Holding Your Balls In (Volleyballs)

Westy

What do you guys use to hold the volleyballs inside the jackplate? The jackplate on my XB03 is open on the top and bottom and I would like to put some volleyballs in there.

Westy

xb03fs

nothing, however my jackplate has a splashplate on the bottom...deflate put two in , inflate, then inflate the top two.......

SLOmofo

I made an aluminum lid for the top, attached it to the jack plate. On the bottom or really the back I covered the aera between the back of the jack plate and the top of the skid plate with another aluminum plate.

When I was in High School we held our balls with a jock strap. Now our wife's hold them in a lock box!

john4utvols

Go to wallyworld and get one of the big balls in the kids toy area, they work and cost less. Only takes one. No need for top cover not unless you want one for looks.

jas638

Banned
i put two red rubber dodge balls in mine. got them at modells. 5$ each. they worked great but they got dry rot real quick. lasted maybe three weeks. gonna try baskett balls next. i wanna use something that wont get waterlogged ,like a soccor or volleyball. i run in salt water and dont want the balls bleedin it off after i get home. i wanna find red and black basket balls. maybe like the chicago bulls colors? :big grin match the boat is a must!

Bobalouie

I have 2 basketballs in mine, and they fit my 10" plate pretty good. Like others, I have a skidplate at the bottom that they cant squeeze out of, and they dont move up after inflated.

SLOmofo

I rather not have my balls exposed, thats why I cover them.

Actually I don't have any balls, I use foam insulation and cut it to fit. That and the fact there is a trim ram inside the jack plate.
What we OMCease guys have to do for a fast trim! The ram is about 1/4" away from the transom.
Theres foam below the trim ram and the ride plate.

Attachments

Darth VMAX

Do they really make that big of a difference? Does it just help at rest to keep the stern up? I have to be honest, I have a light XB2002 and probably the heaviest Carb small-block 2-stroke ever made @ 420ish lbs (the TRP L/U is heavy with the weight of 2 props). A 10" CMC Hyd plate and I guess I never have really thought I needed balls in the plate.

It sits pretty good (rub rail is a few inches above the waterline). Sure if I step back there to mess with the motor or swimmers are climbing up the swim steps the rubrail will get submereged, but I don't see the balls stopping that.

jimmyb

ditch the basketballs...

buy styrofoam insulation (pink or blue stuff) cut into squares to fit snug into the jackplate. Add a top plate to cover everything up. It will last for years and add more significant floatation than just a ball or two! I cubic foot of insulation shoved in the plate will give you about 64# of floation

Darth VMAX

look what the cat dragged in :)

How ya been? Still got your 21' Bullet? heard your running a 250 Vmax SHO now! haha

GotMyAlly

Do they really make that big of a difference? Does it just help at rest to keep the stern up? I have to be honest, I have a light XB2002 and probably the heaviest Carb small-block 2-stroke ever made @ 420ish lbs (the TRP L/U is heavy with the weight of 2 props). A 10" CMC Hyd plate and I guess I never have really thought I needed balls in the plate.

It sits pretty good (rub rail is a few inches above the waterline). Sure if I step back there to mess with the motor or swimmers are climbing up the swim steps the rubrail will get submereged, but I don't see the balls stopping that.

On my XB03, a kickball in the JP made the back float 1" higher than without in any given condition.

jimmyb

look what the cat dragged in :)

How ya been? Still got your 21' Bullet? heard your running a 250 Vmax SHO now! haha
yes, i still have the Bullet 21xdc, it has been serving me well. I would love to get an Allison again, but it would have to be the 21' and it would have to have a clear cut capacity plate in order for me to do my tourney fishing from it. I could not go back to fishing out of a 20' allison in the tournaments i am fishing now (due to capacity plate and the BIG offshore water that i am fishing now).

No SHO, as i enjoy getting back to the weigh ins. Ask Alton Jones, who killed is AOY chances on the ark river because he got stranded.

Darth VMAX

If he would have caught more fish it wouldn't have mattered! ;-)

Yeah, he should stuck with an HPDI. Good to see your still around. So Even a XB21 with a 225 you couldn't fish your trail? Is it an anti-Allison trail?

jimmyb

for my tournaments, i need a clearly defined capacity plate. So if it had a plate saying 225 and ran a 225, that would be fine. I cant have the bogus "manufacturer recommends 150, but boat is over 20' so it isnt rated by USCG", if want to run anything over a 150!

GotMyAlly

There are 2 plate options for a XB21. One of them clearly says the boat is rated for a 225. The other says for maximum efficiency and safety the manufacturer recommends 200, or something along those lines.