Driving an Allison aint easy.......

DaveW

I've had my Ally for a few years now, and am lucky enough to have the only XTB-21 in Australia, and possibly the only fishing Allison in the country - I've heard about an XB2003 that gets used for ski racing but have never seen it.

I've had a few issues in the last year - ripping the top transom bolts through for one which resulted in a full transom rebuild and a new (2nd hand) motor.

The motor I lost had a worked ECU (raised limiter, thanks SimonMotorsports) and the new 200 EFI has been on for a while yet I only had a 24 Tropy and was all over the limiter at 64mph....... after being well over 70 previously it was getting depressing, particularly since my CLE went to gearbox heaven too and I've been running a standard case.

This weekend just gone I finally got my hands on a nice prop - TR428 and got to air her out for the first time in 18 months.

Two up I was at 74-76 fully loaded with fishing gear and a full tank of juice.

On my own I was nudging 78 pretty consistently, still with a standard case!

Now, when I first got her I had a very interesting time learning to drive, there was no-one with any performance boat driving that I could draw experience from down here, and my only info really came from the Allison family on here and Fastbass.

I literally spent 20+ hours in the seat before I was happy to get her up to speed properly.

As a consequence, I have always been hesitant to let anyone else drive, knowing how quickly the stickers can get washed!

Now, my friend I had as ballast testing the TR428 begged so I let him have a crack............

I've never been that scared in a boat before! As soon as we got anywhere near 60 he totally lost it, tried driving through it and overcorrected all over the place too - I thought we were going to come around!

Being the not so bright person I am I let him have another go - and it got worse :banghead

Oddly enough he didn't want another try :very happy

At the end of it all I'm pretty freakin' happy to be going quick again, it was very disheartening to have Skeeters with ETec HO's going past me but NOT ANYMORE :big grin

Here's my girl:

Attachments

22R

Looking good !! Be careful especially letting other people drive your ride. Do you get alot of questions about the boat over there from people being as there are only a couple of them in the country ? Have Fun....

22R

DaveW

I get quite a few questions about her, I usually direct them to here or the Allison website.

I fish a lot of tournaments and everyone who gets on the boat is amazed at the ride - most of the Skeeter drivers over here tend to go for maximum trim in all conditions and bang the heck out of you!

Our dollar is pretty strong at the moment, don't know why more guys don't bring them over???

Dave

baitcaster

Congrats on getting her aired out, but you should see a few more miles per hour. I know what you mean though about learning how to drive it, but once you get the hang of it, there is nothing else like it.

Congrats again and am sorry to hear about the initial mishaps.

Dark Allison

Dave on the XTB21 balance is the key. I had a XB2002 prior to my XTB. My XB2002 was very easy to drive. Big Red Ally's wife jabber jaws was able to drive it up to 70+ her first day in it. The XTB21 was a little more difficult till I got it balanced right. I found with my set up,if I added a 10lb weight to the front compartment. It made the boat much easier to drive. I placed it right at the point where my rod box and the front compartment joined. Each boat is different based on set up, battery placement etc. Becareful and be safe. Remember if it starts to get too loose trim it down and regain control. There is no shame in being safe.
Eating Skeeter for breakfast is fun!:twisted evil:twisted evil:twisted evil

nickens21

If I would have had a good camera man that day I may have got a decent pic of mine running!! JOSHUA!! Balance is deff the key on the xtb Dave, be careful!!

Joshua

If I would have had a good camera man that day I may have got a decent pic of mine running!! JOSHUA!!
A good camera man is hard ta find! I must say you did a fine job taking them pics. :beer:

How ya been bud?