I've ever gone in a boat ever was with a Mazco worked Mercury Cleaver. I ran almost 120 in a Rapid Craft Riot with a cleaver that he cut and worked. It was wicked. I've only run 1 of his Cleavers and it seemed stiffer - tough for my boat to turn so maybe a smaller size would have worked better.

Lotus 50

I re-read the little red book on Sunday as I was being towed to the marina. It says that Merc 4 blade cleavers work great on Ally's.

Maybe I'll try a friend's 28 cleaver in the spring. I was thinking that a cleaver was the wrong answer.

Darth VMAX

Probably a stupid question but here it goes...

Is there such thing as a "cleaver cut" for a prop such as a chopper (style)? Or would it be much simpler and cheaper to just buy a cleaver?

DOH!