"Flexible" trailer

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
According to Darris, the root cause of these issues was the skinny 1.5" tubing that Boatmate used on early generation trailers. Indeed I can see mine flex. No flex on XB2002 trailer (2007) and SS2000 trailer (1999). These use the larger 2" x 4" tubing. But I agree, the excess leverage created from the motor weight coupled with setbacks we use want to pull the nose up.

My SS2000 has a ball-busting amount of tongue weight even with no spare tire on it...and it's a much lighter package than the Grandsport.

I think common trailering practice states that 7%-15% of total load weight should be on tongue, right?

Oh yes...one more thing...none of my trailers have ever floated in the water.

So it looks like the only cure for the GSE is gonna be to throw 50lbs of lead shot way up forward into the bow..or duct tape them to the spare tire..Redneck engineering at its finest.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

Um...what am I missing about the above? if the bow roller were larger, it would make the boat not even go forward as far as it is...?
That was for the winching the bow down to the eye.

On my trailer the eye was 2+ inches above the original bow stay roller. The roller was cracking so I replaced it with this one. Also when I got the boat the eye was beyond loose and the gel and bolt holes were damaged. So I fixed the damage and put a stainless U bolt in place of the eye. It's now less then an inch above.
Hey put an extra spare tire up on the front of the trailer.

RobShaw-BasSport

I'm leaving this weekend for Allison to pick up a brand new Boatmate GALVANIZED single axle "c" channel. Todd (is there a more friendlier guy than him?) will meet me Sunday morning @ Allison.

I'll let you guys know how the new trailer works with my BasSPort Pro/250XS.

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Rob,

So the motor is hung? Could you check and see if the bow "floats" above the bow roller when strap is released?

Thanks!

RobShaw-BasSport

I sure will. I should get back home to Virginia Sunday night. I'll transfer my boat from the old (by old, I mean 5 yrs old) trailer to the new trailer early in the week.

I fish brackish water here in Va and Carolina...I knew when I bought this rig new that the trailer (painted steel tube) was going to be the weak link.

pacman809

And I thought it was just my problem. My XTB with an 11" set back is exactly 50/50 on the trailer and I like more tongue weight for safety. I doubled up the spare tires( got two with the trailer) in the front section with a threaded extension bolt and that made it marginally acceptable. I looked into moving the winch capstan forward but there wasn't enough room. pacman

allimax

My 08 BasSPort Pro (with mounted 250XS) is now sitting on a brand new Boatmate trailer. When I release the bow strap, the bow doesnt move. The transom straps have no effect either. Hope this helps.
If you get a chance could you post some pictures of the new trailer?