Driving a 2004 ALLISON XB21 prosport ELITE

2yellowdogs

Ok guys never ran one of these before and I am headed down to test drive one and hopefully I will like it and bring it home. IT is a 2004 xb21 elite with a merc 225efi on it. They test drove the boat with 2 guys at 86.8 mph. I have driven some boats but nothing this fast. How hard is it going ot be to drive ? Also how well will it run in rough water say 3 or 4 foot rollers do you just stay in it to keep the nose up or will I have to ride up and down the waves like in any other bass boat. By this I mean I have been out in 3 footers and had to ride the wave instead of just running in.

2yellowdogs

Blueally XB21

2yellowdogs, there is some learning curve to driving any allison. It is fun to learn however. As for the 2-3 foot rollers, that depends on how far they are apart, etc. I assure you the XB21 will ride better than any boat in it's 21 to 22 foot length class, period.

Good luck on your test drive and be patient learning. Someone with experience can show you how to handle the driver input needed easily and safely at the higher speeds.

Enjoy the ride!!!!

XBuddawg

Probationary User
hey 2 yellows,
It willl just take seat time my friend. It won't take long though and you will know exactly how to drive her in any kind of water.
Just plant ya ass in the seat and mash the gas!
Later,
Buddy

fishnfireman

HEY 2 yellowdogs glad to see ya getting this close to one.

There is a learning curve to drive these over about 70. If there is someone in the boat to coach you a little it should help a lot.

I will not comment much about how these boats take BIG water .. You remember what happened last time I voiced my opinion about that.
I'm still rubbing my A$$, for the flogging I took over that.
I will say this there is a huge difference between the way the 21 handles 3 to 4 footers VS a 2003.
So maybe you can tell us after you get to run some big stuff.

GOODLUCK

GotMyAlly

I haven't been in a 21, but the 2003 handles ruff stuff really well. BUT...I've never been in a bassboat that I'd want to run hard through TRUE 3 to 4 footers for long

jimmyb

GMA makes a good point... there are NO bass boats i would want to be in, running hard, in true 3-4' waves... it seems everyones definition of a 4' wave increases a bit... just like the size of the fish they catch and the speeds they get! :)

fishnfireman

GotMyAlly said:
I haven't been in a 21, but the 2003 handles ruff stuff really well. BUT...I've never been in a bassboat that I'd want to run hard through TRUE 3 to 4 footers for long
Ya what he said :!: :!:

Running in true 4 footers is more about making it back, without swamping and or tearing up too much equipment.

I got tickled watching the ESPN sportcenter first day coverage of the BASS elite series on Lake Amistad.
The wind was gusting to 30+mph on Monday.. They interviewed several of the big time anglers. Most of them did not run up the lake but chose to fish close to the dock. Rather than venture out on the main lake.
One of those who did said "man this lake gets rough, we saw some 8 footers out there"
I had to grin and say Welcome to Amistad boys !

allisondog69

I HEAR YA FF AMISTAD WAS MY FIRST EXPIRENCE WITH MY ALLY ON A BIG LAKE WITH HUGE WAVES THANKS TO A STEADY 45-50 MPH WIND. WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS AT FIRST BUT ONCE I FIGURED OUT WHAT IT WOULD DO I WAS IMPRESSED . BUT LIKE YOU AMISTAD CAN DISH OUT SOME SERIOUS CRAP!

2yellowdogs

Thanks for the information guys.... With some luck I am trying to time my outting around the tide... If I hit it right I should have about a hour of slack water then I hope when the tide changes I get some wind blow agaist it so it stands it up... I will report on how every thing goes... I know what you guys mean about the size of the waves... We were up on Lake Erie and the wind had the lake at about 2 or 3 footers tops and alot of guys were talking about how they were running 6 footers wide out.... kind of just have to grin....

2yellowdogs