Fishing XB03 vs XB02 and other pro/ cons of each

XB03AllyProud

Hey guys, This question has been addressed in the past but wanted a fresh take on it plus not have to search all night for peoples views. As well as other views on swapping to a XB02 from XB03.
Background,I have the white w/ red wings XBO3 Hirk and Fishforcash previously owned. Love it but always wanted the XB02 that has been in the family since new in '89. I made another attempt to get it before buying the 03 and owner still couldn't part with it even though it was just sitting in storage for many years, so I bought the 03. Now almost 4 years later it is mine if I want it(Not for Free). Thing is I haven't seen it uncovered in probably 12 years, no one has for that matter except the owner and that's only been a couple times he pulled it to ramp and cranked the motor. So pictures and memory, both of which are not very good in remembering storage volume, etc. It is a XB2002T Small console center steer, so what is some of the biggest regrets or otherwise to expect stepping down from a side steer XB2003T. I'm not a fisherman by any means but enjoy going out the few chances a year I get. I'd only have, say 6 or 8 rods probably even with anyone I would have on board. Tackle is basically limited to the planno boxes I keep in the tubs up front of the XB03. Do both side lockers have full length for rods? Will the tubs I bought for front deck on the 03 fit any of the 02 storage? How much smaller does the 02 front deck seem to the 03? What about the rear, can a guy effectively fish off the rear? We never fished together out of his 02, I really don't believe it has had fish in the livewell, he says it has but several of us dispute it. lol.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Engines isn't really in question at this point is why I haven't mentioned. I need to make a decision in next few days whether to buy it and then I'll have some time before I have to decide which one to keep after on the water trials. Just thought you all are the best reference and sounding board though as many of you have made the swap one direction or the other.

Thanks for your input!

John S

Easy answer, own both, lol. I've owned both boats, and missed features of both of them when I owned the other. The 03 is a more refined boat, rides nicer, has a better platform for fishing a second person, and has better storage. I had two other people multiple times, and it was fine. It pulled skiers better, wife liked the big counsel, rod storage was way better, as was the rear storage. But......

The 02 is the funnest all around 20' boats ever made. It's good fishing alone, but two gets tight, three is shriner-esque. rod storage is fine. A 12v 55# TM runs all day on a battery. The problem I had was that I didn't really want to fish, just get it over with so I could go to the next spot! I didn't mind the front deck for fishing, but the 03 was better, as was the rear deck. They are a f*****g blast to drive, the 03 don't even put up a fight. They don't pull skiers for crap, and IMO, are a two person boat. As far as a beach blaster, I don't think you could find a better boat.

Tough decision, I love both. my next one would probably be an 03, because I would rather have the creature comforts the 03 provides over the 02's performance. Of course, I said that the last time I bought my 03, and bought an 02 soon after again. Good luck.

GotMyAlly

I love riding in an XB02 (when the weather is nice - in the rain, gimme a console). I liked fishing from an XB03 better. Your mileage may vary.

Lotus 50

Are there XB2002's with two side by side buckets and a rear bench? That might be the ticket for when climbing in and out of the SS2000 seems hard. Or I'll have to stay spry until 100.

hirk

Never been in an 02 but if you take your wife/kids or run when its cold or raining the 03 is pretty good.

whipper

ive always wanted an 01,02,03,and cant wait for the 04:beer:

I would LOVE an 03 for all round use. The thing about the xb03 that i like is not only can you fish but you can walk around the whole boat. My wife and Doughter could lay out a blanket and tan while i fish.:gone fishing

XB03AllyProud

Thanks for feedback guy's. I keep going back n forth. Some of the differences are oblivious like the wind protection and 02 being a tad smaller etc. How much they will bother me I guess only time in the 02 will tell me. I don't boat in weather that can turn questionable, avoid even pulling in the rain if I can plan around it. I only get to the lake maybe 7 times a year at this point in life due to work schedule so I'm not someone that gets out every weekend. My fishing is leisure and really don't have a clue but I did just get a deal I think on HDS7 Touch combo w/ LSS and a point1 gps antenna so maybe it will motivate me to hone/ develop my skills to justify that purchase. The Wife can't stand being in a small boat anymore other than her pontoon, so it's just me and maybe a buddy once in a while. The 03 runs fast as I need to go anymore, so that isn't really a determining factor. I guess I just needed to hear if I was missing something I had overlooked. The 02 has always been the one I wanted but I settled for the 03 because it was in exceptional condition in the right colors for me. Now though, since it is so versatile and does it all it makes it hard to decide. Anyway, Thanks again for feedback and letting me think out loud/ weigh this out.

