GPS Antenna Location??

jdm90

Would like advice from XTB owners about where to mount my GPS Antenna. I know there was some previous discussions on this but haven't found those post yet. Any pics if available would be great too.
Thanks.
David

jdm90

Neat and out of the way. Is there any trade off with reception??
Thanks for the pics.
David

K

Kevin from FL

None that I have found, it gets great reception.

jdm90

Thanks Kev - I'll do some checking. Do you know if the antenna has to be mounted on a horizontal surface or can it be mounted vertical, like inside a storage compartment?

K

Kevin from FL

As long as the antenna is mounted horizontal and can get signals through fiberglass, it will do fine.

jimmyb

on my xtb, i took the padded dash piece out and mounted all my electronics on top, including the gps antenna... i am not sure why allison had the padded dash top on there, but it worked out slick when i sold the boat, i simply reinstalled it and it covered up all the holes

Texan

I've got a variation along this same theme; behind the dash, under the fiberglass dome. Mine is for the Nordskog GPS Speedo, and it works great. I've got to go over to the warehouse where I store the boat this weekend to take some things I need to get out of my office. I'll crawl up under there with the camera, snap some pic's and post them tomorrow.

Bill

jdm90

Had sorta same idea about dash Jimmy, good idea about covering the holes. Thanks.
Thanks Texan for info and pics would be appreciated.
Thanks again guys
David

Texan

Sorry I haven't got the pictures posted yet. I still have a pile of stuff in my office too. I will, without fail get over there Monday morning and snap some shots. Hopefully I can get them up on the board then.

Bill

RedAllison

Damnn Kev that's slickern snakesnot ona doorknob! ;)

JDM since yours is a XTB I can't remember, are your compartment lids aluminum or glass? If they are aluminum I doubt you'll get much reception if fiberglass then such a rig should work.

Good luck,
RA

jdm90

Thanks Red - the lids are glass.
Texan - no rush on the pics, whenever you get them would be fine, thanks.
David

Texan

Taking a picture proved to be more of a challange than I thought it would be. I've got one that was in focus. The others I thought were in focus while I was under there, but I guess with all that blood rushing to my head my eyes were out of focus.

Here's the short skinny: I took a piece of diamond plate aluminum and cut a strip about 6-8" long and 1.5-2" wide. Once cut and the edges smoothed I bent it into a "L" shaped at a 90 degree angle. I drilled a hole in both ends, connecting the GPS receiver to the long side. Behind the dash, I took the nuts holding the depth finder bracket in place off and slid the other short end of the fabricated bracket down, and tightened the nut back down. This was two seasons ago and after being under there the other day, the installation is still holding upright. It isn't the most professional installation in the world, but it has held and it works.

bishopg

My dad and I have ours planed under the bullet on a XB2002. They are not attached to anything either. Just laying on the carpet. Receives great! I have a Lowrance 26D and my fathers is a LCX-15C.

Blue Gray in PA

I used Marine grade silicone adhesive and stuck it to the floor on the starboard side of the bow. This keeps it under the top deck and out of sight and possible damage. It's held fine for over two years but if I really needed to get it loose, I think I could pry it up without damaging anything since the adhesive never really gets too hard.

K

Kevin from FL

Scott, can you take a pic and send it to me, thanks.

If anyone else has mounted an antenna under the topcap, please take a pic and send it to me with the method used, thanks.