Cuba Landing Marina KY Lake...fishing?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ocktane and I are headed out there Friday. Anybody have any info on fishing or what to watch out for? Neither of us have been there before. Thanks! :gone fishing

john4utvols

Not sure about the fishing part, but that part of the river has a lot of sand/mud beaches. While running I would stay inside the buoys.
We usually hang out 40 miles south of Cuba at Clifton. Cuba landing is probably going to be the boat ramp and the area we use for the fastpass rally this year.

Ocktane

Won't be runnin' fast, breaking in the re-rebuilt motor. Gonna be puttin' around and fissin'. Did some research Brian, got some spots we gonna try.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just his. Gonna go out for the day to hang out and put some hours on the motor and try a little fishin. Only a 3 hour run from here. The Trans Am needs to stretch its legs a little, lol!

MWest77

We took our T/A out today and ran to Bay Springs and Pickwick to look at campsites for the spring and summer. Seems like it took half the time!

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
We took our T/A out today and ran to Bay Springs and Pickwick to look at campsites for the spring and summer. Seems like it took half the time!
You got a hitch on your car? Your boat HAS been behind a Trans Am before, lol! :shock: You need to make your sig picture bigger though. I can't quite see it. :laughing

RedAllison

Ocktane and I are headed out there Friday. Anybody have any info on fishing or what to watch out for? Neither of us have been there before. Thanks! :gone fishing
65 miles from my house. The river is still @ winter pool so stay in the buoys, ESPECIALLY just north of there where the Duck River dumps into the TN River. DONT run in there except at idle speed! TRUST ME that whole big, "harmless looking" area looks open & safe. It's shallow & FULL of stumps, rocks & all other kinds of boat destroying sructures! :shock:

Also, unless you see buoys or have great gps maps, slow to idle IN the river BEFORE idling into each cove, creek, flat etc off the river. Many if not most creeks & coves in that stretch of the river have ledges in their mouths which are trouble at winter pool!

Fishing wise, start @ the mouths & work your way in. This winter has been mild & ALOT of fish have been caught in less than 10ft of water all winter. AL rigs (remember TNs retarded 3 bait max, no 5bait rigs like others) jig&pig, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, rattle traps & I would bounce cranks off shallow structure if the fish are in there. Supposed to be bright & warmer this wknd so you should be able to find shallow fish. The first 1-2 channel bends & adjacent flats in from the river are likely spots as well. Birdsong creek is EXCELLENT this time of year as well. If everything else fails, run back past Birdsong Marina to the bridge. Start fishing the bridge & then down the riprap on each side after going under the bridge. I don't think I've ever been skunked back there.

Cuba is 15 miles south of the "transitional area" of KY Lake which is at the New Johnsonville bridge. From the headwaters @ Pickwick Dam to New Jville bridge the lake is very much a RIVER. When you cross under the bridge suddenly the river becomes a 1 mile+ wide lake. There are some similarities but ALOT of differences as well. Since yall are newbs, fish the waters south of New Jville as a river & the waters north of the bridge as a lake.

:beer: :gone fishing
RA

Ps
If you go north of the New Johnsonville bridge DO NOT! DO NOT!! DO NOT!!! run out of the channel buoys, ESPECIALLY! ESPECIALLY!! ESPECIALLY!!! west of the river channel. You MUST follow buoys or know EXACTLY where you are out of the river channel on EITHER SIDE
in this area. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

Last edited:

Ocktane

Thanks for the info Red! Won't be makin' it out on Friday after all. Sumpin came up, oh well! Useful info for next time though!

RedAllison

Sounds sketchy! If we are having the rally here, we need to be careful for sure!:help
MW it's no problem up there during summer pool! (Except the area west of New Jville bridge & the Duck River area, but those wouldn't be likely areas any ralliers would be cruising in anyway.)

280ALLY

Sounds sketchy! If we are having the rally here, we need to be careful for sure!:help
if you've never been to Ky Lake,you are in for a treat...if someone can't keep it between those buoys,as wide apart as they are, then they don't need to be on the water... they are
1/2 mile wide above New Johnsonville,you just better hope the wind doesn't blow out of the North,it will get rougher than anything you've probably seen then...

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks RA, that's exactly what I wanted to know. For some reason Watts Bar is actually just above summer pool right now. Been going back up for a while now. Anyway, we'll get out there one of these days. Thanks for the info.

MWest77

if you've never been to Ky Lake,you are in for a treat...if someone can't keep it between those buoys,as wide apart as they are, then they don't need to be on the water... they are
1/2 mile wide above New Johnsonville,you just better hope the wind doesn't blow out of the North,it will get rougher than anything you've probably seen then...
Yeah. We thought we were going to bust out onto the main lake at Pickwick one day with a south wind over 20 mph and gusting. We turned around quickly. :gasp

RedAllison

North/South winds can make Pickwick dangerous, ESPECIALLY a north/nw winter/spring wind blowing against a stout northbound current. Sets up for 3'-6' rollers that are 30' a part so you wont get up on top & run over those!

Essentially the same conditions produce outright TREACHEROUS conditions on KY Lake from New Johnsonville north to the dam!!! Ive seen SEVERAL boats towed into Paris Landing capsized with nothing but the bow sticking out of the water...

All the more reason I own a 21 but spring on the TN River can even humble those boats at times!

john4utvols

What kind of camping site are you looking for, beachveiw at Clifton rents out camper spots and has a bath has. There are about 5 Allison owners that have campers there. Great water and great folks to hang out with.

MWest77

What kind of camping site are you looking for, beachveiw at Clifton rents out camper spots and has a bath has. There are about 5 Allison owners that have campers there. Great water and great folks to hang out with.
Cool. Don't own a camper though but plan to get one soon.