drags this weekend

FLYING BUTCHER

Just got back so wanted to post results and will try to keep it short. Last race ran into a boat dealer from Nevada running allison drag on nitrus and a Hoss prop. He looked at my new Hoss and I told him about Randy and Dave developing new props. This weekend ran into him again, he was glad he called Randy and got one. I saw him run a 10.01 118mph!! 16 boats in my class. Ran the boat 5 times and all within a few tenths of a second ET. 12:09 best 12:16 worst (afternoon hot temp) best mph 100.5!! Qualified second out of the 16 boats. We start from dead still in the water no engine running. Timing lights start down and she won't start!! Damn what a helpless feeling. I have a switch that I use to shut the fuel pump off and I run it out of gas every time before start it up again. I need to call my "pit crew chief" Randy and get a fix over the telephone again?? It starts fine cold but after it warms up it seems to flood. When the competition starts their big blocks up I can't hear what my engine is doing. Of course AFTER THE RACE I found out I can request a thrity second "warm up" before the lights start down!! I read the rule book but didn't see anything about that. Next time I will make the request and make sure she starts. Have to tell you guys about this one=sitting on the line waiting to run and the guy next to me hollers "damn is that a fishing boat?? I tell him yep. He says " that't the damnest I have ever seen" after the race he brought over a bunch of his buddies to see the fishing boat. Oh year he is running big block Chev at 12:40 88 mph. That's it guys, little dissapointed about not starting but hopefully with the 30 second warm up time that won't happen again. If you haven't tried a new Hoss prop you don't know what you are missing!! Later

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the report Bill, sounds like an awesome time and too much fun!!

You're right about the Hoss T3. Those that haven't run one can keep bowing down to Yamaha but once you try them in a serial trial, you feel the difference and see it on the ET.

Just IMHO, don't knock it if you haven't tried it! What do YOU think Butch?

Waterdigger

Bill a 12:09 - 12:16 @ 100.5 MPH .... man that sounds purdy dang good
to me :!: The 30 second "warm up" iz very important :)

I don't know much about Hoss props :?: Only tried one ... didn't have
good results. Maybe you guys will school me on the "NEW" Hoss props.

My first race ... best run 12.292 @ 87.804 MPH.... dat ain't gunna get it :!:
Dang.... may have ta buy me one dem "BLACK" mota's yet :)

mike

FLYING BUTCHER

drags

I would be more than happy to share all the information that I am running with you just let me know what you would like to see. My fat butt 230 and running a 2003 with two batteries. 20" shaft, drag plate (on motor and on hydraulic lift) balloon inside jackplate, 14 set back, stock 280 block with 260 electronics, 24 volt trim, NEW GPI Hoss 22 drag prop 8750 rpm that's all folks!

GPI Racing

Bill,

Here's my first thought's on your starting deal. In our past conversations we talked about fuels. When running pure race fuel in an engine with lower octane requirements, sometimes the stuff won't light. (I've seen a match put out in some during a demonstration) The VAPOR is what burns and some race fuels don't vaporize very well. Try running pure 92 octane and see if the thing starts better. If so, mix maybe a gallon of race gas to a couple gallons of pump gas. Race fuels are different from brand to brand and type to type. What is the exact fuel you have avalible? If it passes these tests we should look at the reeds. If they are not sealing well that could cause the symptoms your experiencing. The engine should light without having to turn the fuel pump off. Especially the stock ported one, I can see if the ported blocks have tons of crankcase area the fuel will puddle. Are you still running the J-gap style plugs? These tend to start just a little better.

Anyway give me a call and we can go over the possiblities.

Randy

Rocket

FlyingButcher,,,,,,,,, GPI has a very good point (I can tell you from Experiance! :shock: )................. Also I've got a problem with my injectors flooding (I'm getting them flowed as we speak! :D ).

Sometimes,,, I have to use the fuel pump switch fix too! :? But it works!!!

What club do you race with???????? :?:

Damn it's nice to have another Fishing boat kick'n some BB A$$'s!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

PS>>> Where can I try one of those New Hoss props??? :wink:

ET is NOT all about speed!!!! Sometimes a Slower MPH is a faster ET than a higher MPH!!!!!!

:wink:

FLYING BUTCHER

starting

Talked with a guy I ran with this weedend running a 300 drag. He has same problem. Told me to turn off switch and let engine run LOW, not out of gas. The when I start it to turn it over before I turn the fuel pump back on. I was doing that Saturday and it was working fine. I run in Columbia Drag Boat Association. This race was co sponsered with IHBA. Give Randy a call on testing one of his drag props.

Rocket

Re: starting

FLYING BUTCHER said:
I run in Columbia Drag Boat Association. This race was co sponsered with IHBA. Give Randy a call on testing one of his drag props.
Thanks! :D

FB,,,,Have you ever thought of coming down to "Smokin in the Cove"? :wink: We'd love to have another Fishing boat there! :wink: www.smokinthecove.com

Randy= what's his phone number??? :shock:

Rocket

Kevin from FL said:
Randy @ 320-356-9068
Thanks Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I talked with Randy last night! :wink: What a nice guy!!!!! 8) I really want to try a Hoss on the ROPE! :wink:

K

Kevin from FL

Not a problem Mike. Randy is a great guy with some real good info and is always willing to help out with a question.