Drag setup

Iowafshr

Need some opinions.

I have a mostly stock 200 promax with a factory rev limiter. I own a 24 chopper that runs great. Comes out of the hole great and I'm on the limiter (6800) at a little over half track running 79ish. The problem is 79 is much more than I calculated it should do with normal slip numbers, and it takes me out the the 75mph class.

The solution I've tried is running a 26 chopper. The prop ran good, but it took the entire track to reach just to reach around 81, and I was only able to turn it about 6200 by then.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to raise the rev limiter (6800 currently) and run my 24, or to find a prop that is somewhere between the 2 I've currently tried?

With my 24 the slip numbers work out to be about 4% - My thoughts are turning the motor to 7200 puts me right at 84 in an 85mph class.

As far as I know the rotating assembly is stock. All I have done is put Chris Carson reeds in it, and sent the injectors to brucato.

M.ALEXIE

Find a 24yam drag prop, remove the limiter and move up to the 85mph class.
Faster is more fun!

Rusrog

Choppers are not great drag props. They can be cut on and beat on and made into pretty good drag props but with what MALEXIE said... Cut the rev limiter(if that's legal) and stick a 24 or 22 YAMAHA drag prop on it. THen hang on.

Iowafshr

It has been worked. Has a stamp that says "britt" I've ran yamahas and know what you mean, but for a prop that cost me less than $200 it works well. Engine mods are legal. These races are for bragging rights. Next question is how do I remove the limiter? Brucato acu and software?

LakeAnna

Simon did mine on the 225X so maybe give him a buzz. I know he works on all the Merc stuff.

mdevrow

Find a 24yam drag prop, remove the limiter and move up to the 85mph class.
Faster is more fun!
Loose the Limiter if you want to race, the Promax should turn close to 8000.
24 Volt trim and a Skid Plate/ Allison Foil They all Help your ET. Get a Yam Drag with some cup to help you get moving . Any compression increase will help the holeshot and mid range .

Last edited:

Iowafshr

I'm now thinking of going to an ACU or 225, 260, 280. Realized I really don't like getting out ran by my buddies in their hydrostreams :smile . Anyone have anything they want to get rid of?

M.ALEXIE

I'm now thinking of going to an ACU or 225, 260, 280. Realized I really don't like getting out ran by my buddies in their hydrostreams :smile . Anyone have anything they want to get rid of?
I like the 225pm. If you are on a budget I would get:

Used ACU or PCU = $800
Adjustable Fuel Reg. = $150
16amp Stator and HP Flywheel = $800
32CC Cut Heads = $200
HP fuel pump = $200

Delete: voltage regulators, vst, thermostats and any other black boxes LOL!

Set timing to 25 degrees and it will come alive!