Drive shaft

allimax

I have the part # at work. The shaft is 7/8" or .875". The problem is it would be hard on the bearings to just pound the thing all the way down the shaft. I was looking to make a special clamp up to hold the shaft while driving the speedy sleeve on so there was no shock to the bearings. Others recommend you remove the drive shaft to do the install and if I'm going to pull the whole thing apart to get the driveshaft out I'm sending it out to have it spray welded.***At work now and the Napa part # is 99087. This is a SKF product.***

whipper

I was looking at the part number. What exactly does this do? Does it install below the key way on the shaft into the water pump so the shaft isnt spinning on the medal gasket in the water pump? thanks

allimax

I was looking at the part number. What exactly does this do? Does it install below the key way on the shaft into the water pump so the shaft isnt spinning on the medal gasket in the water pump? thanks
On the sportsmaster the driveshaft is steel for added strength. There are two seals on the bottom section of the water pump housing that keep the water from mixing with the LU gear oil. This is the area that matters because the seal needs a good smooth surface, rust will cut the seals all up. The speedi-sleeve is real thin and when installed gives the area a new stainless surface for the seal lips to ride on. My question is how to install the sleeve without pounding too much on the LU bearings. msharp, care to clue us in? If I'm having to tear the LU down I think I'd just get the stainless shaft Lee at Sanderson Marine can supply or send it out and have it spray welded.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
You can make a shim out of the thick gasket material. Pull the seals out put the shim under them and put the seals back. You will move the seal seating areas down the thickness of the shim you installed. This way you are not adding a sleeve your just moving the seal to a area that isn't corroded. That's what I did. Works great.

whipper

On the sportsmaster the driveshaft is steel for added strength. There are two seals on the bottom section of the water pump housing that keep the water from mixing with the LU gear oil. This is the area that matters because the seal needs a good smooth surface, rust will cut the seals all up. The speedi-sleeve is real thin and when installed gives the area a new stainless surface for the seal lips to ride on. My question is how to install the sleeve without pounding too much on the LU bearings. msharp, care to clue us in? If I'm having to tear the LU down I think I'd just get the stainless shaft Lee at Sanderson Marine can supply or send it out and have it spray welded.
Ok thanks wondering if this applied to my 200 case guess not.

Reel Life

Whipper, The waterpump base seals will "cut" into the SS shafts just like the steel ones.
But with the steel shafts, once the surface harding is gone they corrode like mad. Moving the seal location works great on the SS shafts.

msharp

I made a tool for pressing the sleeve down the shaft. It's a pipe that's .880 id. 24 " long . It doesn't take a BIG hammer to put it in place.a small dead blow will do the job. Clean shaft good. Lube with WD-40
when I get down to the water pump key I clean it again and put loctite around the damage area and tap into place. Takes to much time for heat. It's not for everyone but is a time saver that works.

Scott in MN

I did mine when I had the driveshaft out...Agree that heating/cooling won't help cause the temps will normalize before you can move the sleeve very far. I also used loctite to help hold the sleeve and to prevent water from creeping under the sleeve....

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The only problem I can see you having going that route is moving up will move you into the area of shaft that is rusted. The seals that are pressed into the plastic housing are pressed in from the bottom. So, if you do like I said and put a shim under the seals you are in fact moving them farther down into the areas that aren't rusted yet. I havent tried the sleeve yet. But, next time If I cant move down farther I may try one.

I have heard of putting 2 seals (insead of 1) under entire housing to raise it and seal location. Never done it but makes sense.

msharp

The purpose of the sleeve is to cover the damaged area where the seals ride and the sportmaster shaft rusts . It is not necessary to remove driveshaft it can be done with care.