2Fast2Pass

Speed in my opinion is the on thing better about an 02 vs 03. So if you are happy with the 03's speed, I think you will be disappointed with the 02 in the long run. The rod storage is probably the only other thing I can think of that is better. But doesn't sound like for you that is a problem either.

XB03AllyProud

Well I finally bought and received the XB02 from the FIL. I've only had it out a couple times but I am going to keep it and sell the XB03. I'm keeping the Promax and will sell 03 without a motor. He had a GT175 Johnson on his that I just put up for sale here and BBC, going to keep it rigged and running for now so if someone close enough is interested they can have a test run. Yes its is a hard decision to decide which one as I can't or don't need to keep the 2 of them. Sure looks great in the shop though side by side. I will miss certain things for sure from the 03 but I look forward to setting the 02 up the way I want and making it mine. I will be starting from scratch on it once I remove the GT- Gauges, Shifter, Steering maybe to Hyd., jack plate, dash redo, batteries, charger everything. He didn't have but the minimum in the 02 as it wasn't ever really used. It's a '89 and in great shape, it was shop kept indoors under a custom fit cover he had made so seats, carpet and all are near as new as possible for used. Driver seat is only one that has signs of use. It is going to be a bit of learning curve again I think driving it compared to the 03, but I have only a few hrs in it so far running the GT and not having the same power as I'm used to with the Promax. When he used to run the 02 it ran great for what it was, just that when you got set and started flying you had no more RPM to use because of the crossflow and not turning it hard like we can our Merc's. Well as this evolves this winter and spring ahead I'm sure I will be searching old threads and asking questions on setup and such for the 02 and the ProMax. It only has a 5" CMC manual jack so I will be changing that. Correct me now or later when I get into it but 8"-10" with most closer to 10" setback for a 02 setup? Anyway I will be watching for parts and asking questions this winter. Thanks all in advance for your input and advice. Here is a couple shots of the little sister.image1.jpg image2.jpg image4.jpg IMG_0306.jpg

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like my 02 better than the 03 in a lot of ways. I do miss the wind protection of the 03. The 02 is easier to drive, not that the 03 was hard to drive. Keep us informed with your progress.

whipper

I would say if your on the heavy side 200lbs plus more setback. If your a light weight side like 185 or less then less setback is a good rule of thumb. Also the intended use. More setback carry's a load better so if you have passengers or going to carry a fishing load all the time. These are the general rules of thumb for setback. like all Allisons Darris designs them to have a fulcrum point. The balance point based on load and engine combo were the hull will be most efficient.
The Allison red book has all this information in it and if you haven't read it its a great read! I think there's a copy you can read on hear some were? Or some have it in a file and can email it to ya. But as the Bobalouie and Ally2extreme say 10 or 12 is a great starting point and cant go to wrong there. Guys with lots of power and setup for drags seem to go less. Its all in what your main objective is.

XB03AllyProud

Thanks Whipper, well put.
The 02 only has 5" setback as it is now so with the grunt of the GT175 on it, it was quick for what it had and since it wasn't really used much period it worked well. I'm leaning towards the 10" range for a bit of a compromise, as I will have a slight load but I will be solo 90% of the time. I do want it to get out of the hole quick with a passenger, I always disliked a poor holeshot no matter what the top number is. Just looks bad. lol. Yea the RED Book is a great read, have had a copy for years.

ally2dextreme

You will find the 02 hole shot is a lot quicker with the 02 ,a lot...The record 02 runs were done at 12 inches,a 10-12 plate is ideal but Allison stopped having those made,10 will be great I think with the 225 12 would be better for carrying a load and top end....if you need any help let me know I have some awesome props for the 02...

Bobalouie

You're right Whipper. When I owned the boat, I was between 290-315 lbs, and the boat didnt perform well with the 7" JP that it came with due to me being probably 120 lbs heavier than the previous owner. I got the 10-11-12 plate from Allison, and 10" preserved most of the hole shot, and carried me much better. Even with my wife in the boat as well, it responded better to trim with the 10".

chad202

I went with 14" on my 02. Wanted the ability to have tons of lift at cruising speeds. I achieved that and get outstanding fuel economy because of it.