"Golden Era" of High Performance Outboard Motors

BigRWater

I have collected and sold high end guitars for 40 plus years. The '30's are considered the "Golden Era" for acoustic guitars, while the '50's are generally considered the "Golden Era" by many for electric guitars.

Many, many great guitars (and recordings from gtrs built outside of these periods) were & are being built & played outside of these two decades.

I am new to thinking about this as it pertains to Outboard motors. After some reading, (including here) it appears to me that the 1990's might be the "Golden Era" of the high performance Outboard motors.

So my question is, as it pertains to "High Performance Outboard Motors" what might you consider the "Golden Era" and why?

Jon

Supporting Member
I would have to go with the 80's. The 2.4's are still really quick with the right setup. Something which trickled over from the 70's, but the 80's really saw the rise of, is the 3cyl yamaha for roundy round - my neighbor was the person to first break 100mph on the water with less than 100hp. There was a lot of innovation in the 80's as well, by people like the Pughs, Reynolds, Orans, etc - lots of world records which have still not been broken came from the 80's.

Boat racing was not what it is today, which is too regulated, both from the racing and viewing perspective. When I was young (in the 80's, when I was born you bunch of old hillbilly's (Hensley)), I remember watching my neighbors test boats in front of the dock. People were pushing a different envelope then. On the 4th, Budweiser would sponsor the races in Kingston, and you could park along the bluff and watch (and smell) racing all day long. What a time. Now, Budweiser can't sponsor jack in Kingston (which I realize has nothing to do with engines), and the sport has declined on the spectator side of things.

Anyway, my beef with EFI. What did it "fix"? Mercury locked it down so tight, and the EFI boxes on the 90's Merc's are so stupid/unintelligent about the running condition of the engine, they're basically just dumping fuel into the motor like a carb, only factoring a couple of pre-iginition variables and utilizing timers for warm-up mechanics. Merc saw this "innovation" as an opportunity to grab the consumer by the undercarriage and not allow us to tune our own motors, except mechanically. A normal person couldn't even hook up to the diag port for a long time, and the subscription for the DDT was outrageous for dealers. Eventually Tony B did make an ECU with a tune-able fuel map, but it is still based on antiquated technology, relying only on setting the injector dwell time based on ignition, and not actually changing the ignition to suit conditions, as any other decent ECU does. Nikasil is junk for most average hot rodder/racer groups. And the differences between the 175/200/225's and 260/280/300's - what a joke.

I think I've steered off the tracks somewhere :). So carb motors, and the events which they drove, the records, the innovation, all happened (mostly) in the 80's. I'll have to save my lower unit conversation for another day - not enough time in the day to bash on the sportmaster and why it sucks.

Let me know what you think :)

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have to go with the 80's. The 2.4's are still really quick with the right setup. Something which trickled over from the 70's, but the 80's really saw the rise of, is the 3cyl yamaha for roundy round - my neighbor was the person to first break 100mph on the water with less than 100hp. There was a lot of innovation in the 80's as well, by people like the Pughs, Reynolds, Orans, etc - lots of world records which have still not been broken came from the 80's.

Boat racing was not what it is today, which is too regulated, both from the racing and viewing perspective. When I was young (in the 80's, when I was born you bunch of old hillbilly's (Hensley)), I remember watching my neighbors test boats in front of the dock. People were pushing a different envelope then. On the 4th, Budweiser would sponsor the races in Kingston, and you could park along the bluff and watch (and smell) racing all day long. What a time. Now, Budweiser can't sponsor jack in Kingston (which I realize has nothing to do with engines), and the sport has declined on the spectator side of things.

Anyway, my beef with EFI. What did it "fix"? Mercury locked it down so tight, and the EFI boxes on the 90's Merc's are so stupid/unintelligent about the running condition of the engine, they're basically just dumping fuel into the motor like a carb, only factoring a couple of pre-iginition variables and utilizing timers for warm-up mechanics. Merc saw this "innovation" as an opportunity to grab the consumer by the undercarriage and not allow us to tune our own motors, except mechanically. A normal person couldn't even hook up to the diag port for a long time, and the subscription for the DDT was outrageous for dealers. Eventually Tony B did make an ECU with a tune-able fuel map, but it is still based on antiquated technology, relying only on setting the injector dwell time based on ignition, and not actually changing the ignition to suit conditions, as any other decent ECU does. Nikasil is junk for most average hot rodder/racer groups. And the differences between the 175/200/225's and 260/280/300's - what a joke.

I think I've steered off the tracks somewhere :). So carb motors, and the events which they drove, the records, the innovation, all happened (mostly) in the 80's. I'll have to save my lower unit conversation for another day - not enough time in the day to bash on the sportmaster and why it sucks.

I bet there's money to be made off those laser ecus, lots of bad or loose drivers. How many thousands of them are out there? I find it odd that there's only about 2 guys you hear of that repair them. And on that same note, with the number of them in existence it's surprising there's not more demand for tuning them.

dubmoney

Jon,

I am interested in your lower unit discussion/rant. I am probably a little younger than most on here, and to me the 2005 Mercury Racing 280 and 300 Drag, marked the end of true high performance motors from what once was a factory effort from Mercury and OMC, much like Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and now KTM have in Motocross. If technology is the the factor that determines the "Golden Age" Maybe we are just at the beginning of what could be the golden age of Outboards, This new V-8 platform that Mercury has released, could outperform anything we have seen in the past. Call me an optimist LOL.

