Headed for delta with Hoss

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Headed out to the delta today with the 29 Hoss that was at the TN rally, running it on the 03-280 fully loaded. Will report back on how she does, when I get back on Sunday.

This is the prop (not a copy, but the same actual prop) that a bunch of guys tried to buy off Dave Bostic. Some of them were running Hydrostreams.

J

John Richied

This is the prop (not a copy, but the same actual prop) that a bunch of guys tried to buy off Dave Bostic. Some of them were running Hydrostreams
Lou, you have all the high-performance gurus catering to you… You dawg :p

If you get a chance to run your XB-03 light loaded with that prop please log some numbers and run the Titus case set up the same way… I am really interested in some feedback on the Titus Sportmaster modification.

I’m going to have to have some repairs made to my Sportmaster soon and need to know.

Froggy,

XR-2001 Race boat + 200 gearcase/1.87 gears + 29 pitch Hoss + 8600 Rpm’s = 120 mph!!!

Lou doesn’t have the balls to run a 29 pitch W.O.T. on his race boat… LOL :arrow: But then who does?

froggy

John,

That particular prop accelerates like a 25 pitch when its run on a light rig. I ran it on one of the Hydrostreams, while at the rally, and it was stunning! The darn rig ran to the 7750 limiter so fast it hit the limiter like a sledge hammer.

froggy

J

John Richied

This 29 Hoss sounds like one sweet prop. Is this one a Hyperdrive or Triton?

Does it run like a true 29 pitch on the top end… 7750 Rpm’s = around 107-108 mph?

froggy

John,

The prop is a 29 pitch X 14.25", four bladed WASP. It ran more like a 28 pitch since I could only get 103 mph; however, I was not keeping the rig strung out very long. The prop felt like I could have found another 2-3 mph, with patience and a long straightaway. As I said, the low end and full mid range were stunning, on the stream, and if I were to own a boat like that, it would be my full-time prop!

froggy

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well it was stunning allright!! I can't give it a light load review since the boat was "weekend weighted" with the kitchen sink and the whole family again, so no top end numbers yet.

But as for the holeshot and driveability, it was a dream. I've never driven a 4-blade prop that had this combination of smoothness and low steering torque. I was running 1/2" below the pad and the boat truly felt like it was being run by an electric motor.

There was NO vibration in the boat whatsoever; it was unreal. And the lack of torque was almost spooky...at speeds over 70 you could take your hands off the wheel and just hold the boat straight with a slight touch of your knee on the wheel.

You know, looking at this prop off the boat, you begin to see radical differences in propeller making styles. Some companies wheels look like they are surgical steel, cut in a CNC mill or otherwise so flawless in reflection they could have turned up at Roswell. Other companies props are more "old school"; not that they are crude or in any way inferior to the "computer generated" ones. Quite the contrary--the years of the experience of their makers show in subtle asymmetries and the more handmade appearance and affect.

This prop is of the latter breed, and whatever it's got built into it makes it a winner. Bow lift was outstanding for the load I was carrying, and although I only ventured into the 80's for a brief period, it was obvious that this wheel screamed for some weight out of the boat to really strut its stuff.

But did I mention how SMOOTH it was, even WITH all that weight?

This thing will ROCK on the XR...but Pinkie is right....I don't have the nads to string it out on that thing... :lol:

I will give it to XXXrunninYYY. He will GIT 'R DUN :shock:

PS I forgot to mention that this was with my stock sportmaster case. I haven't gotten the Titus 200 case back yet.

GotMyAlly

Is this the Hoss Triton version III?

Is the prop still in the testing stages, or are they available for sale? How deep of a hole is it gonna leave in my wallet?

GPI Racing

The prop Lou tested is a 4 blade version of the Wasp blade profile. They are avalible and for a fully tuned,cryoed version they are a little over $900. The cryo keep the blades from forming stess risers or cracks. Adds to the cost but keeps your investment from having a short life. I've never cracked a cryoed prop yet.

Randy

GotMyAlly

I didn't realize he was testing a Wasp. I thought he was running a version of the Triton, which would probably better suit my needs. Gotta have some load carrying ability.

GPI Racing

It is only based on the profile of the Wasp. It was designed for carring loads and the XB2003 needs. It just turned out to be faster than anything so far. Sometimes experiments give different results than the original target. The prop Lou ran has gone as fast as 108 while at the Ally 50th. We ran it on a wide group of pad Vs from Triads to Allys to Hydro Venoms. Heavy boats and some light, whatever it was on pretty much ran better and the blade works for whatever reason. On some boats (the lighter ones) the extra blade area should have killed the top end but it ran away from most of the props the owners had. It DIDN'T like my STV tunnel but on the Vs it carried the boat so good I think you could "drive" it to higher speeds than previously attainable.

Randy

J

John Richied

Lou, If ya bought that WASP Killer I’d like to give it a run next May at the W.A.R.

Be careful runnin the 03 light with that test prop… Waiting to hear the numbers…

J

John Richied

Randy, I have a favorite 28 Lightning Et prop and Yamaha Drag prop. Would Cryo treating these props since they are now used still help to preserve them and how much is it to Cryo treat a prop?

GPI Racing

John,

It does help preserve the prop even if it's used or a few years old. The rubber hub (in the drag prop) will have to be removed and replaced though. It can't handle the temp without damage. The local guy here charges me $10 per pound (less if I bring lots of them at a time). I haven't cracked a Yammy prop since we started doing this. Couple of years ago when we started doing pistons,rods, cranks and the like the results were so good I figured the props couldn't hurt. Found out later lots of top prop guys were doing it too.

Randy

J

John Richied

I did a little searching on this Cryo treating parts and it looks like they have Cryo treated everything from softball bats, brake rotors, engine components, and props since like 1996.

Cryo treating my 28 ET sounds like a good idea.

How about Cryo treating a Sportmaster gearcase (empty) the propshaft and the gears? Anyone ever do this?

I know it sounds a little extreme but this Cryo treating process looks like it is proven and a lot of racers have been using this process on high-performance parts for quite a while. And the affects of the Cryo treated parts giving them up to double the life.

B

BP

If the cryo process is good enough for Walt Disney's head, it should be good enough for props and pistons.