How much of a P.I.T.A is it...

Luketrician

To recarpet an Ally? I was about to pull the trigger and order new carpet and was wondering how many cuss words and beers will it take me to get it done?

Thanks in advance:smile:beer:

JR

The carpet pulls up easily and the glue not as easy. I just had to reglue mine where my feet wedge me into the driver's seat. I used the Home Depot Robert's marine duty glue. I applied it to both surfaces and it is very slow drying, but tough.

pickwickangler

Its about a day and a half of work. Hardest part is dealing with compartment lids. You have to drill out the rivets to get em off and its kinda time consuming getting the carpet cut around em. The glue aint no problem, you really need a DA sander handy to do this project. A DA with some 60 grit will knock all the glue off the entire boat in about 30 min.

boataddict

should not be a problem.carpet kit 299...contact cement 1 gal.... and a scraper to get most of the old glue(jmho,does not have to be perfectly clean).....paint brush... should be no need to remove the lids...
i glue in small sections,brush it on the decks and a little on the backing of the carpet and lay it down and pick it back up a couple times to let it get tacky.should be good to go...

J

John Richied

Is there anything that would soften the old glue and not eat the gel so the old glue could be removed without scraping up the deck?

pickwickangler

Not that I know of, that glue is sumpin else....specially on the luminum lids. The way I saw it was glue = weight and dat stuff was comin out :laughing. You could most likely DA it with some lighter paper and it wouldnt hurt the gel unless you just sat on one spot for a while. I actually buffed my deck out after the (by then slicked over) 60 grit and it took out most of the scratches but it was way to slick to not carpet :smile

GFinch

For some reason Mineral Oil comes to mind. I think I read it on S+f or ByUBoyz.

Of course I suffer from Sometimers too.

BigRedAlli

If you decide to put the peice in under the front deck, make sure you use a fan or better yet, a respirator...That glue will make you goofey for a while!!! :shock:

Bill Kemp

when i recarpeted my boat todd at allison told me to use lacquer thinner just poor it onto the old carpet and let it set a minute or two and it will lift right up then poor some more on the the area and wipe the glue off. it worked just like he said very ease but it does take alot of rags. the lacquer thinner will not damage the gel but i would recommend a wax job after you get done the thinner removes all waxs everywhere it touchs also protect any painted areas like the trailer or the paint will be gone. doing it the way todd said took 8hrs to strip the boat and install the new carpet on a xb2002

B HEBERT

Just finishing up my 2003 now. Have to put the moulding on the lids and reattach the lids. The old carpet came right up. My carpet man said I did not need to remove all the old glue. The new glue would reactivate it and it would help hold down the new carpet. Had to get the old carpet backing off the old glue. Used a wire wheel on a grinder and it came right up. Get the carpet from Allison. It fit perfect. When I pulled the carpet up, there was a black line about 4 inches wide painted on the floor near the seats. Couldn't figure out what it was for. As soon as I glued down the new carpet it was obvious. It covers the white deck where the carpet meets.

Luketrician

Thanks for all the helpfull advice everyone. I've never delt with rivets before so can a novice(me), drill the rivets and install new ones ok?

I like the laquer thinner method, just have to keep the shop fans on WFO to save what brain cells I gots.

Oh and I think at this time I'll leave the carpet under the front deck. Outta sight outta mind! :smile

David Lanham

I used Acetone to remove the glue residue, seemed to work okay. Big job though, especially under the front noose.

Also, seems like you have to let the carpet adhesive tack up for 10 minutes or longer before you lay the carpet down. Otherwise the adhesive will never cure and the carpet will come up.

pickwickangler

I've never delt with rivets before so can a novice(me), drill the rivets and install new ones ok?
You just drill the old ones out and replace em with bolts and lock nuts. Pretty simple but can be a little tricky on the deck compartment.

froggy

I just pulled the old carpet out---that was the easy part. Next, I used a, razor blade, scraper and cleaned 95% of the old adhesive and carpet backing off. I used acetone to remove the last 5% of the adhesive.

The gel coat, under the carpet, is as pretty as the exposed gel coat on the boat---made me want to leave the new carpet off.

I used exterior, latex, carpet adhesive for all the deck carpet but had to use 3M Trim Adhesive for the lids since getting the edges to stick was problematic.

Major PITA but worth every moment.

froggy

froggy

Aqua,

It cost the better part of a $300 bill for all carpet except that under the front deck (under front deck stuff gets no wear). The carpet, that is surged is a great fit - the lid carpet has to be fitted by you but it's cut generously.

froggy

FLYING BUTCHER

Just finished mine and it was a helleva lot of work!!! Bill at Allison said "get a couple gallons of laquer thinner and a gallon of glue??? used 3 1/2 gallons of thinner and 2 gallons of glue!! front deck came off easy but carpet around the seating area had a ton of glue on it what a mess!! Anyone hear me cussin?? Had to put the lid locks all back together (after I figured out where the spring goes)!! What made it all better is it sure made the boat look like NEW again!! Two and a half long days. It takes two guys to put new in some places. I was surprised that the carpet kit that came from Allison wasn't nearly as thick as I had hoped. It seemed a little cheap for Allison standards. Good luck we will be listening to hear you cussin!!