Grandpas old gun???

RedAllison

Help, I'm having a "pyschological dilema".

When I was 15 years old my paternal grandfather gave me his rifle. It's a Marlin 336 in 35Rem that he bought back in the 60s. Being the oldest grandchild and the most serious outdoorsman of the lot, he wanted me to have that gun. (He also later gave my dad his beloved 12ga he got second hand when he was a kid because he wanted to make sure I ended up with it someday. My dad gave it to me a couple of years ago because dad knew it would be most protected in my safe and cared for by me vs sitting in a case in his closet)

So anyway, my grandad was like alot from his generation (he was a WWII and Korean War veteran) he grew up hunting and shooting before scopes were commonplace and the ones built "back in the day" were considerably less trust worthy than todays technological wonder pieces. I remember like it was yesterday, he walked into my dads house with that 35 and before he handed it too me he said, "Son this is a saddle rifle and they were never built for scopes. So DON'T ever put a scope on it ok?" (Nevermind the Marlin's are factory drilled and tapped and nearly all of them have always been scoped because of their true side ejection vs the Winchester 94s top/angle eject)

A year or two later I killed a doe with it just to say I'd killed a deer with it. It's sat unused for the last 24 years since! I've kept it in pristene condition and take it out every now and then to handle it and think about my grandad (he passed nearly 18 years ago now). But with my buying a new hunting farm this fall and totally changing the way I'm used to deer hunting I now am hunting mainly woods and setups where 150-200yds is the farthest shots I'll have. I have 270s, a 280, 7mags, a 300Wby and several other good rifles but I've want to get something lighter, quicker and a little more "fun" to hunt with. Initially I thought I'd buy a lightweight 243 like I got for my boys. But then I got to thinkin the other night, "Why not break out grandads ol 35?" Inside of 200yds the old 35Rem is magic in the deerwoods.

BUUUT, I hate iron sights. They are essentially worthless over 50yds and I can shoot scopes much faster than iron sights. I know he said, "Don't" but I can't help but wonder if perhaps my grandad could see me with a scoped rifle now after 25+ years of hunting and 200 deer, I can "whack em with the best of em". What would he say? Would he think scoping it and using it would outweigh not scoping it which would mean it continues to sit in the safe for decades again remaining unused?

What do you guys think? I really want to take that old gun out and hunt with it but I wouldn't think of it without scoping it first. I even have the ideal scope for it that's not being used, a Leupold VariX-III 2.5x8x36. A simple bridge and ring mount for the Marlin and I'd be in like flint. I'm ready to return the old Marlin back into the deerwoods for which it was created for in the first place. Would even be neat to let my boys bust a deer with it so they could say they got one with their great-grandfathers gun! But then he told me, "Don't"!!!

I just don't know,

RA

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Given the two options....I think your grandad would rather see it in use than sittin' in the safe! I doubt he gave it to you with the intentions of it NOT being used. Scope it......

F2008

Honor your Grandad's wishes. Enjoy it as it is, then one day in the future hand it down to one of your son's with the same instruction. Keep that character building trait going.

reward69

Honor your grandads wishes.. The Key word here is (HONOR).... Not much of that left in the world. When my dads grandmother died, her last wishes was that all her belongings be auctioned and the moneys split between the remaining kids. So this gave all kids the options to bid or buy what ever they wanted to have. A portion of the money would go back to the bidder anyway. Believe me this wasnt about money, it was about honoring the wish of my dying mother. Well two of my aunts decided that their mother would have wanted them to have specific things and didnt want them in the auction. This wasnt her wishes. So you can imagine what happens next, lawsuit.... Thats right, two sisters that cant HONOR their mothers wishes and now you have brothers and sisters that won't talk to each other. Thats been over ten years ago!!!!!!!

You asked for opinions so here you go... HONOR his wishes..... You'll sleep better at night..

