Help JimmyB ????????

NCLakeman

Jimmy I had my motor rebuilt. I have run 2 gallons of mercury oil thru my 260. The first 40 gallons of gas and 25% mixed oil was between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm. The last 10 gallons was between 4,000 and 6.250 rpms. The builder of the motor raised the enrichment from 96 to 103 in the CPU during breakin. Now he adjusted the enrichment back to where it was before the rebuild. Now what should I do about the oil to gas ratio? What are your recondmindations for break in. I usually use pensoil synthitic. Do I mix a few tank with the pensoil at 25% mix or go to 32%? Not sure what to do. let me know please. I wait for the gods to answer.

Thanks
Richard

J

John Richied

If I were in your position I would run 3 or more gallons of the Merc premium plus in your new engine at 32:1… before switching to 100% synthetic TCW III oil.

I ain’t Jimmy, and I ain’t no god… it’s just my opinion since switching to a 100% synthetic oil too early during break-in can only hurt the procedure.

jimmyb

honestly, i would follow your rebuilder's advice. I have no idea what components your rebuilder used on your motor... IF he used all mercury stuff and all your bores are nikasil, then i am going to tell you to run merc performance blend oil... the reason? because i KNOW it works.

my oil mantra is always this: run what the manufacturer recommends because that is what the motor was developed/tested with. Other oils might work and other oils might work better and other oils might lubricate less... but the manufacturer oil will work period.

ALLISONMAN

richard dont use that penzoil crap!!! buy you some good oil and save yourself in the long run!!! I would at a min. use merc performance blend and i personally run klotz at 50:1 for lake riding!!! I had 168 hours on my 280 before i put pistons in and the rings, cylinders, bearings, all looked great and everything was in spec. !!!!!!!! the only reason for the change was the worry of the side pinned pistons!!!!! good luck with ya new motor and hope to see ya around!!!!!!!

NCLakeman

Oil???

Jimmy the motor is all Mercury and is nicasil. So breakin should be the same as the what mercury suggests. I am not great with oils. I do know that when I used synthitic it in my lower unit it did not last a hole season. I will not use it again. I put the high dollar mercury oil in it now.