Hello!

G Allen

Hi crew, greetings from Utah...self introduction...

Have been fishing all my life. I make my living as a ski instructor at Park City Mountain Resort in Utah. Have tons of solo backpacking experiences in the Sierras, High Uintas, and Wind River Range. I know where the 4 pound trout live. Learned how to catch Kokes in the local reservoirs this summer.

My interest in Allison boats has gone on for a long time, ever since watching the outboard drag boats on TV. Have been watching this forum as a lurker for about a year. It is interesting to read about the golden age of high performance outboards...kinda reminds me of the golden times of vacuum tube amplifiers for HIFI and musical instrument stage use. I play classic country band and have a vintage vacuum tube amp collection like some of you collect special motors and boats. Lots of similarities! Vintage tubes sound better than the new ones,, and they aren't being made any more. I collected a few hundred, they have gone up in value like most of my Heritage electric guitars have, I buy well.

I'm really happy with the boat I have now, even though it is 33 years old, it is great to fish out of. It is an old Bayliner bass boat with a Force engine that I inherited from my father, a ton of memories with that one. It's fairly economical to operate, except that I run Blue Marble oil and Ring Free in the gas, ($$$), but when I want I can wipe the surface gap plugs right down to clean metal with just the hem of my t-shirt. Looking through the spark plug holes on the original 85 powerhead from years of running blue marble oil, looking through the plug hole you can see bright shiny metal on the top of the pistons instead of a thick layer of carbon...costs more to use good oil and yet cheaper than cheap oil and replacing a motor gone away before its time. I won't sell or junk it until the motor pukes, and it just keeps on purrin...Stuck a 125 powerhead on the 85 gearcase/gear set, so had a higher pitch prop made. All good. Similar gas economy as the smaller powerhead and a few mph more top speed, but still sluglike compared to what is found here.

That boat is kinda small these days at 17 feet, the pig boats (wake board and especially wake surf boats) that have become common today wreak havoc on the local reservoir fishermen from their huge wakes. So I am casually in the market for something bigger, faster, still economical to operate and better in chop. I might end up with a walleye boat, like most of the fishermen here in Utah gave gone to. Bass boats have become less popular here. There are needs to make effective trolling as well as casting capabilities happen on the same boat here because of the variety of great gamefish in the same lake. Sunfish, Salmonid and Char species sometimes all share the same water in my area, an example is Flaming Gorge reservoir. Folks will get a limit of Kokes (3) and then go on the target 50 pound Macks or go toos plastics for smallies later on in the same day. Lure presentations go from surface to over 100 feet deep. Or in my fave backyard lake, Strawberry Reservoir, I might troll for kokes early and then grab a spinning rod and toss plastic crawdads for big cutts and 'bows, "bass fishing" for big trout.

As I get closer to retirement age, I would like to have a fishin' hot rod...hence I'm here. Dunno if I will end up with an Allie but the prospect sure looks interesting. Rather than an ultra tuned drag boat motor, I prefer something that will be more reliable in the power department for the 100 plus mile long reservoirs in our state... reliablility and long legs are more important than the speed. So am keeping tabs on the re-power threads. I am a careful, well informed buyer. On ebay I have done over 750 transactions as a buyer with 100% positive feedback, mainly for my tube, guitar, and amp collecting. Allt he best to those here!

BigRWater

Welcome!

I am a fellow Tube Amp, & Vintage guitar collector.

I fish weekly, year round (rain, temp doesn't matter, wind & snow barely matters, ice matters a bit more).

Your right, people are buying Walleye boats. Those boats seem to leave the river early as conditions are less optimal.
I friend with a nice new Skeeter 21 foot Walleye boat, he leaves the river early.

I fish out of a 20 foot bass boat. My nephew has entered us in a 2 day Walleye tournament that starts tomorrow. We will be going into a 20 mph wind blow in the Columbia River gorge (has a Venturi type effect). It gets sporty out there. But that bass boat gets in there and runs it with the best of them.

When we get to the fishing spot, that bass boat handles better than any Walleye boat in the wind.

One possible good thing, these Walleye boat sales are bringing down the price of nice used bass boats.