Last edited:

Texan

Honor your grandads wishes.. The Key word here is (HONOR).... Not much of that left in the world. When my dads grandmother died, her last wishes was that all her belongings be auctioned and the moneys split between the remaining kids. So this gave all kids the options to bid or buy what ever they wanted to have. A portion of the money would go back to the bidder anyway. Believe me this wasnt about money, it was about honoring the wish of my dying mother. Well two of my aunts decided that their mother would have wanted them to have specific things and didnt want them in the auction. This wasnt her wishes. So you can imagine what happens next, lawsuit.... Thats right, two sisters that cant HONOR their mothers wishes and now you have brothers and sisters that won't talk to each other. Thats been over ten years ago!!!!!!!

You asked for opinions so here you go... HONOR his wishes..... You'll sleep better at night..
There is a lot to be said for being an only child and grandchild. My son is one too, except he went one step farther and was an only great grandchild on my side. My wife is one of six, and since her parents both passed, I've seen the strife created when one brother or sister doesn't see it the same way as the others. I, myself chose to stay out of the middle when it comes to their business. It only creates heartache and pain.

I'm sorry that you have had to go through this pain. I truly hope time will heal what greed has caused. And I'm all in agreement on the HONOR thing. Way too little of it left in the world. Both personally and professionally.

SLOmofo

A person is born with their Name and their Word. He gave you his name it's up to you to keep your Word.

When you chose to, you will use it, with your grand dads help using those open sights.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have the ideal gun and the perfect scope, do it. You won't be drilling any holes to mount the scope since it is already pre drilled. It will be easy to return to original condition.

He would rather see you using it, you are not abusing it.

RedAllison

He would rather see you using it, you are not abusing it.
Kinda what I believe ss. :wink

I'm to bad wantin to start usin it on my new place so I got the stuff and mounted it all up lastnight. Being a 336RC (for Regular Carbine) with it's 20" barrel this lil package comes up QUICK and handles like a dream. Hopefully I'll get a chance to sight it in tomorrow and next week it'll begin drawing blood. Probably even let my boys bust one with their great-grandfathers rifle. I picked up a box of Hornady Leverevolution 200grn FTXs for it as well. Should make this ol .35 as potent as it hopes to be.

RA

Attachments

whipper

Get a horse and scarab great pack rifle. I have a 444. A little heavy but I love Marlins. Good bear gun. Nice little package ya got right there. Classic. You know your a good hunter when you bag a deer with a rifle range like that.:big grin You have to get closer than a bow hunter.:gasp

jimbob88

Got the text pic- looks good. But if you are really wanting ally family opinion, you knew your answer before you asked the question. I think it would mean more if you hunted and were successful with grampas weapon the way he hunted to the next generations. Might hafta take few more shots at the range but pride factor would be huge!! Life lessons...

Scott Gilmore

DEER !!! NO way man you shoud be able to shoot those little puppy "tennessee" dog size "DEER" with grandmas old BB gun. Save Grandpa's gun for something worth.............you know. Scott :big buck:beer:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Honor thy father, or in this case, grandfather. Go buy a 7mm .08 and be done with it.
I included two quotes, but I agree with all of the quotes about honor..... lack of honor is what has this country in such a mess today, but that is a subject for another thread......

Red I keyed on two words in all of this thread.... "light and honor"..... I got a Remington 700 chambered in 7mm-08 with my dad's old 1963 Redfield 3-9 variable. Bedded the action and floated the barrel. Hand-loads with an 18" paper-thin barrel. 120 gr Sierra... 44.5 gr IMR-4064, Federal 210M, 2.725" OAL, R-P cases. 3-shot groups at 100 yds - 0.5"... 0.9" at 200 yds..... boys killed many a deer with that gun.... coined a phrase: "7-08 lays 'em straight!"

My 2 cents. You can use this opportunity to achieve multiple objectives...... Honor your grand-dad..... teach the boys to figure out a way to get within 50 yds of the deer and use the iron sights. Teach them gun-smithing, marksmanship and the pride of making a clean long-distance kill with a lighter scoped gun...... and you'll derive satisfaction from the entire process, and from the fact that you will honor your grand-dads wishes....

Richard
Merc 2.5 owner / wanna-be Ally driver

bruce pitts

I have a 30/30 my dad gave me 28 years ago i hunt from time to time with it and it's just like it was when he gave it to me and i could never change it that being he gave it to me 1 year before he pass a way