Fuel filler issues XB2003

BigCountryx

Is it just me or is filling the tank on all XB03's a pain in the butt? It seems it swedges down a few inches in and the angle of the nozzle shoved all the way in (difficult with today's rubber vapor shields) is very critical just to be able to fill at half speed or it'll back up and shut off. It aggravates me every time I gas up.

SLOmofo

It's just you .......and every one else that has one. The trouble is the difference of diameter of hose between the tank and filler neck. The hose fits over the stub of the gas tank. The fuel hits the stub and backs up causing the nozzle to think the gas tank is full. What someone needs to do is make an insert that blends that transition. Another thing is the vent can be restricted, causing the air displaced by the fuel to exit the filler neck, backing up the fuel.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
YES, I forgot about that and had gas spray all over the place yesterday! (1st time out this year) I unscrew the vent and then it fills ok but you still can't fill it very fast.

BigCountryx

Gary thats a heck of a simple idea. If you were too slip a filler tube in that's the right length and diameter, at least there wouldn't be the pain of trying to get the nozzle so deep to center it in there. Then it would just be controlling the speed of fill.

SLOmofo

The pure agony of the replacement of the filler neck/hose stops me from thinking too much about it. BTDT I didn't have a hard time but remember posts about it. But you have to take into consideration I are a mechanic by trade and was paid flat rate, so you learn to force your body/hands into places they can't fit and hope they come back out without too much loss of skin and blood.
A thin piece of plastic/aluminum that fits in the tank and bridges the transition would do the job trouble is holding it in place forever. Crap now you got me thinking about it again!
[/IMG]

white03

wow I guess I'm the odd ball here, I don't have any problem as long as I insert the nozzle of the pump handle completely into the tank as far it will go and as long as the pump handle is facing toward the rear of the boat (or toward the motor). I cant pump at full volume but I can pump plenty fast enough that it is not bothersome.

xb03

Yes, this has had me so mad at the pumps and I can't take anymore I will fix mine even if I have to add a filler neck in the rear compartment, directly on the tank.

catfish123

Guess I'm lucky too........I just have to pull the trigger on the nozzle easily at first so it doesn't splash back and then I can fill it up pretty quickly with no problem.

BigCountryx

The biggest problem is the darn vapor shroud on the nozzles. On some, I have had to turn it inside out to be able to get it far enough into the tank not to kick off. This isnt too easy on some nozzles either

22R

The biggest problem is the darn vapor shroud on the nozzles. On some, I have had to turn it inside out to be able to get it far enough into the tank not to kick off. This isnt too easy on some nozzles either
Buy at Tureau's or Triple S in St. Amant. No ethanol and no big vapor shroud.

22R

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found that if I only put the nozzle in part way that I can usually get it to go pretty well, along with unscrewing the vent cap on the back. Downfall is that I've gotta hold it there aimed just right. Most of the time it's a pain though.

M.ALEXIE

The problem is the vent line.
If the vent is too small it will blow back out thru the fill.