Embroidery Color Re-store

resqu-u

Hi guys. I'd like to bring back the color in my Allison logo embroidery on the seats. My vinyl is still in great shape but the red stitching has lost a lot of it's red color. Can it be dyed back? Has anybody tried it and what did you use. Thanks Shane

bassracr

I haven't tried it . But I think I would try a fine tip red sharpie . Rit also makes some liquid dyes you may be able to brush on . I would guess that thread would soak it right in

resqu-u

I hadn't thought about the sharpie. I think the thread would soak it up great I just don't want to stain the vinyl. I'm going to call a few shops today to see what they say. Thanks, I'll post what I come up with.

bassracr

I hadn't thought about the sharpie. I think the thread would soak it up great I just don't want to stain the vinyl. I'm going to call a few shops today to see what they say. Thanks, I'll post what I come up with.
I thought you could have a rag with the tip soaked in lacquer thinner on stand by if you got any on the vinyl . Maybe test some stitching on the bottom. ?

red2003

I use a fine tip sharpie, just steady your hands, my 2003 is 17 and still has original upholstery, I just touch up the threads 1 or 2 times a year, wonder is scotchguard would make it hold longer?

resqu-u

I stopped by a local shop today with my butt seat to see what he said.... noting you can do overall and said to try the sharpie. Looks like a good rainy day project to take on. I'll post up a few before and after pics incase this question comes up again. Thanks red and bassracr.

thegoop

My stitching is gone in a few spots. I really need a new interior. I have been using extra fine sharpies and they work ok. I changed the lettersOrrin white to yellow and the lines are still black. It does wear off and is not that pronounced to begin with. So this time I used sharpie oil based paint pens in the same colours. I put on two or three coats where necessary and it came out awesome. Really vibrant yellow almost better than thread. Seems pretty permanent but not sure how it will hold up.