Dave Hensley

I think the biggest factor in what we are seeing is the market the motor manufacturers have targeted. Our 18'-22' single outboards have been replaced by luxury pontoons, wakeboard boats and big inboards. If you want to look at the golden age of outboards as it pertains to our tastes......look at the number of different models that Allison boats came out with and the timing of those introductions. That will closely mirror our golden age of motors. Racing, speed records and high performance bass boats were not a liability to the motor manufacturers and they got well selling product.

Jon

Supporting Member
True enough, 90's ecu's were junk--but you have to start somewhere. The Wright Bros 'flyer' was a bunch of toothpicks--but it flew, all of 120 feet and 12 seconds.
Exactly, but there was an evolution of the airplane, but not of the ECU or injection system in general (other than some of the licensed orbital XS components).

BigRWater

...IMO the golden era for outboards (and therefore high perf) was the horsepower wars of the 50's and 60's. OMC vs Merc. Many evolutions became common: The first 100 hp outboard, 100 mph outboard, first 6 cylinder, v-4s, power trim, shifting gearcase, cupped props, jack plates, etc. Note: the recent passing of Charlie Strang--who was at the center of all this (MIT, Merc, OMC). Don't forget what made the whole thing (marine industry and others) go--pent up demand from WW2. From that era, either invented or became common: Disneyland, TV, fast food, solid body electric guitar, rock, counter culture, space race, polio vaccine, hydrogen bombs, ICBM's, jets, muscle cars, interstates, etc. Oh, and one more--I can't resist--birth of the digital computer (Iowa State University).
I have 4 or 5 magazines from the '50s the have the word or a variant, "Outboard" in the title or subheading that support your opinion. There are probably more. I am no expert. I just happened to pick these up at a yardsale this spring. But judging by these magazines, there was a lot of energy and excitement in the "Outboarding" world.

Attachments

BigRWater

...not enough time in the day to bash on the sportmaster and why it sucks.

Thank you! I finally purchased a motor with a sportmaster (have admired for a long time), pretty sure your thoughts will not support my feelings, that I did a good thing... ...and the ECU? Really? LOL

I need to learn more about the 2.4s. I have been assuming that the 2.5s are the "Gibson '59 Les Paul Standard" of outboards.

Last edited:

BigRWater

If technology is the the factor that determines the "Golden Age" Maybe we are just at the beginning of what could be the golden age of Outboards, This new V-8 platform that Mercury has released, could outperform anything we have seen in the past. Call me an optimist LOL.
I hope your right.

However, in guitars, the best of the new technology and/or manufacturing capability, may never be combined the best of practices of the past due to sometimes to government... ...also, lost art, material sources, market changes and other factors.

But for outboards? We can hope.

BigRWater

...Never, never, never buy a boat without telling the wife. They tend to get steamed.
While I tend to agree with you, if it is an Allison model = (next one I want) with a Super Magnum!~ I am sorry, I am going to buy it first and then plead for forgiveness. 'And/or use the insanity defense.

Dave Hensley

I have convinced my wife to look at boats as an investment. My "work" if you will. Problem is you can't keep them.....

Jon

Supporting Member
Thank you! I finally purchased a motor with a sportmaster (have admired for a long time), pretty sure your thoughts will not support my feelings, that I did a good thing... ...and the ECU? Really? LOL
The Sportmaster is great for some of the larger boats, but a coned torquemaster or XR6 (I prefer XR6 if you can keep it together) is a better design - at least when it comes to lighter boats running the speeds we do. I really do not like how the sportmaster runs in the water.

Total side topic, who doesn't love the many nearly and sometimes interchangeable LU parts merc makes? I especially like the pitting drive shafts and 2 piece prop shafts.

On a related note: Never, never, never buy a boat without telling the wife. They tend to get steamed. All five of them.
I'm allowed to buy a couple of boats without asking, if I ever run across them. I got permission in advance :)

At the Allison rally this year--Arrowhead--a guy at the dock had a 1952 Johnson running on a jonboat. Smooth as silk.
The 1949 Sea King on my jon boat is great. I like to work on the little motors. They're fun and quick to clean up, and surprisingly stout at lower hp.

Lotus 50

Same wife, 33 years
Same SS2000, 15 years
Golden age of outboards might be now for me, except that both my purchases are out of production
150 HO on our ski boat sips fuel, pulls skiers easily, and goes 61
I sent a deposit on a new 200XS fo my SS2000
In both cases performance and economy and weight that I may never see again

BigRWater

Here is my 1982 4 hp Johnson. This motor runs perfectly, all day, no matter how slow or fast you need it to go, its there for you.
This Johnson speaks well for the '80s.
DSC00153.jpg

Jon

Supporting Member
Here is my 1982 4 hp Johnson. This motor runs perfectly, all day, no matter how slow or fast you need it to go, its there for you.
This Johnson speaks well for the '80s.
My 87 Merc 25HP will push my 14' jon boat 33mph, and has since 1989 when I got it. I've only ever changed the plugs in it. It will still pull me up on slalom as well!