ECU Help!!

Texan

I'm looking at a boat with a 280 hanging off the back. I've had it confirmed that the original owner spun the motor regularly up into the 8000 range by several including a few that were in the boat when it was done. In the end, the motor blew. Merc warrantied the power head. The guy that did the swap tells me that he took everything off the blown power head and installed on the new one, including the ECU. When I had them hook the DDT up to it, it showed little or no time over 7000 RPM. Total hours can be accounted for at the lower RPMs. The ECU is unlimited (if that's the correct terminology) and the rev limiter removed. Compression on all six shows to be 125, so I'm pretty sure the power head hasn't had any work to speak of.

My question relates to the ECU. When hooked up to the DDT, will they show RPMs that exceed the normal rev limit for that motor? How can the DDT show the total number of hours, which are believed to be correct, and little or no hours over 7000? Especially when it is confirmed that it was spun to 8100 after the swap?!?!? Why wouldn't it show up?

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Myron

the ddt records all records, I do not if they can be erased or not but just because the tach siad 8000 does not mean that it really turned 8000, also if the ecu has had the limiter removed, it still will only turn about 8000, the electrics on the 280's won't really turn any higher, which is why a lot of people put the 260 electrics on them. I would not be as concerned about the rpm's as much as well the motor has been cared for, such as type of oil mixed and what ratio, also does the newer power head have the top pinned pistons, that would be my # one concern. Also the DDT will show if the motor has been over heated and for how long.

ziemer

It is a 2004 power head. I know it hasn't been into. Would that tell you if it had top pinned pistons?
Being an 04' powerhead it should be top-pinned. They switched over in late 2002.

The DDT readout may have something to do with the limiter being removed??? Although stock is what, 7750, and the race is 8250.

You could always make the deal contigent on inspecting the bores, pistons, etc. Tell them you want to pull the heads when you pick it up. O-rings are cheap. :beer::beer: