Gulfport Races

hullbilly

We had a great time. Hope it was good for the spectators. I wish I had more time to watch and visit, but the racing end of it can eat up a day quickly.

We just got in today, so it hasn't really sunk in that the ol xb2003 brought home the World Championship!!!!!!!!!! We couldn't be more proud! It's been a freaking loooooong summer!

Thanks to the DSRA and the folks from the Dock/Gulfport area!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Screen

xb2003

Congratulations Mark...Heck of a race. That tidecraft was unbelievable. Get any info on that thing?

hullbilly

Congratulations Mark...Heck of a race. That tidecraft was unbelievable. Get any info on that thing?
I think I've got the story, but not 100%. Here's what I know. Mel Smith (the driver) also owns Smith Marine and he builds tidecrafts. He used to build prosecutor boats and I'm not sure how the two are related, but they certainly look similar to me.

Mel has been racing for over 20 years and used to kill everybody for years with this boat in the DSRA bassboat classes. Let's just say it ain't your grandpa's tidecraft. If you noticed, Mel also built a drag version (all white) which he raced in superstock. Looks similar to an allison drag boat.

His bassboat looks like a merge between the prosecutor boats he had and the old tidecrafts. I'm not sure of this, but it's just my observations. Mel used to run the prosecutors back in the old DSRA and ODBA days.

He is extremely knowledgeable and has a ton of experience. It was a pleasure to race him and even more of a pleasure to out run him, given his dominance in the past. Can't really call yourself the Perf. Bass & Ski World Champ without outrunning that boat. Just wouldn't be the same. I think he told me he planned on bringing it to a few races next year.

Being an allison guy, I must admit that allisons have not been very successful in the Bass & Ski class traditionally. The weights in the class are heavy, for example my boat with a 225 pmax has to weigh 2050 lbs. The bullet and tidecraft are wider and have a larger pad, which helps them carry this weight better. For me, one of the things I'm most proud of this year, is figuring out how to make the allison carry the weight and come out of the hole.

Last edited:

hack02

I read over on BYUBOYZ the results of the races and read the winner of the Performance Bass and Ski class but I just didn't realize it was our very own loyal contributor HullBilly. Congrats on a big win. It is definately an accomplishment to make your boat tote the weight like the wider pads you race against. Congrats.

hullbilly

I read over on BYUBOYZ the results of the races and read the winner of the Performance Bass and Ski class but I just didn't realize it was our very own loyal contributor HullBilly. Congrats on a big win. It is definately an accomplishment to make your boat tote the weight like the wider pads you race against. Congrats.
Thank ya sir! It sure would make sense if my username was a little closer to my real name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha!

I sure have learned a lot about the xb2003 and setting one of these things up over the course of the season!

Last edited:

mercman1234

Congrades mark . Hope we can do next year.im going work on that white and blue xb2002. This winter. Going to make some mod it my be pbs or lake race. It don't like the weight .talk to you later . Hope to see yall soon.take it lite

hullbilly

Congrades mark . Hope we can do next year.im going work on that white and blue xb2002. This winter. Going to make some mod it my be pbs or lake race. It don't like the weight .talk to you later . Hope to see yall soon.take it lite
Hey Scott....we really enjoyed racing with y'all this year man! Kimberly mentioned several times how nice your wife was throughout the season. Too bad we don't live a little closer, or we could hook it up for some boat riding! I thought your boat ran really good in Gulfport. It's obvious you were working on the setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You had that baby coming out the hole.

Congrats on beating Mel too! Oh and thank you for putting a loss on him early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna try to run 1400 modified with the drag boat next year if the creek don't run dry!

Oh yeah, if you could weigh 1550 in lake racer, I think a xb2002 with a stock 260 or 280 could compete.

mercman1234

Thanks mark hope you do good in 1400 mod i may go to lake race so i don't have to add so much weight.but i'll proably stay in pbs one more year after i finish my house buy me a 260 then go to lake race. Talk to you later and congrats on your win again