Engine too high - what happens?

jwt

I've got a '93 XR2001,15" mid, Titus coned CLE, 26" Yammi. I'm still in the learning phase. I keep raising the engine in 1/4" increments and each time the handling improves but still not "locked on rails". The way the boat sits on the trailer, it's a pain to measure the propshaft height in relation to the pad. So I'm using a laser on the gear case & the drain plug as my reference. I'm 1/3 of the way up on the drain hole. As I've stated, each time I raise it, the "locked in" feeling improves. What happens if I go too high?? Blowout? Bat turns? or just prop slip? I can deal with prop slip, but blowout & Bat turns - No Thanks. Any advice is appreciated.

hack02

One tip that may be useful or not; I park my boat in the same place all the time. After I climbed under the hull and leveled the pad to figure the propshaft height, I counted the number of cranks of the trailer tongue jack from fully bottomed up to the point where the pad was level. That way I know quickly whether my pad is level for the measurement.
Also, you can level your propshaft by putting a level on your flywheel. Its not talked about much but I think getting the propshaft level is one of the most critical measurements in the whole equation. The shaft is so short just one little blip of the trim can throw your measurement off tremendously, especially when your talking eighth or quarter inch measurements.

patches

you'll probably blowout or hook it before you run out of water pressure. you may not make it to that locked in feeling your looking for without going for a ride first. you need to get a good measurement for the centerline of your propshaft. like hack was saying, park it on a level surface. level the pad with the jack. level the propshaft. measure down to a known flat surface from the pad and the propshaft. figure up the difference. i have to use a shimmed 2x4 on my garage floor cause it's not perfectly level. my measurement on mine is usually around 16 3/8 to the floor and my center of propshaft is 16 5/8. makes my propshaft 1/4 above

whipper

Once you figure out exactly were your prop shaft hight is in relation to your pad leave it at even for now! You should never have to play with the hight ever right now. The trim is the only thing you need to work. That includes hole shots. The trim is your friend or foe. Blowout will only be from over trimming. You should really never have to rise your motor on the go,just trim. By raising your motor at speed once your trimmed is dangerous. Not advisable.

bigtis

I can deal with prop slip, but blowout & Bat turns - No Thanks. Any advice is appreciated.
put on your safety equipment, run the boat in a wide open area. If your helmets on and your not running over 100mph, it shouldn't hurt one bit. one prop will like a certain engine height, and another will drop the bow at speed.. It's all about taking your time and getting to know what your boat likes and dislikes.

GFinch

About Bat Turns. I have Hyd steering and the steering wheel isn't yanked out of my hands as opposed to cable steering where it can. That said my Bat Turns to this point have been a very quick 90 degree right turn which scrubbs almost all foward speed off and down to about(quessing) 20 mph.
Each time just as it was going to occur my thought was "Here I go, am I going to get wet."

jwt

"it shouldn't hurt one bit" ?????? :gasp Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully this weekend I can get out & practice.