HDS9 in a 03 console?

allimax

Has anyone managed to install a 9" Lowrance in the dash of an 03? It looks like a tight fit but maybe possible with some custome bracket work. I made a cardboard cut out just to check face size, not as much room there as I thought but I still think possible. Be nice if they made dummies like they do for a small block Chevy.

GotMyAlly

I used that RAM swing arm mount on my 03. Great mount. I think it was more stable than the ball mount that I have now.

allimax

Never thought about doing things that way, I had in my head to make an aluminum bracket to sit forward a little and use the Lowrance mount to bolt to that. What I had in mind would be solid to take the beating I give this rig with the dang wake board boats and heavy boat traffic I deal with. Yours may be a better idea and would make it possible to swivel some from passenger towards driver. I assume you mounted the foot in the rear of the hole and had the center shaft laying somewhat flat? That would be quick and easy if solid enough and my experience with the ram mounts has been pretty good.
GotMyAlly, I hope you took no offense to the lighting thing. On a 21 I have no idea what's being used so no comment, my point was the housing is more important and has to be designed for the bulb to work properly especially in crappy weather.

GotMyAlly

Never thought about doing things that way, I had in my head to make an aluminum bracket to sit forward a little and use the Lowrance mount to bolt to that. What I had in mind would be solid to take the beating I give this rig with the dang wake board boats and heavy boat traffic I deal with. Yours may be a better idea and would make it possible to swivel some from passenger towards driver. I assume you mounted the foot in the rear of the hole and had the center shaft laying somewhat flat? That would be quick and easy if solid enough and my experience with the ram mounts has been pretty good.
Yep, that's exactly how I had mine set up. I also used a piece of aluminum plate to reinforce the console and distribute the load. It was rock solid in rough water. I'll see if I can find a picture -- should be one here on the board somewhere.

GotMyAlly, I hope you took no offense to the lighting thing. On a 21 I have no idea what's being used so no comment, my point was the housing is more important and has to be designed for the bulb to work properly especially in crappy weather.
No offense taken at all. Discussion is what these forums are for, and different experiences just add to the information sharing. I agree with your assessment for the most part. The HID bulbs I've ran in halogen reflectors do throw more light in a wider pattern than halogens. For offroad use, I like that ambient light. On road......you'd blind everybody else on the road.