Different kinda boat

GotMyAlly

I spent last week fishing out of one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypk5p_1pe8I
(Trout fishing on the White River)
Gotta say I'll be glad to get back in my own boat. That was my first experience with a jet lower unit. Loud, slow, gas guzzler.....those are the first words to come to mind. That 20 HP did 8 MPH upriver. I got passed by 9.9's with props. So loud you couldn't talk to the passengers in the boat while running. One day we ran 5 miles up river and 5 miles back down.........that about drained a 6 gallon tank. Less than 2 MPG..........My 250XS gets better gas mileage than that, at more than 10X's the speed! Total fuel bill was $165 for 3 days of fishing.

But I got a freezer full of trout to show for it!

RedAllison

Well hell, ANY boats gonna run like hell with a 200# drunk sittin onda bow! :big grin

K.Kiser

That's really bad performance/economy.. Seems it would be better to put a small jet ski engine set-up on it..? Still not gonna run with a prop motor, but if you gotta have a jet then maybe it would be the lesser of two evils.. Ya know, as long as someone else pays for all the parts and conversion..

Last edited:

SmallJaw

Cat's meow for fishing the rocks below the dams. I know of a certain pro who was wishing he had one on the Alabama river earlier this year!:LMAO:

Darth VMAX

I actually think it would be a hoot to go zipping and winding through some of those rivers goin through 6" of water.

Bob Ant

What was the average size trout? What was the biggest? Dd you catch browns, rainbows,brookies? How many per day?

I always wanted to go there, but have not done so yet, hense all the questions.

Darth VMAX

Did anyone catch last weeks G3 Sportsman?

Went after Browns on the White River. Caught some pretty nice fish but not anywhere near the monsters that live there. It was cool becasue they were using bass gear and bass tackle to catch them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5syYG7wuU

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

The end of the summer is absolutely the worst time to go. If I wanted to catch big trout, I'd go in Feb/March, before the vacationers pound on them through the summer months. We used to go about twice a year as a family, but haven't been back in 10+ yrs. Since the last time I was there, they enacted a length limit on browns. They have to be 24" to keep, and that's huge. We didn't catch any browns of that size on this trip, but we did catch a lot of smaller browns. It used to be that we'd catch a ton of rainbows and only a few browns in a given trip, but the sheer number of browns is up considerably so that it's about 1-for-1 rainbows to browns. The biggest brown we caught this trip was 19". In my boat, we caught a limit of rainbows (5/person) 2 out of 3 days, and were only a couple shy of a limit on the 3rd day. Most of the rainbows we kept were 12"-14". Good eating size but not trophies.

We stayed here and I'd highly recommend the place:
http://www.whiteriverresort.com/
Great accomodations, nice family run place. The boats are some of the nicest trout boats I've fished out of. They were fiberglass and stable enough to stand up and fish. Wasn't crazy about the jet motors, but I can understand the reasoning, even though they were running so much water through the dam on this trip that the jet wasn't necessary at all.

We were 30 or 40 miles below Bull Shoals dam. If I was targeting trophies, I'd probably focus on the first mile of the White below Bull Shoals or the upper part of the Norfork, both are catch and release trophy areas, artificial baits only, and barbless hooks.

allimax

One day we ran 5 miles up river and 5 miles back down.........that about drained a 6 gallon tank. Less than 2 MPG..........My 250XS gets better gas mileage than that, at more than 10X's the speed! Total fuel bill was $165 for 3 days of fishing.
Boy I can relate to this. My last rig was a ZX18 aluminum Bass Rig with a 115 Yamaha Jet. That thing could suck up 25 gallons of fuel so fast it wasn

jimbob88

I was trying to learn/ navigate rainy river from international falls towards lake of the woods at the top of minnesota. boat went by me & I started playing follow the leader behind him mapping a route. 2 miles down he started waving his arms, I thought he wanted me to go by but he shut down & I did the same. floated closer to him & told him what I was up to & he said he figured that & was just giving me heads up I couldn't follow him anymore unless I didn't need a lower unit. thanked him multiple times & watched him take off over inches of water. thank god he was a nice guy & stopped me from following him!!!