Fire Extinguisher Mounting

NormALLY

I'm taking a poll on fire mounting on an XB2002. Any suggestions welcome.

hack02

I mount mine to the right of the drivers seat, either a little forward or behind the seat, on the part of the floor that turns up towards the side.

CDave

Mounted mine by the shifter. Remember, they have to be in the open to be legal.

J

John Richied

My fire extinguisher is mounted in the rear center compartment on the portside. It probably isn’t a good or legal spot since if there were a fuel fire I would have to open the cowling and reach in by the gas tank to get it, but it’s the spot I needed a little weight for balance… LOL :wink:

If I were to mount it in an open area I think I would mount it to the back of the bucket/driver’s seat. I saw Bill put his there on his XB-03 and it was easy access, looked good and it was out of the way.

Forkin' Crazy

Re: Fire extinguisher

jerryingeorgia said:
I just keep mine in the starboard side locker.

With water all around, why are we required to have a fire extinguisher anyway?
If you ever had one burn to the water, you'd know. :shock:

The possum cops never said it had to be out in the open when they checked me... I keep mine in my rod locker too... I guess it might be different in different states.... unless he didn't get any the night before. :roll:

The DSRA specifies that you have to be able to put your hands on it from the seat.

jerryingeorgia

Fighting fires

Crazy, I was halfway kidding...the company I worked for was heavily fined by OSHA when two untrained employees used portable fire extinguishers to fight a fire. And another arm of the government is requiring us to have an extinguisher to fight a fire with 30 gallons of gas on board a 20 foot boat.

If it is a small fire, I might give it a try, but otherwise I am going in the water.

Someone said that the DNR told them that you need an extinguisher so you can help another boater in case their boat is on fire.....right!!!

Maybe fishinfireman can weigh in.....my take is that you better have the right type extinguisher and get yourself trained how to use it. This is just as important as where it is mounted.

NormALLY

Yeah John I was thinking the same place. Behind the driver seat. I am not a fan of drilling holes or making alterations that may haunt you later. For now I threw it in the starboard rear compartment but I think I'll move it to where jerryingeorgia has his. The starboard rod locker.

Thanks for the responces.

What if...

fishnfireman

Here is my take on the subject............for what it's worth.

Think of it this way.... where are the most likely spots to have a fire ?
I would think--- under the cowl, in the gas tank compartment, or under the dash.
Now where are most extinguishers located? Either in a compartment, or under the dash. :oops:
Every boat I have owned, came from the factory with a mount under the dash or in close proximity

Forkin' Crazy

Re: Fighting fires

jerryingeorgia said:
Crazy, I was halfway kidding...the company I worked for was heavily fined by OSHA when two untrained employees used portable fire extinguishers to fight a fire. And another arm of the government is requiring us to have an extinguisher to fight a fire with 30 gallons of gas on board a 20 foot boat.

If it is a small fire, I might give it a try, but otherwise I am going in the water.
I know. :D I don't think that an extinguisher would have helped... It was a helpless feeling as I dove out of the front of the boat. I salvaged the motor and it still runs today on my run-about.

I had mine under the dash of my Youngblood. I got pulled over by the possum cops and checked.... They wanted me to pull the extinguisher out so they could see the gauge. I was lying on my back trying to get it out of the chicken sh t plastic bracket w/o breaking it. One of the possum cops piped up, "The boat would have burned by now." I agitatedly said from under the dash, "I am trying to get it out of this chicken sh t bracket with out breaking it! If I had a fire I would break the SOB and put out the fire.

NormALLY

Fishnfireman...I stand corrected. I do not avocate putting extinguishers in compartments. The right thing to do is mount them where they are readily accessable. I teporarily put mine in a compartment so I can go fishing until I decide the proper place to mount it. Right John.