Giant Smallmouths

flatout

The holy grail of all tournaments is this weekend on Lake Simcoe here in Ontario Canada. The winning weight for 5 fish is predicted to be over 30 lb. Yep thats not a typo.....6 lb average is what is expected. Last year was won with 28.5 lb and the record was 29.6 lb. Weather on Sunday is supposed to be perfect for fall fishing over deep underwater humps. Last year we brought in over 25 lb and we missed two over 7 lb which would have put us in the top 3. Anything under 4.5 lb is considered a "d!ink".
Yeehawww! cant wait...
Howard....>=|">

Bob Ant

Good luck in the tournament. Is this a ice fishing tournament? Just kidding. Let us know how you do.

Speedman

how do they get that big with such a small growing season? have you ever seen those fish on beds? that would be cool!

flatout

Well the tournament is over and my arms are sore! We were first out of the box and blew across open water 20 miles to our spot. We fished a mid lake hump in 30 feet of water. Our first pass,, double header 5.5 lb smallies. By 9:00 we had 25.5 lb and fishing slowed a bit. It got so rough that it blew us off the main lake and I got seasick :oops: so we headed for sheltered water behind this island. We figured we might as well fish so I dropped a line down in 30 feet and wham :shock: I thought it must be a lake trout cause i couldnt budge it. Then it came up and my words were holy >>,<< We landed it and it weighed in at 7.3 lb on our scale in the cull bag. Well that cured te seasickness!!
At the weigh-in we weighed in first. 27.54 lb. And then we weighed our big toad.,,,, 7.16 lb :mrgreen: It won us the big fish pot ($360.00)
We finished third overall! The winning weight was 29.9 lb a new all time Canadian record for a single bag of 5 fish. Second was 27.75
Oh ya,,there was a guy there with a Bullet,,,,He got skunked :roll:

froggy

Flatout,

Someone will protest the accuracy of the scales used---just wait.

The protest will be justified because of the well known fact "You cannot catch fish out of an Allison!!!!".

Congratulations. I can only dream of such a nice bag of smallies.

froggy

Speedman

smallmouth heaven

holy crap! the mother load of smallies, where is this magical lake? you got 27 lbs and lost?? wow, I have never seen a 7 lb smallie! what did you get those pigs on? how far is this lake from the states? So many questions, sorry but all I fish for is smallies!

flatout

Lake Simcoe is an hour north of Toronto. For you Canadian geography challenged, Toronto is an hour from Buffalo. The tournament is held the last Saturday in October every year out of Monte Reno Marina in Lefroy. They will postpone the tournament if the weather is real bad. We caught them on tubes dragged over humps in 30 feet. Dark colours with lots of garlic does the trick. Yes 7 lb smallies require removal of the livewell divider and 10 lb line is the minimum I would recommend. I also recommend retying after every fish because their teeth grate like a file on the knot and believe me! you need a good knot to haul one of these things to the boat in a brisk wind.
Oh ya,,it is recommended that you wear a floater suit. The water temp is 43 degrees.
Howard...

RedAllison

That's awesome, those are Pickwick sack weights. I would've never thought anywhere north of the Great Lakes would grow many brownfish over 5-6#s that's AWESOME.

43 degree water? Man down on Pickwick the smallies go dormant much below 48-50, I guess that's about the equivalent of 60s down here (which is prime). A 7# smallie is about like tying a spinnerbait into the transom loop of a boat and trying to keep it from holeshotin!!! :mrgreen:

Good deal,
RA

Speedman

Red, try silver buddies on 6-8 lb test over 40-60 ft of water. They will kill them even if the water is in the 30's!