Hey Admin's....

Allyfishing

Do you want new members here or not??

I don't get over on S&F much lately but I stopped by there today to see what's shaking and in the general boating forum there's a post where guys have been complaining they've signed up and have not heard anything in months.

Just trying to help.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Craig, I talked to Lou about this at the Rally a couple years ago. Due to the number of hackers, spammers, other evil doers he will not permit the free email accounts like Juno, Hotmail, etc. to get through. He spends quite a bit of time filtering out all the crap to keep the website garbage free.

(Lou, I hope I didn't speak out of turn.)

Allyfishing

That's understandable Dave. But can't the guys trying to sign up get some kind of notification from an admin regarding that policy? And ask them to sign up with a legit email carrier? What I've read is they get no response at all.

Allyfishing

Here's a response to the statement of using a legit email address that I copied and pasted from S&F:

"Using my work address and received a confirmation email, which states I will be activated in 24 hours. However, it has been months of waiting and sending messages to the administrator. Still cannot get activated. Ugh. "

catfish123

Not picking on anyone, but I believe there is very little participation on this board by those that have the authority to control these types of issues.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Didn't you get the memo?

We don't need any new members. We're a cliquish group of a-types and too stuck up.

There are 3 other admins/supermods on this board besides me who have the power to admit and inspect new applicants.

We get several hundred per day. Most turn out to be bots and worms.

So tell you critics what: Volunteer for position of being totally in charge of accepting/rejecting new applicants and the highly paying job is yours.

Expect it to consume 1-3 hours per day.

And expect to get hate mail when an unsupported email type can't register (not my call whatsoever-it's a Vbulletin
board thing.)

Any takers?

Last edited:

catfish123

Sorry if I personally offended anyone as I had no intention of doing that. Some opinions are probably just best kept to oneself.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
It's all good Bob, I just get very frustrated because there is really no fast and easy way to weed out the legit applicants from the weasels etc. You have to click on each one and read a bunch of stuff and it takes time. However, some are dead meat immediately--ones that have an email suffix of .ru and .pl.

Years ago, this board got hijacked by one of them and let me tell ya...NOT an easy fix and a nightmare.

I just went through this list (110 today) and accepted a bunch of folks.

We make Allisons look easy to drive. Put those that think so behind the wheel.....it's the same with admin tasks...I think you get it. ;)

Last edited:

SLOmofo

Didn't you get the memo?

We don't need any new members. We're a cliquish group of a-types and too stuck up.

There are 3 other admins/supermods on this board besides me who have the power to admit and inspect new applicants.

We get several hundred per day. Most turn out to be bots and worms.

So tell you critics what: Volunteer for position of being totally in charge of accepting/rejecting new applicants and the highly paying job is yours.

Expect it to consume 1-3 hours per day.

And expect to get hate mail when an unsupported email type can't register (not my call whatsoever-it's a Vbulletin
board thing.)

Any takers?
I volunteer Bob ! he's retarded/retired (pick one)(both work)

catfish123

Thanks Gary for the vote of confidence............I know I can always count on you.................LOL

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm trying to be proactive on this issue. A few of the moderators have expressed they will help sort the newbies and I'm fixin to set them up to help out too.

Then on the other hand, you got Facebook. There's a really cool group there called "Allison Ultra Performance Boats" that I do believe Jeff Williamson (aka "Yammer") set up initially and I'm seeing more and more of our people posting on there, including me. Facebook makes it so easy to post pictures, videos, etc., unlike Vbulletin here, that it seems a natural consequence for it to gain momentum.

Dave Hensley

Thanks Lou. I enjoy this board and contribute very little to it making it work. It has staled/stalled a bit lately and think new blood will help. Let me know if I can do anything to help out. I want to see it grow. Don't let the Facebook page takeover. Lots of us old guys really like this forum.

catfish123

3rd this............." Don't let the Facebook page takeover. Lots of us old guys really like this forum. "

hirk

I know who yammer is (I live 10 miles from him) but have never seen a fb page with him posting? I searched using allison ultra performance facebook and all I got was the allison boats hunting and fishing louisville kentucky page, is that the page your refering to? I have seen some guys from here post on that page. Anyway this forum is 100 times more informational than the fb page I've seen, the knowlege here is priceless.

fnshrmaster

I know who yammer is (I live 10 miles from him) but have never seen a fb page with him posting? I searched using allison ultra performance facebook and all I got was the allison boats hunting and fishing louisville kentucky page, is that the page your refering to? I have seen some guys from here post on that page. Anyway this forum is 100 times more informational than the fb page I've seen, the knowlege here is priceless.
FB is Allison Ultra High Performance Boats. Its OK but the information available here along with great people is priceless.