Future for XB2003

It seems every article I read especially the ''Seat Time'' in Bass&Walleye is full of negativity about the future of performance Bass boats. My? as an owner myself what are the majority of XB2003 owners going to do when time to repower. It is hard to feel as good about my boat as I once did with the gloom and doom articles. Tiger JR mentions custom engines as a possibility for some, But says he and thousands of Allison and other lighter weight performance boat owners have litterally begged Mercury and others to design a lightweight motor that meets EPA standards with no luck, He says nothing is even in the works right now and doesn't know if and when there will be. Maybe some of the knowledgeable owners on here can enlighten me. Thanks!

mha

I'll quote myself!

"I wanted quality, ride, easy to tow, easy to launch and move around, efficiency, fuel economy, fun to drive performance"

The last decade I've spent driving 300 miles roundtrip to the lake and then burning about 25 gallons of gas when I got there. I'm cutting back! The 2003 fills the bill! I wanted mileage and ride. What else compares in the "quality of ride per gallon" category? I see them becoming more and more a logical choice as opposed to a "something different" choice.

10mpg towing and 3mpg running vs. 14mpg towing and 6mpg running

Next time I run into Al, I want to be able to tell him I'm doing my part!:laughing :laughing :laughing

froggy

MHA,

You are spot on!!!!!

AF, Don't fret, a 2.5 should run 500 hours before needing rings (a proper pistoned and ringed 280 should be able to do this also). If you run out of hours and supply of 2.5's the 2003 will carry a 250XS or 300XS nicely, thank you. If fuel gets to $100.00/gallon a nice 75 hp might look good. The 2003 will perform nicely with a 150HP four stroke for instance. Will one of the cookie cutters be satisfactory with a 75, 90, or 150?

Enough speculation, the fish are bitin'

froggy

I appreciate the responses MHA and Froggy. I actually sold a 2003 several months back not because of the motors, But I will admit it was on my mind a little. MHA that is one nice looking boat you got.

JOEALLY

I've considered the same thing. It doesn't seem that motors are going to get any more 'friendly' to the light hulls.

Tiger JR also says that the optimax engines being rigged on the new boats are so heavy that they are dangerous. Allison boats popularity is at an all time high and the XB03 has been a great selling model, IMO the XB03 is the best all around fish, fun and family boat ever made and most owners don't want to part with them and have to shell out 40 - 50k for a new XB21, must less have to buy a brand X gas sucking barge to drag to the lake. A little positivity on the horizon sure would be nice.

badbait

A 3-liter on a 2003 is about as popular as hydraulic steering was 7 years ago. Can they be made to work very well? A one word answer is YES.

catfish123

Can they really be made to work "well" or can they just be made to work?

jimmyb

you guys have to take tiger's article with a grain of salt...

Jimxb02

There may not be new engines that are ideal on the XB02 or XB03 but don't give up on them. Merc built thousands of 2.5 blocks over the years plus there are parts from Merc and after market that can keep these engines running for years. Think about all the 2.4's that are still running. This may buy some time until someone comes up with a new engine with power and light weight.

Jim

GFinch

Can they really be made to work "well" or can they just be made to work?

Very well!
I had one of the early Hyd steering systems Tele Flex. I sent it back after the Champion hooked a couple of times. One time wife cracked the console with her head. She healed console didn't. Called them told them the problem, assured them I wasn't going to sue them. In a year or so they sent me a system we know now as the Pro series. The only problem I've had since is a seal leaking, this is counting three systems.

Breakfast calls I'll continue this later.

It's later.

The fact is we in Calif. haven't been, legally, able to buy a new HP engine for I think 10 years or so. Like it or not the HP engine market is to small to for the manufactures to economical manufacture engines for. The emission laws are what is driving this. The government said, only if it doesn't shift will it be considered a race engine. Otherwise it's a engine subject to the emission laws.
So what has happened in the last 10 years or so is: everything is fuel injected and cleaner emission wise. Now we are seeing the newest, full figured, mass produced engines producing 250/300 horse power at 6,000 and gobs of torque across the RPM range. Where an OLD style light weight, limited production engine offered 250-300 HP at high RPM and torque IF you could break the prop loose on take off.

Time brings change. Some are good some aren't. Some changes are viewed as bad until people with a goal in mind, prove to themselves "at this time with the resources available this will or will not work." Will a full figured 3.0/3.1/3.3/... work the same NO, BUTT what NEW option do you have?

What has been said about the newest engines.
Their quiet, I have a very noisy OMCease.
They get great fuel mileage on low octane gas, I don't/cant.
They use very little oil,I premix 32/1.
This is what the majority of buyers want.

We are a very small minority, like it or not.

OK, I know many of you don't like/want to hear this, BUTT deep down ........

Heck, I have an OMCease what do I know........

Opinions are like assholes, I have one and I am one. AAH Finch, The first A is Arrogant

Where's JohnRRRRRRRRR when you need him?

Last edited:

catfish123

What is the smallest dimension hydraulic plate available? It would be really tough for me to give up a hydraulic plate. In my opinion, it has too many advantages over a fixed plate to give it up unless it was 100% necessary.

jimmyb

i had a hydraulic plate too... but i got rid of it because of the weight and because i never used it. Once i was dialed in, i never messed with the height

badbait

What is the smallest dimension hydraulic plate available? It would be really tough for me to give up a hydraulic plate. In my opinion, it has too many advantages over a fixed plate to give it up unless it was 100% necessary.
If you can't give up the hydraulic jack plate don't even consider a 3-liter. The biggest problem is your adding inches to the setback.

GFinch

Check with Al Stoker, Al's custom Marine. Stanton Ca. 714-827-7420.

He and his dad are Stoker Mod VP tunnel boats. They used/maybe still have a very thin hyd plate for their boats. Maybe they can set you up or find one for you.

ALLISONMAN

guys mother merc is working on the verado's!!!! the small 150hp motor with some tweaking should make some killer hp and they supposidly already have some verados turning 9000+ rpms!!!! come on jimmy let us know something!!! lol

Darth VMAX

Yippee.....since the regular ones are such an overwhelming success on bass boats......ROLL