Fishing Club Question

Westy

I find myself in a rut when it comes to bassfishing, always going to the same spots doing the same tecniques etc.

To bring my fishing skills to the next level a decided to join a local fishing club, that way I could fish with different people that have same passion I do. Now the bad news... every club I contacted told me I could not fish from my Allison for two reasons (1) my 280 was not allowed (2) not having a BIA plate (they will not accept the coast guard label).

My question is... are there other Allison owners that have come across this? I'm not looking at joining FLW or BASS, I'm talking about little local clubs. What a bummer.:banghead

GotMyAlly

Is it documented in their rules, or are they making it up as they go along? Most cowboy craft patch pirates don't even know what a 280 is.

JWolff

My club has no such rules. Just a bunch of family guys trying to get in a couple tourneys a year. We are just happy to have you out.

If your 280 is not allowed then there aren't any 300's either, right? I would expect some rich lawyer, doctor, or whatever to be in those clubs with a new Bass CAT, Triton, Ranger, ect with a 300.

John

SLOmofo

#1. It's an Allison
#2. It's faster then all their boats.
The rest are just excuses being the boat is over 20'

Now, if they are insured by a company that dictates Max HP and other requirements......or it's written in the bylaws on tournament rules..... Oh Well
The engine on our Champion is modified, fished circuits and clubs didn't have anyone protest us, a few grumbled.

Westy

They are all saying that their insurance only allows a max HP of 250. They all want to see a BIA plate. Not many Bullets, Strokers or Allisons around here (I only know of 2 other Allisons in the Phoenix area).

GotMyAlly- Right on! Most of the guys I talked to did not know what a 280 was.

SLMofo- :smile

jimbob88

I remember 150hp limits. Up north it is now 250hp max. Some tourneys allow 300. Not many. Quit reading into things. No conspiracy this stupid. Get over your selves

Westy

Found a great club that is going to let me play. They are a Midweek Club that fishes on Wednesdays. Now I have to clear my schedule so I can fish.:big grin

jcoats3

That's great. Sounds like me just wanted a club to make me go fish somthing different. Probably a better group of folks to have fun w/ if they don't worry about what u run. Im with a group that just goes out once a month some were different. Range from my Ally to older 17ft tracker with a forty.

wasmeneh

Lots of clubs that are affiliated with BASS or FLW have to follow those rules since they are incorporated in their by laws. Looks like you found an unaffiliated club.

My club used to affiliated but now all the guys are so old that they don't fish any regional trail so we are not affiliated anymore. No one had any issue with mu 300 drag (other than the noise when she ran LOL)
Mike
Now I've got a 200 on her and for fishing that's all I need and then some, less noisy too.

RedAllison

The last club I fished with I fished for several years and had my XB03/225PM and then my 21/225XS. "The rules" as written by BASS/FLW stated that at all times, all boats used in any club tournaments were required to adhere to all regulations in affect as written by the sanctioning body (FLW/BASS). (we fished under both during that time span as it was during the BASS buyout a couple years ago and the Federation went to FLW for a couple of years until they were brought back into/under the BASS organization) BUT that "enforcement" is up to the club brass and if they don't care then you are really open to run anything. (I was "Charter Member" of the club from having been in it back in the early 90s before leaving and then rejoining in the early 00s. I likewise was elected Treasurer a year or two during my last with them) But that opens another can of worms, what about liability! At that point if a "non qualifying" craft was involved in an accident whereby the club and sanctioning organization were sued, THEN the lawyers for the big dogs (FLW/BASS) would use that "out" when they discovered the unapproved rig!

I qualified for the TN State Federation Tournament in 2008. (Was held on Pickwick) By then I had my 21/225XS and all of the above is why I went with a 225 on my 21! I just didn't want to have to worry about any "loophole" or silly bylaw hidden on page 378 from some obscure regulation put into place in 1974. I was still NEVER passed and in fact on the second day I was #5 to launch (1 at a time) out of a 250+ boat field, as I idled by the start boat the director announced over his bullhorn to those already planning off to leave (Like they would've heard him!) "Yall get out of the way unless you want a red stripe across ya azzez!" :twisted evil

These "hp arguements" have been argued for nearly 2 decades now, ESPECIALLY by we Allison owners with these "recommended" plates. As far as I know, every major sanctioning body/organizing body has approved the boats when the exact reading and regulations were explained to them (Coast Guard not rating any over 20ft and Darris not putting the word MAX but instead RECOMMENDED on the plates). But you might have to call or go above the heads of your local director if he's giving you any personal flack or is making an honest mistake and doesn't know any better.

HOWEVER COMMA BUT! Most T organizations have the 250hp limit so a 280 just ISN'T going to be allowed under any legit avenue unless the rules are 300hp or Unlimited in the first place...

ps
Now that I think about it, the last year I had my XB03/225SS during the first tourny of the year we had a "prospective member" who was allowed to fish the tourny to see how he liked it. He and his son both were looking to join and he had a TR-21 with a 300ProMax on it. "The brass" said he was welcomed to fish the club with his 21/300 but was told if he qualified for the state then he wouldn't be allowed to use that boat. (It was on Wilson Lake, it was 26 degs at blast-off with about 2" of snow on the ground. It was my first time on the lake and my first time to be introd to "Silver Buddies". When we took off I SMOKED the 300, I was 100yds down the lake before he nosed over. After the tourny he couldn't get to my boat fast enough to say he'd never seen a bassboat that quick or fast! :big grin And yes, we won the tourney with the only limit for the day!) That guy wanted to join the club but the week after the tourny he was moved to TX so that ended that.

Last edited:

wasmeneh

Red.
I guess I should have added that I was Club president when I traded my Triton 200XP Merc 225 EFI for my Allison 2003 300 Drag.

Not that it made any difference my 200XP was about the fastest in club anyway. LOL