hole shot on chopper sucks

Bill Kemp

i have bought a 26p a5 chopper thats been worked the person a bought it from said it is a hoss copy. tryed it today and it takes about a 100 feet to plane off with a ton of rpm i trying on a yamaha with 1.80 gears on a xb02 hull is there something that i can change to fix the hole shot my 27 trophy will leap out of the hole and plane off in less than two boat lenght's

GotMyAlly

STrange. I've seen exactly the opposite results. Chopper style was faster out of the hole and faster on the top end than a trophy. If you're turning a lot of RPM comiing out of the hole, that chopper may need to be worked to grip better...I'm no prop expert but I'd think maybe more cup would help keep it hooked up better.

Bill Kemp

should i relief the exhaust with some hole in the mid so there wont be so much of it getting to the prop causing it to slip. the fellow i got the prop from said it ran 85 on a bumble bee with a 260 merc. it has been worked on i do not know who did it but it has had the blades shorten the prop is only 13 and 3/4 inch in dia. and has been cupped i was told it is a hoss copy.

froggy

1bad67,

All the Hoss props, made today, are 14.5" diameter. The early Tritons were 14" diameter. It might not hurt to drill your mid section, but don't do it just for your holeshot. I got a tremendous hole shot, with a 28 pitch, big ear chopper on my 1985 XTB-21 and all I had for power was a box stock 1985, 2.4 liter, 200 hp engine. The chopper wasn't good until I had the leading edge rolled.

froggy

David P

You said this prop has been worked. I would try lowering it a bit.
It may have been loosened up to get more RPM'S, and don't
bite as good.

hack02

There are so many people that butcher a good chopper and call it a so and so cut it is unbelieveable. A Hoss has a completely different profile and rake from a chopper. An entirely different design.

etnprop

a chopper can be made to come out of the hole pretty good with just a little work as mentioned here - bring it to me if you are in east tennessee and I'll look at it... a lot cheaper than selling it and starting over. Joe

Bill Kemp

thanks for the info fellows but sence the prop blades have been cut down so much i'm going to get rid of this one and get another one. i learned one thing ask more questions and get more pic. before buying.

thanks

J

John Richied

Bingo on that one! If they say the prop has been worked you want to know who did it and what was done.

If the prop is stock you know what to expect if it’s in the condition they say and has never been repaired. If it’s been worked and they are sure it’s that great a prop have them send it to you to try, then decide. If they won’t do that, then don’t chance it.