FUN with GSE fuel tank

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I took the fuel tank out of my XS2003 today, and ordered a new one from Allison. Looks like the checkered boat won't make the WAR again this year.

Judging from how it came out, I wonder if I'll be able to shoe-horn a new one back in. This was an adventure that felt like the whole boat was built around the tank, and as we wrestled and tugged and sweated pulling that bloated blob out of the hatch, Steffan groans "FREE WILLY, man" and we both cracked up into hysterics from that comment plus the gas fumes.

I took it out because the fuel pump was sucking air, or at least sounded like it, and some intermittant motor operation. I needed to verify proper fuel delivery first, before going into electrical problems if necessary.

This boat had already wasted two motors from problems that **might** have been fuel delivery related. Having just put on a new powerhead, and having had some issues during break-in, I decided it was best to be safe rather than sorry.

After I got it out and removed the pickup tube, I found the "smoking gun". They used a vinyl or clear plastic supply tube, and it had become hardened. The place where the tube slid over the hose barb inside the tank had lost all of its elasticity after 11 years and it was loose, possibly allowing air to enter the line.

I am dreading the installation of the new tank, and welcome any suggestions from those who have been there / done that!!

BTW if you have a GS, does it have a 24 or 30 gallon tank? Bill at Allison told me at first that the GS uses a 24 gallon tank. I checked, nope, mine is 30 gallon....What's yours?

Thanks,

Lou

J

John Richied

I don’t have any experience in this area but all the talk of two California guys,
wrestled, and tugged, and sweated, pulling that bloated blob out of the hatch,… Steffan groans "FREE WILLY” …plus the gas fumes”

Butch Leslie

I have heard of putting a shop vac to it and sucking it in and this makes it easier to take an old one out, since the weight of the gas may have expanded it some. No tricks to get the new one in, as it shouldn't be expanded any. Good luck. Butch Leslie

Sking

I just pulled the tank on my XB2002 to have a fuel return fitting welded on. I noticed a slight thin spot on the fuel pickup hose about half way up so I repaired that. If the hose in the tank gets a hole in it and fuel level drops below that point then the fuel pump will suck air from that point. Just got lucky that I saw it.

jaybluez

Sking...if I'm not mistaken wasn't it you inquiring about a bigger fuel tank not long ago? I'm just curious as to what size tank you put in your boat. I'm looking at adding more go go juice myself. Just don't know how.

badbait

I have a extra 8 gallon tank I was holding on to that came with my 2003. I changed out a 280 for a 250XS and am not going to use the extra tank if anybody wants an extra tank. It fit right in front of the big tank. I have all the valves needed to switch over to the second tank that I used.

jimmyb

lou,

i believe your new tank will go in easier because it wont be bloated and stretched.

Sking

jaybluez, I just kept the 20 gal I had.don't know about the XB2003's but the XB2002's don't have much room in front of the tank to add another one. With a trim pump and 2 batt. not much room left. don't know how the 280 will be on gas but just have to wait and see..

allisondog69

just curious what you guys need a bigger tank for i just fished 5 days on a tank and did some pretty good running, on fumes after the last day but was not ever really stretching it. 1997 2003, 97 225 pm.

jimmyb

allisondog: more gas = farther running. I fish a bunch of tournaments and the 24 gallon tank on my old XTB was marginal if you wanted to make a 70-80 mile run with out refueling. The 30 gallon tank on my xb2003 is much nicer cause then i can make a 120 mile run with little worries. Remember the tournament fishing scenario is a lot of running and gunning, so it isnt just a cruise, it is running 5 miles at WOT, then shutting down, and running more miles at WOT, so it is hard on gas!!

JR

GSE Tank

Lou,
Mine has a 30 gallon tank in it. I am also able to slide two 6 gallon portables beside it and close the lid also.
JR

ziemer

I'm pretty sure that the "Elites" came with the optional 30 gallon tank as standard. Mine is a non-elite and it has the 24.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
tanks

both of mine had 30's, none were elites. Skydog--check that tank again, I pretty sure it is a thirty unless someone replaced it.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
check tank

Here's a way to check. Say you normally run with about 10 gallons for speed. Run the tank down to close to empty and still be safe. Fill the tank to the brim and check the gas station meter. Here's the most important part. Take the excess 20 gallons and unload into my boat.

props4u2

Tank

The Grand Sports come standard with a 24 gal. tank, the Elite model comes standard with a 30 gal. tank, a 30 gal. tank is an option for a standard Grand Sport.

Lee