G Allen

Thank you! Great to hear about your fishing tenacity! Since starting up here I have done a ton of reading... the red book, other forums, watching vids, fun stuff is learning about all the cool parts for the hot Mercs, lower units and prop stuff, and setups, and trying to learn how to avoid killing myself on any first rides. Am getting closer to trigger pulling time...

dubmoney

I am looking for a 100 watt Marshall Head. I started my son on guitar, now he is the autority and I am just supporting him and living vicariously through his ability to play. I am sure I could learn a lot from you, that would help me make an informed purchase. He wants a JCM 800 2205. Are there people who can repair those if I buy one off ebay and it craps out? Welcome to the Allison Family. I check this page almost every day so feel free to shoot Allison, or motor questions. Allisons and Mercury take about 98% of my thought time. lol.

whipper

Welcome ! am also a ski instructor and freestyle ski coach in northern BC. One things for sure buying an Allison before retirement is the best choice you will make in boats as they also will last a life time with ZERO rot!! Greatest boats of all time for what they do and probably could never be duplicated!! Dont know to many that have ever sold theirs thinking it was better on the other side that didn't miss theirs or rebought. ;)

BigRWater

I am looking for a 100 watt Marshall Head. ...a JCM 800 2205. Are there people who can repair those if I buy one off ebay and it craps out?
Your son has great taste in amplifiers.

Marshall's jcm 800s, (jcm 900s) are "it" for many... Will never go out of style. Once you start that Marshall amp thing, there is a chance that you will always chase it. I gave my JCM 800 to my oldest son & a different Marshall model to my youngest son. 'And I quit going to eBay.

The Marshall your son desires, (and many other Marshall models) is a bit like a Mercury 2.5, it can be repaired, customized, with some NOS parts and plenty of aftermarket parts for equivalent and up-grades etc.

There are Marshall guys where you live... ...repair & beyond in your back yard.
Like Merc guys, these Marshall (guru) guys have may have strong opinions. It is a journey, I tend to go with their advice, especially if it is reversible.
I tend to find that guitar and amp enthusiasts, are also usually into either cool cars, motorcycles, or boats etc.

A guy with your kind of Mercury/Allison knowledge, can probably find a Marshall expert that could use the kind of Mercury knowledge & experience you have accumulated.

Marshall amps, need your TLC, but are nothing but fun & inspiring, like a great 2,5 Merc!

Good luck.

Last edited:

G Allen

dubmoney, sent you a PM on the amp thang. Thanks for reaching out!

BigRwater, you are right about Marshall guys having strong opinions. Many are wasting their time and money working on poorly laid out, flimsy printed circuit boards IMO. The best Marshall builds and tones that are easily available today don't come from England. They come from Maylaysia.

Ceriatone's boutique Marshall circuits are better built than the originals by far, it's not even close. These are the modded circuits used by the big recording names, not the stocker circuits, there are the tricked out ones that ruled the recording industry. They do up great Dumble clones, Friedman Brown Eye they do, Hiwatts, you name it and the iron and parts are top shelf, period. The more you know how they are made the easier it is to see when looking at a gut shot, and the tones bear that out too. I prefer the musicality of my 90's Harry Joyce and 70's Hiwatt amps to the Marshall circuits, except my Siegmund Midnight Blues Breaker. a JTM 45 circuit massaged a bit and done up with custom iron and military paper in oil tone capacitors.

So the same kind of thinking that led me to learn about the ins and outs of boutique guitars and vintage tube amps is now learning about Allisons, Bullets, Strokers, and Mercurys. And just like the boutique handmade guitar amps I collect and sometimes repair, there is also a tenacious boutique cottage industry here in the USA dedicated to these boats and motors. It's fun reading and learning!

It is awesome to know that there are professional snow ski teachers and coaches that own Allisons! I am surprised and pleased! Thanks for your words!

BigRWater

Wow! G Allen! Sounds like Amp Heaven is at your house in Utah!

"my 90's Harry Joyce and 70's Hiwatt amps to the Marshall circuits, except my Siegmund Midnight Blues Breaker. a JTM 45 circuit massaged a bit and done up with custom iron and military paper in oil tone capacitors. "

Though it appears my amp collection is very different from yours, I don't disagree with anything you have said. I would love to play through every amplifier you mentioned. Great focus also.

I want you to work on my amps...

My goodness...

G Allen

I'll bet MONEY you have some great gear to play through, sir. Not completely buying your humble line, ha! Bet you have some mad playing skills. I do enjoy having a decent guitar and amp harem.... It's like owning my own house full of high class hookers. They take a lot of money and they do most of the time try to give me my money's worth. And some of them got way more valuable over time.