Hello everyone!

Gary Hair

Probationary User
I'm Gary and I have truly enjoyed reading many of the topics in the Allison Owners forum. A little about myself. I live in Chapin SC on Lake Murray. Since I was 4 years old and have owned and been around boats from power to sail. I love them all! I must start with a quick story about my first set up for speed. It started when I was 12 years old and I had a 12 ft John boat with a 3hp Evinrude. My friend had the exact same boat so I put both 3hp Evinrudes on one boat thinking it would go faster. It didn't, in fact we swamped the boat. At age 20, I purchased a V1600 Baja. It was rated for a 95 horsepower and in 1973 I bought the first 150 hp Mercury in SC . After two months of 50mph and major chine walking I was told that the engine was too low and the cavitation plate should be even with the pad. After taking the measurements, I had a welder make a "jack plate" out of aircraft steel. What a difference. I ran a 27" cleaver and top hull speed was 78mph. at 6,800 rpms. I ran double oil in the engine and never once had any trouble with that Mercury. Yes I still had to saw on the wheel and use some of the "trailer" trim (top two buttons) but it became second nature. No blow outs but I learned very quickly that when letting the hull down too quickly what a half turn hull hook at high speed was all about. In the day, this was the fastest outboard on Lake Murray for a couple of years. During that time, I wanted an Allison so bad but could not afford one. Fast forward to today. I'm retired and 70 years old and want to re-create my younger youth. From all I have read, I think I want to find an Allison GSE with a 225hp. I would be happy with a final set up that would yield a safe 75-80 mph speed. Maybe a 150hp will do the job. One last thing about my past experience you might find interesting. I became a Driver Diver for the NHAB Drag Boat Association and traveled all around the country during the season rescuing the drivers that went swimming, 270mph in 3 seconds for the blown fuel boats. Never lost a driver during my watch. I became personal friends with Eddie Hill when he piloted the Texan and held many speed records. I'm currently taking care of my 102 year old Father but I would like to start the shopping process for GSE in great condition. Not looking for a project boat.

One other note, Reggie Fountain, founder of Fountain boats once told me the Allison 21 was his inspiration for the first successful Fountain and incorporated the best technology and hull design he had ever seen or driven. Now that's quite an endorsement for an Allison.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to ramble on.

I Look forward to reading about all of you members experiences and advice.

Gary