Driveshaft

LAAllison

My 97 SM started getting to warm while running at ski speeds 3000-3600 rpm. It would get up above 180 in short order but if I ran 5000 or above it was fine, about 155-160. Checked poppet valve, tstat, and cleaned inspection plate area. Pulled the water pump and the drive shaft is badly corroded at the very bottom of the pump housing and it scarred the O ring and the bottom seal. The fix I've seen is to weld stainless to the shaft and machine it back to spec. Anyone got a line on replacement shafts? It seems strange that my old 200 had a stainless shaft and the 225 shaft isn't stainless. First problem in 7 years and won't be too bad.
Hope everyone enjoys The Rally. Maybe next year.

Art

Roll Tide

J

John Richied

Did you ever get a drive shaft? If you still need one, a 20" I might have one… I just need to get some gearcase tools to tear my old Torquemaster and Sportmaster apart.

Yellowallison

Yes a good machine shop can resurface a drive shaft by welding and returning down!

LAAllison

I got the shaft welded and machined. New water pump and all is well.
John, I would be glad to buy your 20" SM driveshaft if it's available. The water I run in is tough on non stainless pieces. Let me know.

Thanks Art

Roll Tide

J

John Richied

As soon as I get the Merc tools to pull the rest of my old gearcase apart I’ll let you know.