Hydro Steering Install Help Please!

DaveW

Hi all :)

It's time to replace the cables on the XTB-21!

I've got the kit coming, so before I start ripping things out I thought I'd ask if there's any right or wrong things to do.

I'll be replacing the Ally wheel at the same time, and using blinker style trim and plate switches.

If there's any traps to avoid please let me know!

Thanks,

Dave

Bsprout

Sea Star pro kit??? Very easy to install. Comes with instructions. You have to drill four holes to mount the helm.(comes with a template). Make sure you read the instructions carefully!! Pay attention to how you mount the hoses. (Port side on the helm goes to starboard on the cylinder.) Make sure you bleed the system the way the instructions tell you to. Best thing i ever purchased.. Youll love it

GFinch

Couple O Thousand tie wraps on my XB2003. Also I think I read you'll either have to remove the engine or cut the steering cables to slide them out of the steering tubes.

catfish123

I actually got my cables out in 1 piece without damaging them. It's a job, but it can be done.

DaveW

Thanks guys :very happy

My cables are already out of the motor............. the old motor was a right off after my little 'ripped off the transom' episode...........:embarassed

countrycoolio

You may or may not have to widen the hole where the helm mounts, Mine ended up only needing to be filed down a little for the helm to fit snug as a bug in a rug. Like said above a few thousand zip ties. The only thing I did not care for was how I ended up running my hoses & did not have anything to fill the gap where cables were at. Anyone know of a grommet that is made for that, or a plug that will completely fill the hole. You are gonna like it when you get it in....... one more thing, after installing , don't go out & hit it at WFO, I did this & almost threw myself out of the boat, I was used to wrestling my frozen cables & went for a small correction & we went left real fast.

F2008

.....any traps to avoid please let me know!
Thanks, Dave
Keep an eye on the cylinder / hose fittings as you trim it up (not while running, while on the trailer) depending where the motor's mounted the fittings can come close to the jack plate (if any)

GFinch

I used the original split hole plugs and a little black silcone where it goes through the back of the boat. Where the hose runs through the short sections of tube in the boat there is a piece of foam house pipe insulation to keep it from rubbing. Keep checking the adjusting nut that keeps the shaft that goes through the engine clamp. Use a water proof grease on that shaft so it doesn't rust. Make sure you cross the hoses!

DaveW

Thanks very much guys :beer:

Gary, I''ve read all the paperwork that came with the kit, but you've lost me with the 'Make sure you cross the hoses' part, did I miss something?

And with the hoses - run them through the starboard side where the cable used to be, or over the fuel tank and out the back??

SLOmofo

Look carefully at the pic if there is one. I think the helm is labeled S and P. When you roll the hoses out put a wrap of tape around each end of one of the hoses. On my XB2003 I ran one hose down each side through the tubes.
My hoses come out where the original steering came through, from each side. I think if I had more set back (8") I'd run them through the center over the tank. Even though I try to seal them water does get into the rear hatches, not much, not all the time, butt still a little. Less now at 8" and floatation in the set back.
When the first system came out I put one on, late 80s early 90s. I went to the lake and launched fired it up and it steered right when turning left. After a moment of carefull thought, I was thinking I was already at the lake 30 min drive and all, I'd drive it anyway. Nope, back on the trailer and home.

Sometimes I are smart!:big grin Sometimes I arn't! :rolleyes:

F2008

......went to the lake and launched fired it up and it steered right when turning left.
He, he, ...sounds like when I helped my buddy put hydraulic steering on his Bullet. :banghead ...... at least it didn't leak. :wink