Holeshot

tomoad

on a xb 2002 , using either a 28 hoss triton, 28 ally cut chopper or in which i have now a 28 et, which you all think would give a better hole shot, the 28 et on my boat is okay on holeshot, but i beleive it could be better. thinking about trading it for a mint ally cut chopper, i will have to try, but no one i know has a 28 hoss triton. Years ago i had a 26 hoss triton on a real slower boat and brand, but it would scream out of the hole. Just curious, If they all would be about the same, I have a mint 26 chopper with the weed cutter cut off, and more or less has what i call double cupping on the end of the blades, it comes out of the hole ok but not to impressive, I'm also going to try a 26 trophy. just curious about hole shot using a hoss triton,

fishnfireman

A lot will depend on how Dave bent that Hoss prop.
Get some numbers and call him. If it does not do like you wish chances are he can rework it to do better.

If you are looking for holeshot try a drag 4.
I have a 28 that will flat hook up!

SSTOM

If you don't have a skid plate on the bottom of your jackplate try one of them they will help the hole shot greatly. JMO Tom

badbait

Tom I have a 28 Hoss that Dave at Hoss built for a light weight boat and it has one hell of a hole shot.

pickwickangler

My 28 drag4 spins very little out of the hole.It will spin up to about 3500 when the bow breaks but it hooks up very quik.I also have a skid plate so it may be helping me.Mine is hubbed for a standard shaft merc.If anybody wants to try it out yall are more than welcome.It is for sale but I want somebody to run it and be happy with it,instead of buying something they regret.

tomoad

well I try a 28 drag 4 today, and i have finally found what i was looking for. Killer holeshot & midrange punch as well . I also tried a 28 allison cut chopper, But out of the hole the drag 4 is awsome. I will own one of these props eventually. I still don't have a skidplate yet but working on it.

BigRedAlli

I think some under estimate the Drag IV, or more people would be running them...On my 2003, it holeshots way beter than a 27 Trophy,out accelerates it ,and about the same top end (maybe better). Plus i don't hear of them slinging blades...
Glad you found something you like. Are you comming to the Rally? You should try to make it, their will be plenty of props to try...
Marty...

jaybluez

Red, I have a 27 trophy and the holeshot sux! It takes a good 4 or 5 seconds before she decides to start cavitating. Now I don't have an exhaust muffler to shoot the exhaust directly out the foot. Also I have two 1/2" holes drilled on each side of the lower unit right where it meets the mid section. I have plugged the holes but have not yet tried it out to see if it made a difference. I have the PVS plugs out of the prop. Do you think if I have slits cut in the prop on the hub (as the yamaha pro series) would help me out?

BigRedAlli

Jay, I agree on the holeshot with the trophy.Never could get mine just right.Tried different plugs and combination of plugs and it either bogged bad or slipped to much, then when it hooked up, it would jar your teeth loose...I think i've got the same problem as you, too much exh. relief... :lol: Don't know if the slots will help or not.
Marty...

tomoad

I think I'm going to order a 26 in the drag 4, If later on i find I need a 28 maybe i can trade with someone

B

BP

tomoad said:
I think I'm going to order a 26 in the drag 4
I really like how four bladers track through the snotty water and would be interested to hear your feedbackon it.
Trophies don't do it for me :roll: and I'd like to find a good alternative.

jaybluez

Thanks red for the reply. Have you run the drag 4 w/ a tournament load? That is how I run my XB02 always and I like the way the trophy handles when running but I'm not happy w/ the holeshot. I also have a 26 chopper thats been cut and a 30 triton 1 and these are OK as far as holeshot goes but they don't carry the boat very well.

B

BP

I did purchase a 28 T4X, and ran in on my XB-03. It did not like weight (little bow lift ability), but was good flat runner without a load and the fourth blade made it nice in rough water. Think of it as more a 4 blade cleaver as it shared most cleaver attributes. It might be ok on a lighter XB02, but it was sold when I went to a fat shaft lower.

BigRedAlli

1bad67, I think Dark Allison has tried one.He's tried about everything.Send him a PM...

Jay, TOURNAMENT LOAD ??? :? :lol: sorry, I bought the 2003 to be more stable while fish'in...Problem is,i haven't even had water in the livewell since i've owned it. (2 years now) :oops: I always have the wife,cooler,and light tackle though...Don't know if that's close to a 2002 w/tournament load...

Tomoad, Billy is bringing a 26p to the Rally... :wink:
Marty...

tomoad

Yesterday when I had the 28 drag 4,it was tournament loaded. excellent holeshot, Carried the bow good. Could'nt run WOT lake white capping. but ran 60 mph very comfortable.

already ordered the prop from Glen Renyolds Racing today, Thats how much i was impressed with the prop. It works for my boat