Fuel additives

catfish123

1 Mercury Quickleen/Quickare
2 Seafoam
3 Startron

Let's hear the good, the bad, and the ugly involving the 3 fuel additive choices I have listed. For all those who have "experience" with them, or simply opinions.....................let er rip......................:laughing

Last edited:

fnshrmaster

I use sea foam, have for years. Does it help? Not sure really, I think the most important thing is non ethanol fuel. That's all I run, a mixture of 91 and 110.

Don't forget aces on that list, that can get the discussion rolling.

GotMyAlly

I use Mercury Quickleen/Quickare in my opti. If I still had a 2.5 that required high octane fuel, I'd probably run Aces instead (I can get 87 non-ethanol locally, but 93 non-ethanol is non-existent). I do believe that good fuel is as important as the additives that you pour into the tank.

LakeAnna

I guess we are pretty lucky here in central VA cause there are a few places that still sell good old fashion 93. The 225x doesn't seem to mind it... The best part is the local marina here about 5 miles down the lake has new tanks and pumps. Very easy to drop some change there in a hurry during the summer.

Seafoam for now since I got a case on the shelf.

hirk

91 oct. and seafoam all the time. I dont run startron because our 91 were i get it doesnt have ethanol and i dont run quickclean because the seafoam take care of any carbon.I have ran the odd tank without seafoam and will get carbon on my blades right away but soon as i add the foam it cleans up.That gives me a pretty good idea of how well it deals with carbon.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite additive is oil. Works great and I've had excellent results with it. I do give it the occasional shot of seafoam once or twice a year but I can't prove it does anything.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

91 oct. and seafoam all the time. I dont run startron because our 91 were i get it doesnt have ethanol and i dont run quickclean because the seafoam take care of any carbon.I have ran the odd tank without seafoam and will get carbon on my blades right away but soon as i add the foam it cleans up.That gives me a pretty good idea of how well it deals with carbon.
Now that you mention the blades being cleaner I have noticed that as well. Seafoam is good stuff.

Lotus 50

91 octane ethanol free and 40:1 penzoil is what goes in my Promax. What are those additives for?

I use BRP 2+2 stabilizer when I put it away in the winter. I need to buy the BRP stuff for my 115 HO Etec, so I just buy a bunch and use it in both outboards, lawnmowers, and my Lotus.

bullwhipjkg

I wont run mine without some kind of ethanol treatment and 93 octane wether its merc or lucas stuff and seafom also

been looking at aces or the klotz stuff for my new motor this new gas is junk and fixing to get worse they are trying to take more I think sulphur I read out of the gas too

Obama and the epa says less emissions

hirk

Brucato has claimed injectors he gets to be flow tested that he has verified were ran with seafoam regularly were always very clean.No need to run 1oz per gallon either as stated on the can if your using it all the time, 1oz to 3 gallons works.

harrells

I use 1oz. seafoam and 1oz. quickleen for every 5 gallons of gas that goes in the tank. Also run only non-ethanol 90 or 93 octane fuel, both right here at my local gas station.

mdevrow

Spray Seafoam in each cylinder with the heads off, rotate motor another Spray in each cylinder and let it soak awhile. Add some injector cleaner / De Carb to about 1 gal gas Clean cylinders ur heads on and crank it in the hose Spray another can of Sea Foam into the intake while it running. Running 110 Race Gas Often I mix 50/50 with some Clean 91 on pump gas heads . Race Fuel will help keep your motor clean JMO

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spray Seafoam in each cylinder with the heads off, rotate motor another Spray in each cylinder and let it soak awhile. Add some injector cleaner / De Carb to about 1 gal gas Clean cylinders ur heads on and crank it in the hose Spray another can of Sea Foam into the intake while it running. Running 110 Race Gas Often I mix 50/50 with some Clean 91 on pump gas heads . Race Fuel will help keep your motor clean JMO

Why? Just curious.