GS righed with 2001 225 Rude Ram vs 225 Promax

krank21

I've drilled a hole thru the mounts and then drive a tight fitting pin thru them, cut off excess and install. it's still got the rubber surface to case that will give slightly. Theres a guy on Scream & Fly that makes a solid upper mount also makes the Taylor 16" mid section. Sam?
Thanks for this, I'm trying to visualize the direction of the pin. If I'm looking at the mount from the outside, installed without a cap, which direction would the pin be set in?

Attachments

krank21

I've drilled a hole thru the mounts and then drive a tight fitting pin thru them, cut off excess and install. it's still got the rubber surface to case that will give slightly. Theres a guy on Scream & Fly that makes a solid upper mount also makes the Taylor 16" mid section. Sam?
I think I may have found someone on Screem & Fly who has them, thanks for the info! Hope to hear back from him :)

dubmoney

I think the guy that has the Taylor Mid molds name is Todd Defilipps. I have purchased some cowling rigging tube adapters from him. Super nice guy. He is on facebook, search his name, he is in Naples, Florida. He also has a web site Wickedpowerboats.com his phone number is on the web site. He goes by Todd D. on Scream and fly. If he doesn't have what you need there is another guy on Scream and Fly named Chaz that can make em for you, but if you have a lathe, I would just turn em out.... that way you can say you made parts that make you go fast.

krank21

It's best to do all or none. Having one end flex and the other solid can cause stress to the the mid. When you have solid mounts you will feel all the vibrations from the engine in the boat. Not a bad thing butt just something to be aware of.
Sam Jenkins maybe?
I reached out to Sam Jenkins yesterday on Scream & Fly but haven't heard back. That said, I did find a set of Land & Sea Posi Steer lower mounts that I'm told are for V6 Loopers. These seem like they would fit just fine but I don't know well enough. Any chance you might know? Also, what's a good ballpark price on something like this?

As for the upper mount, this lines up year wise but I don't know well enough to pull the trigger on it either. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/282323217942?ul_noapp=true

Attached are a few shots of both upper and lowers. Let me know if I should make a move.

Thanks!

Attachments

krank21

I don't like the look of those Land and Sea bottom mounts. Sam (what's his name...lol ) will fix you up. The cowl and lowers I have came from him.
Guessing the mounts he has are more robust? The Land and Sea look to be milled out of heavy aluminum angle. His similar or a thicker billet? Any chance of some pics you might have? Just curious. Also, a question regarding the upper mount swap. I'll need to lift the powerhead, never did this before but have swapped car engines and what not so not afraid to get my hands dirty.

My question is, when I un-marry the power head from the mid section, is it possible for me to keep things hooked up to the boat and work between the power head and the mid section in place? Ideal situation would be to not mess anything up since it's pretty well done as is.

SLOmofo

I have a Taylor 16" mid on the Allison. The upper mount is a solid piece like what he will sell you. There is no extra piece(mount) for the lower, this is where the shortness is. 4 studs and nylock nuts. Sorry I don't have easy access to pics. Our upper mount is held down with a metal plate 4 bolts. You also have to remove the 2 bolts attaching it to the steering arm.
Lifting the power head is simple as long as you get ALL the bolts out. Remember the bolt that attaches the shift rod! I have lifted and swung the power head without discnecting much if anything. Just depends how much slack you have in hoses and wiring. You got to get it far enough apart to scrape the gasket surfaces CLEAN. Plus you got to get the upper mount out and back in. It's simple just takes time. Do it right... do it once. Locktite is your friend.

krank21

I have a Taylor 16" mid on the Allison. The upper mount is a solid piece like what he will sell you. There is no extra piece(mount) for the lower, this is where the shortness is. 4 studs and nylock nuts. Sorry I don't have easy access to pics. Our upper mount is held down with a metal plate 4 bolts. You also have to remove the 2 bolts attaching it to the steering arm.
Lifting the power head is simple as long as you get ALL the bolts out. Remember the bolt that attaches the shift rod! I have lifted and swung the power head without discnecting much if anything. Just depends how much slack you have in hoses and wiring. You got to get it far enough apart to scrape the gasket surfaces CLEAN. Plus you got to get the upper mount out and back in. It's simple just takes time. Do it right... do it once. Locktite is your friend.

Got it, that doesn't sound so bad at all, early spring project :p I don't know a whole lot about this stuff yet, curious, what's a Taylor mid like and why did you swap it out? Like I said, don't know much about this stuff yet.

SLOmofo

Taylor Mid is 16"= short mid section. I believe Sam sells these now also. I changed over to one because it lowers the center of gravity and can inable use of a Merc lower unit(ratcheting gear case).
The pic shows a little of a Taylor mid section. Not sure but this might be Sam's boat.

Attachments

krank21

Taylor Mid is 16"= short mid section. I believe Sam sells these now also. I changed over to one because it lowers the center of gravity and can inable use of a Merc lower unit(ratcheting gear case).
The pic shows a little of a Taylor mid section. Not sure but this might be Sam's boat.
Oh wow! this is a killer set up. I was actually asking around about ratcheting gears and couldn't find anything. This mid exhausts above water as well with this? Man this is a killer set up. Did you convert it yourself? This is awesome. Pricey conversion?

krank21

Oh wow! this is a killer set up. I was actually asking around about ratcheting gears and couldn't find anything. This mid exhausts above water as well with this? Man this is a killer set up. Did you convert it yourself? This is awesome. Pricey conversion?

You know... I had big plans for a car build and then got this boat with the thought of moving away from the car project, but it's been difficult to let go. But the more you guys show me, the better this gets, this is awesome. I didn't' realize how much I could do with this thing. It's getting easier and easier to think about selling off the Camaro LOL.

Thanks for all of the info, this is pretty damn motivating :p

Last edited: