Gas tanks for xb2002

John S

Does allison (or whoever makes the tanks for them) make a gas tank with a sump in it? It's always drove me crazy not to have one, and I never go below 1/4 for that fact. I was going to have a stainless or aluminum one built this winter, but if there is a plastic one out there, I'm sure that would be the way cheaper route.

Scott in MN

I also found that min. 5 gallons of fuel was needed in the tank or the pump would suck air. I built an aluminum one this Spring for mine and I can tell you anything you buy will be cheaper than building your own or having someone build one custom for your ally. The problem is you just can't find anything pre-built that makes the most efficient use of the space in the rear hatch area of the allison. By building my own I got the fill and vent in the factory locations. A rear sump and fuel line connection at front lower center so I can make changes without pulling tank and be able to see and tighten to correct any leaks. And the best thing is it comes forward only to the stock location and I am using the stock mount bracket. But it is expensive to build, double the cost of a pre-fab not including my labor.

Bobalouie

There is already a sump in the XB2002 plastic tank. At least there is on mine, which is a 2008 model. The best thing to do is to buy a bung for a plastic tank to put in the sump and remove the standpipe. When my tank is completely empty, there is about 1/4" of fuel left in the sump. Making the change will cost you less than $30. I bought a quality fitting from Jaz, a brass fitting to cap off the stanpipe bung on the top, and a drill bit to drill the hole. Thats all you need.

Last edited:

Scott in MN

Where is the sump in the 2008 model? My standpipe was at the front so at less than 5 gal of fuel when launching the fuel would slosh back and the motor would stumble/kill...

M.ALEXIE

does allison (or whoever makes the tanks for them) make a gas tank with a sump in it? It's always drove me crazy not to have one, and i never go below 1/4 for that fact. I was going to have a stainless or aluminum one built this winter, but if there is a plastic one out there, i'm sure that would be the way cheaper route.
i have one for $100 +shipping if you need it. 24 gal. Original tank.

Marty

Bobalouie

In the center of the tank, there is an area that drops down and fits down in the part of the bilge that the pad forms. I have a pic of a tank, but I cant access it until tonight. I put my fitting as far back as I could on the lowest part of the tank.

alc

The factory tank has a sump. It does not have a reinforced (thick ) place to inasall a bulk head fitting. I have done a few ,and they last for a few years then they will develope spider web cracks running out from the hole. I guess they just aren't thick enough .

Bobalouie

Mine was a full 3/16" thick on the bottom, which is quite a bit thicker than the 3 gal racing fuel cell I have.

Bobalouie

Thanks for posting that Casey, that was the pic I was going to find and post. I used that pic as a template for mine, and, like you, I dont have any problems getting all the gas.